pixeltracker

SPIDER-MAN Delays Opening Night AGAIN - March 15- Page 5

SPIDER-MAN Delays Opening Night AGAIN - March 15

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#100The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:44pm

http://ibdb.com/production.php?id=4526

Scott's post reminded me of a similar show w/similar looooong previews. The "infamous" LEGS DIAMOND" starring the inimitable PETER ALLEN. (his understudy - LARRY KERT) My fuzzy recollection (which I just looked up on IBDB) is that the preview period was almost 3 months, and "gossip" about it (just like Spiderman) hit the New York Post practically every wk. Personally, I just LOVED working at that show, it was truly campy, bad in a good way and weirdly entertaining, and the little old matinee ladies adored it! I believe it was Joe Silver's last show, and I'll always remember that stupendous basso voice of his. And that HELLINGER THEATER was the most gorgeous thing alive, with it's round, sky blue, and pink, and gold lobby. What a sight! When this theater was sold, it was, and still is, the biggest shame on B'way. This was one of the most wonderful theaters ever. It's been a church for eons now!
If any saw this show, what was that famous line that Peter Allen said while standing on top of the grand piano? Something about the "critics' and "killing us"??
Updated On: 1/14/11 at 10:44 PM

whyohwhyoh
#101The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:04pm

"Thank you for this. For weeks I've been trying to come to terms with how, after one listen, so many come away not indifferent or unmoved by the music, which is what you'd expect from a bad score, but instead, ENRAGED by it. Really?

In one post you've explained everything. I always suspected an irrational contempt for the musical, or U2, but I wasn't certain until now."

Yes I'm enraged for paying all that money and putting up with this circus that the producers are putting the public through. I am enraged that we live in a society obsessed with celebrity and celebrity worship so that people like Elton John and Bono and the Edge who have not a clue in writing for the theatre are given a PASS because people are afraid to knock them and thought of as being square and uncool. The music is garbage. I like GOOD rock music with a point of view, variety and melody. I like Cold Play, I like Arcade Fire I like Rufus Wainright. Yes an altercocker like me likes that music as well as the classics of Broadway. But this is not good - it's junk, its simplistic, lacking any sort of variety, melody or depth. I am so sad that Broadway and the musical theatre has come to this. Poor Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. Stick in the botox and pretend you're young and clap your hands (actually the songs lack rhythm so forget that) and go out saying "I loved it man, it was coooool!" Enjoy. I know from good and this score is awful. No redeeming song except The Boy Who fell to earth (sic) which sounds like every song U2 ever wrote with the same minor boring chords. But it was at least something melodic in a dirge like way.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#102The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:44pm

and Bono has left the building.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#103The score
Posted: 1/15/11 at 8:39am

CPD, at first I shook my head over that. I posted that gone are the days of composers writing a song overnight and putting it in the show the next day. I assume that at the beginning of all of this, Bono and The Edge put aside time to work on the show before they had to go out on tour. Then you had the show's year long delay and Bono's surgery which messed with U2's touring schedule. He probably has things lined up to do and all of these delays may not work with his current schedule. Had the show opened when it was supposed to I wonder if he and The Edge would have had time to re-work the music? Although, it just seems to me that they are treating it like one of their albums/CD's. The music is written, in place and not going to be changed or changed that much and it doesn't look like they have anything else written for replacement songs. They have been in town for a week or so? Sondheim could have written an entire score in that time. Just my random thoughts.

Just give the world Love.

After Eight
#104The score
Posted: 1/15/11 at 9:14am

"In one post you've explained everything. I always suspected an irrational contempt for the musical, or U2, but I wasn't certain until now."

To Bardolph:

Coming from one who's seen the show, whyohwhyoh's contempt for this music seems quite rational to me, and on the mark, as well!

yournamehere Profile Photo
yournamehere
#105The score
Posted: 1/16/11 at 9:54pm

Whyohwhy's contempt for the music is not understandable neither is his or her typing. "Pull The Trigger" isn't as out of place as you think. I mean the choreography during it is really fun to watch. In terms of the lyrics, which are hard to understand and one of the biggest problems, but they do serve a purpose to the story. Without the pressure of people stealing his work, Osborn would never feel the pressure needed to advance to him becoming the Green Goblin.

henryt
#106The score
Posted: 1/20/11 at 11:28pm

Not to get off topic, but everyone (including the New York Times) has been saying that Nick and Nora is the longest preview period for a musical with 71 previews. According to IBDB, Legs Diamond had 72 previews.