SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#50SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/21/11 at 7:53pm

Except there has been no evolution yet.

There is only one or two people making those kinds of comments -- bashing for someone liking the show.

I didn't like it, but think everyone is entitled to their opinion. People are being brash, because of the poster that said the OP didn't have a right to voice his opinion since he admited to only seeing Act I.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#51SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/21/11 at 7:56pm

Am I the only one who LOVING this thread?

Now this is what a thread about Spider Man should be like!

....but the world goes 'round

bwayfan7000
#52SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/21/11 at 8:01pm

The only thing it's evolved into so far is a show that is settled in its mediocrity. It's just stopped being tremendously risky and frightening for outsiders. I really do hope it improves, that they work through the story and add in new songs. If you enjoy it, more power to you. But if you bitch about how much you hate it after not even seeing the whole thing, or only talk about how it's the best thing ever without substantial reason, that's not a fair evaluation.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

notabb
#53SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/21/11 at 8:33pm

Sorry broadwayfan7 it is VERY fair to post about one act. If you find a show worthless enough to leave after the first act .If you state plainly that that is what you're doing. you have every right to do it. I will now state it as plainly as I can. This show was so bad I left after the first act and do NOT think it's worth a 3D IMAX admission much less the money people are paying. The idea that only by sitting thru the 2nd act could I make my opinion valid is wrong. I wouldn't want anyone to sit thru the 1 hr. 30 mins. of boredom of Act 1 even if the 2nd Act were MY FAIR LADY.

indytallguy
#54SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/22/11 at 8:20am

Like I said in one of my past posts, it would've been helpful if the OP stated in the title of this thread that it was only their disgruntled thoughts on Act 1 - instead of making it appear that this was going to be a thorough and well-thought out review, instead of an angry and poorly written one paragraph about their thoughts on only half of the show.

How does labeling a post with the show name and date in any way suggest it is going to be a thorough and well-thought out review? It suggests to me that it is the OP's take on his/her experience of the show on that date or time. Nothing more, nothing less.

SFFrontRow
#55SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/22/11 at 6:00pm

I saw Spiderman on Friday 1/21 after having my original tickets canceled 4 times (I am from SF and come to NYC 3 times a year for theater). I am the type of theatergoer that sees some quality in everything I see. Except for the sets (which were cartoonish but in most cases fun) and the aerials (gotta respect people taking risks like that) I really kind of hated this show.

Does NO ONE know how to write a good book for a musical? For those of us that have seen it... wouldn't it have made more sense to (1) eliminate the useless Aunt and Uncle (2) minimize the Green Goblin, those stupid supervillians and the totally useless newspaper scenes (3) focus the story on the love triangle relationship of Spidey, MJ and Arachne. I guess you would eliminate all the little boys who wanna see rockem sockem comics.

I also have to ask - what was the deal with the shoes??

And how BAD was the musice - Bono and the Edge should be embarassed by MOST (not all) of the music. How can they be so boring??

I was on the side of the show with all the bad press, now I realize they are just stringing the public along to make as much as they can before the critics open everyone's eyes on how BAD this show really is.

All that having been said, you gotta see it for yourself to judge. We all got our opinions. So, all you that wanna call me a hater, bring it on. Updated On: 1/22/11 at 06:00 PM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#56SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/22/11 at 6:20pm

I'm sorry...but IMO, anyone who says that if you leave a show during intermission and voice your opinion on it is wrong...then your an idiot.

The OP hated the first act. So much so that the chances of the 2nd act making the evening better or making up for the crap that was act 1 was zip! AND...I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the OP has been following the show on these boards, and has most likely heard that out of the two acts, act one is the best (and that is not saying much) so why the hell stick around for it? I've walked out of shows (not on Broadway but tours/regional) because you pay money to see a GOOD show...if you bought a brand new car and the moment you start driving it, the entire thing breaks down, you would want your money back right?? It's essentially the same thing. The first act sucked, he wanted to go home.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#57SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
Posted: 1/22/11 at 6:20pm

From my understanding of the story, the aunt (useless, except for the "overwhelming" factor) and uncle are used as his means to do good (doesn't the uncle say something like that "just triyng to do good" when he gets hit by the car?)...

I agree - The newspaper scenes are boring, but I'm guessing they were frequently in the comic books? I agree though, the music is boring, and just kind of doesn't even register in your head while watching the effects. Why are they two band members on stage? (I mean..I know why they are, but what purpose does it have).

By the way... aren't the sets supposed to be "cartoonish" considering it's based on a comic book?? I thought they were mostly done terrifically.