Rush, Lotto, TKTS Booth?

broadwayjunkie3 Profile Photo
broadwayjunkie3
#1Rush, Lotto, TKTS Booth?
Posted: 2/20/11 at 2:25am

Coming to NY in April (14-19) on a very tight ($500ish for shows) budget.

Must See:
Catch Me If You Can
Book of Mormon
Spiderman
Kushner's new play

Wants/Maybe:
Priscilla
Wonderland
Importance of Being Earnest
Jerusalem
War Horse

Open to more if anyone has any great recommendations. : )

My question is - how to get the best priced tickets? I want to get the most bang for my buck but I do want to be able to see. If the theater is small, back row is not a big deal. But if it is huge, then there is a problem.

I typically use Broadwaybox.com. I have never rushed or done the lotto - but have heard people talk about these options. What exactly are they and what are the chances I can score tickets on Thursday - Sunday night shows. I would hate to make it all the way out there and not see Book of Mormon because I didn't secure my ticket in advance. How much can one usually save? Would the TKTS booth save much more than broadwaybox.com?

Any insider tips and tricks from all the pros would be greatly appreciated. Tips for specific shows would be awesome as well.

Thanks all -

Megs

Updated On: 2/20/11 at 02:25 AM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#2Rush, Lotto, TKTS Booth?
Posted: 2/20/11 at 2:54am

Most of these shows haven't even announced rush policies yet if I'm not mistaken. Roundabout typically has half price seats as student rush or if you're under I believe 35? you can sign up for Hiptix and it might be there but there are no guarantees with that. Lincoln Center's rush policy is also generally $20 2 hours before showtime, but if the show is popular they often won't do it. I got tickets for The Grand Manner easily but I wasn't able to get them for South Pacific the days I tried.

Spider-Man's rush has been crazy and pretty unpredictable...I lucked out getting my tickets back in December but the number of tickets they give out varies each day/performance, though I'd imagine you'd have a better chance going on a 2-show day.

Rush/lotto is typically going to be the cheapest option, but if you're really concerned about seeing the 4 shows you listed as "must-see," I would buy tickets in advance and then risk TKTS/lotto/rush for the others. TKTS is usually half-price but I've seen the discounts as low as 20% off for some shows on some days. It's probably not going to be a massive difference.
Updated On: 2/20/11 at 02:54 AM

broadwayjunkie3 Profile Photo
broadwayjunkie3
#2Rush, Lotto, TKTS Booth?
Posted: 2/21/11 at 2:16am

Thank you so much for your help. This gave me just what I needed.

:)

Megs

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Rush, Lotto, TKTS Booth?
Posted: 2/21/11 at 6:24am

Another thought: You can print up the discounts codes and bring them to the box office -- this will save you all the charges you would have to pay on line. You can prioritize it what you want to see most and go from box office to box office that first day you get there, and then try to fill in with either tkts or rush/lotto.

Remember: some rushes are STUDENT only, and you need a student ID to get your tix.

check out:
http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/82428-Broadway-Rush-Lottery-and-Standing-Room-Only-Policies

and
http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/144419-Off-Broadway-Rush-Standing-Room-and-Inexpensive-Ticket-Policies

for details about individual rush policies.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos