MILK TRAIN revisited

Dollypop
#1MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/6/11 at 9:12am

I paid a return visit to THE MILK TRAIN DOESN'T STOP HERE ANYMORE and found it to be even more intriguing than it was when I saw the play in previews. The performances have grown--especially Maggie Lacey and Darren Pettie, and the play seems to zip along nicely at a swift pace. Of course, Olympia Dukakis remains remarkable as Flora Goforth. Her performance alone makes this must-see theatre.

Is it a perfect play? No. However, Tennessee Williams' prose (okay, "purple prose") is wonderful to hear and there are plenty of elements on stage that are both puzzling and delightful.

I might even go back a third time before this production closes.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 3/6/11 at 09:12 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#2MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/6/11 at 4:17pm

Thanks, Dolly! I was thinking about making a return visit. Loved it the first time and would love another chance to take it in.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/6/11 at 4:23pm

I just noticed this on the website: "Ms. Dukakis will not be performing Wednesday Evening Performances. For these performances, Gordana Rashovich will perform the role of Flora Goforth." I'm not at all familiar with the play. Is the heft of the role too much for Ms. Dukakis to handle 8 times a week? Has she been doing this throughout the whole run, or just as of late?

I'm glad I looked. I was actually planning to attend a Wednesday evening performance, but I've changed my plans to a matinee instead.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

iluvtheatertrash
#3MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/6/11 at 4:24pm

It's a hefty role for a woman her age. She's probably taking it easy (or the producers WANT her to take it easy) so she can handle the length of the run.

You definitely don't want to see this without her. Haven't seen Gordana, but this is definitely Olympia's show.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/6/11 at 4:26pm

Exactly. I only really want to see it with Olympia, considering the star performance she's giving.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Swirly Profile Photo
Swirly
#5MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:26pm

Yes Olympia is such a star. The production has gotten stronger Dollypop. Enjoyed it both times I visited.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/7/11 at 1:45pm

I was thinking about seeing this...

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Dollypop
#7MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/7/11 at 9:04pm

By all means see it. You even get a bit of full frontal nudity.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/7/11 at 9:24pm

I cannot believe I am actually agreeing with Dolly about a show. Will wonders never cease.

Poster Emeritus

Dollypop
#9MILK TRAIN revisited
Posted: 3/8/11 at 1:37pm

Roxy, every once in a while you do have the happy fortune of lapsing into good taste.

Updated On: 3/8/11 at 01:37 PM

Videos