pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 6

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Rentfan931
#125Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/12 at 11:10pm

Does anyone know if Bianca or Amra will be out of the show anytime soon?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#126Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/25/12 at 1:31am

I hope they are both present when I see the show(s). I've never seen either one and am looking forward to it. from Roman in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#127Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/25/12 at 6:27am

I just saw the show Tuesday night. (I brought my kids to see it.) It was WORLDS better then when I saw it last spring with Christie Brinkley (I can't believe they are bringing her back). I really liked Marroquin and the cast in general, but both Wright and Zunino left me wanting more. They weren't "bad" -- just not quite right. She never had any innocence or character growth. Zunino's accent drove me nuts. Since he was trying to BE American, his natural accent filtered in at such weird times that it was distracting as hell. Mighty easy on the eyes, however.

BTW...seeing it from the second row you can see how aged much of the cast actually is. Ouch.

Overall, it did a great job erasing Brinkley's performance, but I won't need to go back for another 5 or so years!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#128Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/25/12 at 11:50am

Well, I guess one of the reasons that the producers are giving Christie Brinkley another "shot" is that she helped quite a bit with the box office. That's the bottom line in many instances. She's done the role in London, so maybe she's improved? If the Chicago tour happens to go thru Texas (it's a big state), then I'll definitely drive there...if anything for curiousity. Usually, when there's a celebrity Roxie, she's paired up with an extremely talented Velma. Since Terra C McLeod did the tour last summer, then hopefully she'll get the nod again. She is AMAzing! I'm certain that the Chicago tour cast is ready to hit the road. They're enormously talented. T.W. Smith played Mary Sunshine in the tour. I am curious about one thing though. Does Christie Brinkley actually do the cartwheel bit during the end of "Hot Honey Rag"? Just wondering..... from Roman in Austin, Texas (am thrilled to bits to be visiting New York City very soon...from March 10-13, 2012) P.S. So far, the tour has three stops: San Diego, L.A. and Durham, North Carolina.

Chicago the Musical Tour

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 2/25/12 at 11:50 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#129Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/4/12 at 5:26pm

As my trip to NYC is rapidly approaching, I was wondering if anyone (who reads this) is attending either the Sat. March 10th 8 p.m. show or either show on March 11th. Perhaps we can chat a bit before or after? Just wondering.... from Roman in Austin, Texas P.S. Does anyone have any recent "Chicago" stage door stories to share?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#130Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/4/12 at 5:54pm

Wow. I've never really bothered to click on the link to Equity Auditions. I found this audition info for the upcoming national tour of "Chicago." The process of auditioning is interesting. from RC in Austin, Texas (visiting NYC from March 10--13th, 2012). Seeing: March 10th: possibly "Other Desert Cities" @ 2:30 p.m. & Chicago--8:00pm; March 11th: Chicago--2:30 pm & 7 pm; March 12th: Evita: first preview @ 8 pm

CHICAGO – Equity Principal Auditions

National Touring Company

SETA Tour, Category 2; Tier approval & salary level pending

Producers: Fran and Barry Weissler

Music: John Kander

Lyrics: Fred Ebb

Book: Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse

Director: Walter Bobbie

Choreographer: Ann Reinking/Gary Chryst

Musical Supervisor: Rob Fisher

Casting Director: Duncan Stewart/Benton Whitley of Duncan Stewart and Company

Rehearsal NYC: 4/30 – 5/6/12. First Performance Leg: 5/7 – 6/3/12 (7 week layoff)

Second Performance Leg: 7/14 – 10/14/12

*Note All actors will be hired for BOTH legs of the tour.

Equity Principal Auditions:

Friday, March 16, 2012 at Ripley Grier Studios

10 AM – 6 PM 520 8th Avenue 16th Floor

Lunch from 2 - 3. (Studio 16D) (Studio 16E holding)

New York City

Please prepare a brief, standard, up-tempo Broadway song to sing (no pop or rock). Bring sheet music; an accompanist will be provided. (Note: there will be no dancing at this call; any women coming in to be seen as Roxie or Velma will be brought back to dance if there is any further interest)

Please bring a picture and resume, stapled together.

Seeking Equity actors for:

Roxie Hart:

33 – 45, any ethnicity. An innocent with the ability to murder; sexy; funny. Actress must be a spectacular dancer in the Fosse style, with a big, first-rate Broadway belt voice.

Velma Kelly:

30 – 45, any ethnicity. Sarcastic, extremely sexy, tough, funny murderer with a keen eye for publicity. Actress must be a spectacular dancer in the Fosse style, with a big, first-rate Broadway belt voice.

Billy Flynn:

38 - 60, any ethnicity. Suave, educated lawyer who can talk and wheedle and persuade anyone to do anything - - his clients literally get away with murder. Sexy, handsome, charming, masculine. Actor must have a wonderful baritone voice and move well.

Amos Hart:

38 - 58, any ethnicity. Charming, funny, vulnerable milquetoast of a man, so in love with his wife that he would mortgage anything to pay for her outrageous extravagances. Actor must sing well and be physically adept; a comic-sad character actor.

Matron “Mama” Morton:

37 - 55, any ethnicity. Role requires a great belt voice and a sexy, funny, powerful and tough character actress.

Mary Sunshine:

Any age, any ethnicity. Male soprano or countertenor who can sing LEGITIMATELY up to a high B flat. Acts like a good natured talk show hostess, but is actually a high-powered gossip columnist. Actor must be a good comedian and a GREAT legit singer.

Read more: https://www.broadwayworld.com/equitylisting.php?id=3808#ixzz1oBuJRSND

Patti LuPone FANatic
#131Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/4/12 at 9:59pm

Here's an intriguing thought: Jane Krakowski as "Roxie Hart." In a Broadway.com Ask A Star interview, she is quoted as saying she was asked to play that role, while she was in "Ally McBeal." She couldn't do it because the hiatus period was very short. Still, she says she'd love to be "Roxie" at some point. from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#132Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/11/12 at 9:26am

Hello all. I'm here in my room at the Washington-Jefferson. I had a great time seeing "Chicago" on Saturday, March 10, 2012 8pm. I decided to get there a little early to see how many of the cast members I could recognize. I noticed Jason Patrick Sands (swoon), Ryan Worsing and almost didn't notice Bianca Marroquin. Around 7:15 a.m., I saw someone leave thru the stage door. I barely saw him, but it was Chicago's Billy Flynn...Tony Yazbek. I thought this was odd. Apparently, he was feeling under the weather on that evening. There were quite a few substitutions in this show. Brian O Brian took over the role of Billy Flynn. He was amazingly good! Brian had tremendous charm in his portrayal. He sustained an very long time at...for THE.......gun! Jason Patrick Sands went on as Fred Casely. He was quite good....and very good looking in his form-fitting attire. The doctor& judge was played by David Kent. The role of Liz went to Sharon Moore. Nicole Bridgewater did "Mama Morton". I was pleasantly surprised. I managed to pick a not very good seat. It was a front row seat, but I was at the end of the stage, close to where one of the characters sits on a chair. Needless to say, I couldn't see the right section of the stage (from my viewpoint). The actor who played Amos...Raymond Bokhour was an audience favorite. He was witty and charming. After the show, I waited by the stage door and took pics with Bianca Marroquin, Ryan Lowe and Michael Cusumano. They were very lovely and chatted a bit with me and the other fans. I'm still a bit surprised that there so few people at the "Chicago" stage door. What's up with that? It's 9:25 a.m. EST, so I have some time to burn before my 2:30 p.m. show. I've included some pics. from Roman in (NYC at the moment) Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#133Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/11/12 at 9:30am

with Ryan Lowe

Patti LuPone FANatic
#134Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/11/12 at 9:32am

with Michael Cusumano

Patti LuPone FANatic
#135Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/11/12 at 5:24pm

I just got back from seeing the 2:30 pm Sunday matinee. It was a great show! Carole Woods performed as Mama. Now, I've never seen her, but she was phenomenal! Her characterization is amazing and sassssy! She delivered the line:"now every son of a bitch...." with such grace and class. Tony Yazbek was still under the weather, so Brian O Brian went on as Billy Flynn. He is a great performer. Michael Cusumano was too funny as The Jury. He even channeled a bit of his own personal character "Olga." Now, I have to get ready for the 7:00 pm evening matinee. I'm having a swell time! from RC in New York City.

ChildrenwillListen
#136Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/12/12 at 8:50pm

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed Chicago. I didn't think I would. My mom didn't like it when she saw it. I loved the dancing. I was always a fan of All That Jazz and Cell Block Tango so they were my two favorite numbers. And I was excited too because John O'Hurley was in it and he was amazing!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#137Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/9/12 at 6:42pm

So, how is Christie Brinkley doing in her "return" to "Chicago". She's doing the national tour. Hopefully, she has improved. I'm planning on seeing the tour in August in Dallas. By the way, does anyone have an idea who will be the touring "Velma"? from RC in Austin, Texas

spike3
#138Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/9/12 at 7:04pm

its not as bad as one might expect. First off, she looks great. Ms. Brinkley has a certain charm when acting, so she aint bad. As for her singing and dancing? Lets say she didnt fall, and she hit most of the notes. The chorus is given some vocals to cover the weakness of the star. Reminds me of the early days of Vegas when thay grabbed some B movie star and put them onstage in their own show.
The cart wheel is not there, nor is really any of the Fosse style.

As for the show? Well its just there, thats all, just there.

Shubert Theatre 1997/Ambassador Theatre 2012? Like night and day, night and day.
Updated On: 4/9/12 at 07:04 PM

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#139Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/9/12 at 7:07pm

When is Charlotte back?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#140Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/9/12 at 7:58pm

Theatre Nut, I was looking at a Kerry Butler inteview with Paul W. I was thinking....how about Kerry as a potential "Roxie"? She has the voice and can certainly dance. What well known Broadway names could be a Roxie or Velma? Just wondering...from RC in Austin, Texas P.S. I think that some Broadway vets might not sign on because the roles of Roxie and Velma are usually for a short duration (only a few weeks).

Patti LuPone FANatic
#141Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 4/30/12 at 10:08pm

Wow..."Chicago" has a semi-complicated actor schedule in the next few months: per Telecharge

Amra-Faye Wright as Velma (thru 5/6; 6/4 - 8/4)
Terra C. MacLeod as Velma (5/7 - 6/3)
Tracy Shayne as Roxie (thru 5/27)
Tony Yazbeck as Billy (thru 6/17)
Carol Woods as Mama Morton (thru 5/6; resumes 6/4 - 9/16)
Roz Ryan as Mama Morton (5/7 - 6/3)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos (thru 9/16)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 5/6, 6/4 - 7/29, 8/13 - 9/16)
D. Micchiche as Mary Sunshine (5/7 - 6/3)
C. Newcomer as Mary Sunshine (7/30 - 8/12)

from RC in Austin, Texas

Updated On: 4/30/12 at 10:08 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#142Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:02am

it's usually like this for Chicago. I see Yazbeck extend for two more months.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#143Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/2/12 at 7:19pm

Hello all. For those of you who will be in NYC between July 10--15, you'll have the chance to see the Japanese "Roxie" (Ryoko Yonekura). I know some of you are just "dying" to find out when Pamela Anderson plays "Roxie". : ) from RC in Austin, Texas
Chicago

Patti LuPone FANatic
#144Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:56pm

According to Tony Yazbek on Facebook, today is the last day for Ryan Worsing in "Chicago". He will be missed by his fans. from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#145Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/12/12 at 8:47am

I'm a recent fan of "Chicago". For those of you who have seen the show on tour and Broadway....which "Roxies" and "Velmas" have stood out for you....in a good way (or not so good way). I've secured a ticket to see "Chicago" in Dallas this coming August 18th, before the tour goes to Japan. Christie Brinkley will be "Roxie". To what extent has she improved, since she did her initial stint on Broadway? I have a first row, right orchestra seat...so I guess I'll get a fairly close view of the entire show. from RC in Austin, Texas

Updated On: 7/12/12 at 08:47 AM

Rentfan931
#146Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/12/12 at 11:17am

Brinkley is only performing in the LA engagements which took place in May, and the Durnham engagement (7/29-8/5). Amra-Faye is set to be her Velma during the Durnham engagement.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#147Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/12/12 at 9:44pm

I could have sworn Christie was doing the show in Dallas. I've asked someone to give me some information about that. If not Christie, then who? Tracey Shayne? from rC in Austin, Texas

joeybiltmore1
#148Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/12/12 at 10:49pm

Saw the show last week and thought it was in great shape. The audience went bananas for it. All leads very strong.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#149Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/12/12 at 11:32pm

Where did you see this tour? I thought the tour was on a break and it resumed on July 31st? Hmmm. RC in Austin,Texas