pixeltracker

Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!- Page 2

Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!
Posted: 4/13/11 at 6:45am

Obviously, Universal didn't WANT to make a little film. It happens all the time.

Most people don't know where the Heights are? What a ridiculous thing to state! If you don't live in NYC, of course you don't know the neighborhoods. Just like people in NYC don't know the different names for the regions around the Great Lakes, or the different names of the areas surrounding Boston. Why WOULD the rest of the country know. In what way is that SAD?

I liked ITH, thought it was cute. I think even with big Latino names, it would have likely failed miserably -- just like Nine. (I mean this from a financial pov.)

Will American Idiot succeed? Don't know, but it will certainly have a bigger built in fan base.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#26Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!
Posted: 4/13/11 at 9:52am

Idiot will work much better as a film than as a stage show, I think. The points that seemed abstract through staging will "pop" onscreen.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#27Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!
Posted: 4/13/11 at 12:29pm

Not having a plot didn't stop Across the Universe from getting made.

In the Heights could work as a film, but it would be a very different beast than the Broadway show. They'd have to add a lot more spoken book and cut back on the songs (cut some, shorten others) to appeal to a wider audience. There would have to be a little more front-loading of exposition to set the stage of Washington Heights, as well.

The real expense would be in marketing the film. It would take a really big push to draw audiences in and even then it could backfire. Do you show the rapping or hide it and let less open movie goers complain later? Do you pick out a plot point to sell it on or market it as an explosive musical tableau with different sets and dances and everything else? This isn't "featuring the music of ABBA" or even "starring Beyonce." This is an original musical from a first time writer/composer in a very distinct style that might not grab a large audience across the country as quick as Hollywood expects.

Probably the best thing would be for In the Heights to be made by an independent production company, toured on the festival circuit, and then worry about getting mainstream distribution.

American Idiot, on the other hand, hinges on Green Day. You know, the band that got its own version of Rock Band and gets major press for everything they do? That's enough to guarantee a decent return at the box office for a major studio.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#28Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!
Posted: 4/13/11 at 1:39pm

Hollywood "knows" everything and "knows" nothing. There's no way My Big Fat Greek Wedding will be a hit. Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy - sure fire winner.

And a musical about a bunch of jews in Czarist Russia based on some yiddish writer's stories? Come on. Where's the audience for that? Even if a hit on Broadway it's probably too "Jewish" for a film version. And you want to cast some Israeli guy as the lead? Who ever heard of a Topol? But, give me Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren in a musical based on a classic piece of literature - sure fire winner.

The problem with ITH for "hollywood" is that I don't think there's a Latin actor who could open the film in the US. So, without that "star," it's tough to get the financing. Without Travolta, there supposedly would never have been a Hairspray. It would take someone to just get behind it and make the darn thing for 30-35M. I'd try to get Univision to finance and help market.

Jon
#29Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!
Posted: 4/13/11 at 3:30pm

When was the last Latino-based movie that made money? The Selena biopic? La Bamba? The Family Perez?

Movies with virtually all-Latino casts don't sell.