pixeltracker

PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory

PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#1PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:38am

Any word on how this is. Just got two tickets for Saturday and it looks good. 10+ to adults is recommended age, so it's not a kiddie production. Karen Kandel won an Opie and is doing the role again.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#2PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:54am

Saw it - what, 10-12 years ago? - very entertaining.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#2PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:58am

Me too.

It's very beautiful. Slightly melancholy, very imaginative. Also a wonderful Celtic-flavored score (if it's the same as the production I saw).

Pammylicious
#3PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:59am

Great.....NYC press online is excited about the return.......7 of the original cast members are returning. That says wonders for a show.

Pammylicious
#4PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/7/11 at 7:02pm

Just came back from the matinee and have to tell you, this show was beautiful, tender and emotional done in a way I have never seen before. The puppetry is amazing. The music chilling. Karen is unbelievable (she does all the speaking roles and is narrator.) Half the audience was sobbing at the end.

I thing this will be at the New Victory until 5/22. Good for kids 8+ , adults, grandparents, pretty much everyone.

One thing I had about NV shows is that people assume since it's a children/family theater they can bring their babies, 2 year olds, 5 year olds. This show is not for the very young, and said that age appropriate was 10+, so what do these morons do.....bring screaming babies and toddlers............UGH!!!!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/7/11 at 7:33pm

I was at the matinee today, too.

The staging, direction, performances, and score were all wonderful.

The script, however, needs to be cut WAY down to an 80-minute no-intermission show. There are MANY minutes in the show that just lag on and on and on. At intermission there was no button to indicate that there was going to be a break.

For me, the real treat was to see Barrie's novel done on stage. They included the Kite, the Wolves, and the Never Bird. Some of Barrie's words worked magnificently on stage. Others became narrative that was not needed.

Other than the issues with the script, Karen Kandel's performance was majestic and the real highlight of the piece. Her acting was so strong -- you forgot you were watching puppets.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Pammylicious
#6PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/7/11 at 7:40pm

I have to agree with you about the length...I too noticed many pauses that were unnecessary. It made the book drag.

I really forgot that Peter was a puppet and the dog also.

jbm2
#7PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/7/11 at 11:16pm

I really want to see this production, but don't get back into town until the first week of June... any chance this could be extended? Does NV ever do that??

lowwriter
#8PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/8/11 at 4:10am

This is a wonderful, magical show. I have the recording and the music is lovely. I saw it at the New Victory a few years ago. If it were playing over Memorial Day Weekend I would go see it again.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/8/11 at 9:21am

Finally caught this legendary production last night and it's pure magic- I understand hooks comments about the pacing but I think it's part of the dream like aesthetic they are going for and which ultimately succeeds brilliantly. I certainly am not an advocate of the idea of trimming it- the show has been around for fifteen years and won countless awards- the formula ain't broke..

Just go- be prepared to let the pace unfold leisurely and revel in the haunting experience and the deeply moving performances and genius stagecraft . Karen really is an amazing presence.

Updated On: 5/8/11 at 09:21 AM

Pammylicious
#10PETER AND WENDY at the New Victory
Posted: 5/11/11 at 11:21am

NY Post gave it 4 stars in today's paper. Wonderful review.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/puppets_take_neverland_IQepbfJzx9cgfmFvdqNV1I

Videos