scuzzo
#50Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 10/12/12 at 1:22pm

Tough crowd! Nice.

Quiche2 Profile Photo
Quiche2
#51Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 10/13/12 at 10:48am

MdG, thank you for pointing that out. I never thought about it, but I just listened to Sal Tlay Ka Siti and Solla Sollew, and they are strikingly similar.

Theatre is my life. No one can take that away from me.

rhdery Profile Photo
rhdery
#52Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 10/13/12 at 8:17pm

"Hello" reminds me s great deal of Hi Ho Ho Ho it's off to work we go" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Not saying it was intentional, but I hear it.

Quiche2 Profile Photo
Quiche2
#53Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 10/13/12 at 8:43pm

rhdery, so true. never thought about that either. i always thouhg "hi ho, hi ho" was disney's way of greeting a slut.

Theatre is my life. No one can take that away from me.

rhdery Profile Photo
rhdery
#54Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 10/13/12 at 10:53pm

Hahz!

Plus
#55Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 7/3/13 at 2:37pm

In several of the video interviews with Stone, Parker & Lopez available on YouTube they talk about making an effort to push as many references as possible Book of Mormon Musical References As a way of acknowledging their heritage, and showing respect.

I've mainly noticed the ones in the lyrics and script. Apart from the obvious ones from Lion King and Star Wars, I first spotted the same as raker:

"A captain with seven children / What's so fearsome about that?"
"A warlord who shoots people in the face / What's so scary about that?"

And earlier from Annie:

"I can do most anything! / Can you bake a pie?"
"Cause I can do most anything! / And I can stand next to you and watch!"

I think it falls in line with The Lion King, which itself is based on Shakespeare's Hamlet. Like Book of Mormon, Lion King have references to their roots. Eg in Hakuna Matata, where Timon quotes Romeo & Juliet ("What's in a name?").

GillJos
#56Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 7/9/13 at 8:21pm

As previously mentioned by others, "You and Me (But Mostly Me)" definitely has bits of Wicked "Defying Gravity" (underscore) and perhaps "The Wizard and I" (lyrics) but how come no one has mentioned the influences from the lyrics of "Popular" (i.e. "but not as popular as MEEEE" is parallel to "but mostly MEEEE")

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#57Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 7/10/13 at 10:10am

The part of the song where nabulungi's dad says "my daughter has a... wonderful disposition and if either of you lay a hand on her... I will give you my AIDS." isn't that referencing the father in In The Heights?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#58Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 7/10/13 at 10:23am

Some of you are getting quite carried away.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#59Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 8/30/13 at 8:07am

The first 2 lines of "All I ask of you" from PHANTOM have a very close melody to the first 2 lines of "Tomorrow is a latter day".

"No more talk of darkness/Forget these wide-eyed fears"

"Don't worry little buddy/Know this much is true"

copskid949 Profile Photo
copskid949
#60Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 9/6/13 at 6:22pm

You and Me is the most obvious parody of Wicked in a musical ever.

It has a:

similar beginning

similar middle

But then it gets into Defying Gravity mixed with it, even sharing the very end of DG.

enthusiast99
#61Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:12am

Price sings the "Something Incredible" theme many times throughout the show. This is a direct reference to the "Unlimited" theme from Wicked that Elphaba reprises multiple times.

As someone said earlier on this thread, Trey, Matt, Bobby, Casey, and Stephen have all said multiple times in interviews that these references are intentional. There are actually quite a few of them in the show, some very subtle. Trey and Matt have always loved Broadway, and they are lovingly ripping off many of their own favorite songs. The idea is that each of these songs being referenced are brilliant in their own right, so why try to reinvent the wheel? If it has worked before, why not use it again in a new context?

#62Book of Mormon Musical References
Posted: 5/27/17 at 11:50am

Wow I know this thread is OLD but I just saw this show yesterday and found this thread mentions so many things I thought while seeing the show.

I'll throw in one that I noticed. In Baptize Me, there's a point where Cunningham sings "Baptize HER again" while Nabulungi sings at the exact same time "Baptize ME again". It reminded me instantly of the title song from Phantom of the Opera where the phantom sings "The phantom of the opera is THERE inside YOUR mind" while Christine sings simultaneously "The phantom of the opera is HERE inside MY mind".

I know Phantom isn't the first time 2 singers have sung different words at the same time but it's instantly what I thought of.

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 11:50 AM