pixeltracker

Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings- Page 2

Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#25Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/13/11 at 1:26pm

Winston89,

I've never heard of any such requirement. As b12 noted, Thomas Mitchell won Best Actor for a non-singing role in 1953, Natalia Makarova in 1983, and Boyd Gaines and Karen Ziemba both won in 2000 for non-singing roles. I have read the Tony rules (linked below) and no such proviso is mentioned.
http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/about/Rules-2010-2011FINAL.pdf

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

AwesomeDanny
#26Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/13/11 at 1:28pm

Zach in A Chorus Line (would you call him a lead?)

Musicaldudepeter
#27Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/13/11 at 1:56pm

Jerry Springer in 'Jerry Springer the Opera' doesn't sing a note. He only talks.

Jon
#28Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/13/11 at 2:45pm

Jeeves in ALW's "By Jeeves" has one verse of spoken patter. On the other hand Bertie Wooster, who is the real lead, is in EVERY song in the show except one love ballad.

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#29Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/13/11 at 3:34pm

Two I can think of:

Finian barely sings in his own Rainbow.

I believe Oliver only sings one song (lamely) in his own show.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#30Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/13/11 at 3:39pm

Oliver actually sings in 4 songs.

Patty3
#31Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 1:07pm

Nathan Detroit in Guys & Dolls. He sings a few solo lines in Oldest Established with ensemble and then Sue Me as a duet with Adelaide. My nephew played Nathan in his high school production. He was thrilled to get such a great character part but not thrilled that he didn't have much to sing.

Gothampc
#32Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 1:20pm

Herbie in Gypsy doesn't have a lot of singing. I don't think he has any solos, it's all group singing.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

daredevil
#33Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 1:27pm

In Destry Rides Again, the second male lead (the villain) has no songs. Originally, the role was played by Scott Brady, who probably was no singer, but two of his replacements during the Broadway run were Art Lund, and David Atkinson, both of whom had great voices. I think a lot depends on who the original performer was, if a performer did not have a great voice, not much music would be written for him, even if his book role was important.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#34Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 1:50pm

Julian in 42nd Street only has 1 song and a reprise.

Jon
#35Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 2:31pm

Herbie in Gypsy sings six solo lines in You'll Never Get Away From Me and a few solos in Together.

Gothampc
#36Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 2:52pm

"Herbie in Gypsy sings six solo lines in You'll Never Get Away From Me and a few solos in Together."

I meant that there were no songs that were his character songs. All solo songs belong to either Rose or Louise

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#37Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 2:54pm

Les Mis.

Haha

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#38Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 2:55pm

Yes, Herbie's song "Nice She Ain't" was cut because Jack Klugman was not a strong singer.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#39Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 2:59pm

THE COLOR PURPLE is an interesting case: The lead (Celie) only has one solo ("I'm Here"), which comes at the very end of an almost three-hour musical, and one tiny little song ("Somebody Gonna Love You") at the beginning. She sings a lot in ensemble numbers and has a lot of stage time, but as compared to other leading roles (just for example: Momma Rose), she doesn't exactly have the amount of solo music you'd associate with a lead.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#40Musicals where the lead doesn't or rarely sings
Posted: 11/14/11 at 6:27pm

How about Katharine Hepburn as Coco Chanel in "Coco"? The sounds coming out of her mouth in no way resembles actual singing. To me, Ms. Hepburn's "singing" voice is painful to hear...even worse than Lauren Bacall's. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)