pixeltracker

The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak

The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/8/11 at 9:49pm

I'm sure there a couple Jim Brochu fart jokes in there, but honestly a guy came on stage 10 minutes into Act 2, informed us that gas had filled the basement and we all had to leave the theater immediately.

It made me think of that scene from "Murder By Death" where Elsa Lanchester and Estelle Winwood are trapped in their room and Lanchester says, "I think I smell gas," and Winwood responds, "I can't help it, I'm old!" Lanchester then answers, "Not that kind of gas. The kind that kills," and she replies, "Well sometimes my gas does kill!" Ha!

Back to the show, I guess it's hard to judge a production of Man Who Came to Dinner on the first act alone, but judging from what I did see I probably won't be trying to find time to go back and see the last two acts. I think the play still holds up, but this felt like any old community theater production you might see. Too bad we didn't even get to Cady Huffman's entrance!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Tom5
#2The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/9/11 at 2:30pm

If this Kaufman-Hart comedy was done properly there must have been a great deal of smoking on stage, so it was a good idea to evacuate. Might also be a good idea to renovate St. Clements with an eye toward both safety and wheelchair seating. Casting a professional eye on spanking new scripts with wide audience appeal (Such as Brochu's Zero Mostel masterpiece) might be of help to that end.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/9/11 at 2:35pm

I was just going to ask if anyone has seen this production as it is one of my favorite plays.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/9/11 at 4:07pm

It's seeping in through the vents!!
http://movieactors.com/freezeframes22/MurderByDeath40.jpeg

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#4The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/9/11 at 5:43pm

I wish I could see this production, I've been hearing great things!

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#5The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/10/11 at 7:52am

Turns out the "leak" was actually fumes from a fuel oil delivery next door. But the producers, not knowing the situation, erred on the side of safety and sent everyone home. No one was in any actual danger, thankfully.

The production is in terrific shape, btw, if you haven't seen it. Because it's an Equity showcase contract, the rehearsal and preview periods were EXTREMELY short, so early viewers and even critics witnessed a production still finding its way around the stage.

Because of the contract and the huge cast, it can only run a couple more weeks, so if you really love the play, now is the best time to really see it firing on all cylinders -- and it's playing to sold out houses. So, I'd suggest getting tickets now. It's an inexpensive show, especially for the terrific cast, gorgeous set and lavish costumes.

Steve Schalchlin
(associated with production)
Living In The Bonus Round, my personal blog

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#6The Man Who Came To Dinner had a gas leak
Posted: 12/10/11 at 8:04am

Thanks for the info Steve. I will try to check it out this coming week.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.