pixeltracker

Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies- Page 2

Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies

Wildcard
#25Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 5:05pm

Tickets are now also available at the CTG website. Many good orchestra seats for the days I looked at were already gone though most seats at the Ahmanson are not bad anyway.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#26Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 6:24pm

Let the Bernadette Peters trashing begin, before Victoria Clark even goes on stage...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:14pm

^ Exactly. Kind of irritating.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#28Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:16pm

"...but Bernadette's performance was puzzling, to say the least..."

I agree completely WWII. I saw the show this past weekend. I thought "In Buddy's Eyes" showed promise. But the rest of her performance was so overwrought and weepy, I couldn't understand her choices. She milked "Losing My Mind" like he was in a high school production. She started the song crying and progressed to the point that she was literally squatting on the stage, croaking the song out while wiping tears from her face.

Other than her performance, I thought the production, and all the other performers, were brilliant. So I can't wait to see this production pulled into place with a proper Sally.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:27pm

I saw Clark play Sally at Encores and I saw Bernadette in DC and I thought Clark gave the better performance. Overwrought and weepy, as artscallion said, is exactly what I thought of Peters.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#30Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:34pm

I'm sorry, the fact that you didn't like a performance doesn't mean that the performer wasn't "proper".

But it's not like trashing Peters isn't popular on BWW - I pretty much feel it is the general consensus that a monkey could pull off any performance better than her.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:37pm

The Peters trashing actually seems fairly recent to me. Patti LuPone has been getting trashed here by some since day one, LOL.

Updated On: 1/11/12 at 07:37 PM

BroadwayFan12
#32Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:38pm

I guess I'm in the minority because I love Bernadette's Sally, although she does overdo it at times. Vicki Clark is a phenomenal talent herself and I'm thrilled for her.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:44pm

The Peters trashing actually seems fairly recent to me. Patti LuPone has been getting trashed here by some since day one, LOL.

Whether she's successful or not, Peters is one of the few Broadway stars that will never give you the performance you were expecting from her. I know that must be infuriating to some, but I rather see someone from her caliber explore and risk and get it wrong, than a calculated performance like...you know, other Broadway stars usually give. Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies

artscallion
#34Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:50pm

"...I'm sorry, the fact that you didn't like a performance doesn't mean that the performer wasn't "proper". ..."

Proper's in the eye of the beholder, Blaxx. So, um yeah...in my opinion, it does. Since when does an educated audience member not get to express whether they thought a performer/performance was proper to the role? I thought that's what this site was for...to discuss how we felt about shows and performers. Didn't know BP was hands off.

I never come on BWW to bash any performer. So don't lump me in with your serial bashers. I just saw this production this weekend and had strong and specific feelings about it. Just because you don't like hearing them, or because there's been a glut of the same opinion lately, doesn't mean my opinions aren't valid.

Updated On: 1/11/12 at 07:50 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#35Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:51pm

I should say that I actually like Bernadette Peters- I thought she was fantastic in A Little Night Music, and I love her performances on the Sunday/Into the Woods recordings. But I just didn't enjoy her work in this production.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#36Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:53pm

Proper's in the eye of the beholder, Blaxx.

It's blaxx for you, love. You're right, of course, it's great you'll get to finally enjoy the show with a "proper" performer for the role.

artscallion
#37Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 7:53pm

Same with me WW. I've loved her in many things. I'm not a BP hater in the least. I just thought she was awful in Follies.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:04pm

, but I rather see someone from her caliber explore and risk and get it wrong, than a calculated performance like...you know, other Broadway stars usually give.

I TOTALLY agree.

artscallion
#39Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:05pm

Your problem is with my word choice? Really?

Merriam-Webster
proper: marked by suitability, rightness, or appropriateness : fit

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#40Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:19pm

I did say you were right (look up). If you don't think Peters is suitable, right or appropriate for the role, then you'll soon have Clark who is obviously all that and more. I just rather watch an "awful" uncalculated performance from a risk taker, is all.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#41Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:26pm

I don't get how this became a discussion about calculated and uncalculated performances, or what exactly that even means in this context.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#42Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:29pm

It's nothing, love. I was just addressing how Clark's performance magically became better than Peter's, even before she starts. But I see that a lot of posters found Peters so awful, that they think even Miss Piggy could do better.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#43Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:32pm

Well, Clark has performed the role before, albeit in a concert-style setting. It isn't as if people are just assuming.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#44Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:32pm

Well, some of us have seen her play the role already. Shrug a dug dug.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#45Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:34pm

Well, Clark has performed the role before, albeit in a concert-style setting. It isn't as if people are just assuming.

I'm sure a few here are assuming, but anyhow...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#46Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:35pm

I saw Clark LIVE in the Encores! concert, and I much prefer Bernadette's performance. But I DO think Clark has it in her to deliver a wonderful Sally in a full scale production.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#47Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:35pm

The thread you're reading must have different posts than the one I'm reading, blaxx. Updated On: 1/11/12 at 08:35 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#48Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:38pm

Well, b***h better be the 8th wonder, or else I'll pay you a visit, PRS! Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#49Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:42pm

I mean, clearly it's all subjective. I didn't NOT want to like Peters in the role when I saw it in DC, but I just didn't care for almost any of the choices she made. And even though Bernadette had the longer rehearsal period, had more performances under her belt and had the benefit of a full production around her, I still liked Clark better at Encores.

But seriously, I don't see much "bashing" of Peters in this thread, certainly not enough to warrant all these noses out of joint.