#1Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/21/12 at 11:57pm

WHY..........?

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#2Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/22/12 at 12:05am

Because it kind of rocks.

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:37am

A lot of people complain about the "musical parody" genre being devaluing to the state of musical theatre, but I think it works in some cases. The essential function of parody is to take something and make it ridiculous by heightening its attributes. Since the function of music in a musical is to heighten moments with song, dance and staging, the musical as a parody vehicle makes even more sense than any other genre... in particular because the conventions of the stage are more predictable and limited than those of film, novel or television, due to those being not "real-time" devices.

This doesn't mean that all of them will work... for every "A Very Potter Musical" or "Evil Dead" there's something like "The Darq Knight" which seemed like a knockoff of AVPM mixed with Rock of Ages.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#3Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/22/12 at 12:43pm

^^ Well said.

bobbybaby85
#4Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/22/12 at 2:36pm

The Evil Dead and Toxic Avenger at least had melodic songs... Have you listened to this stuff? The entire show is on YouTube... It sounds like someone without any idea how to write music wrote it.

Did anyone see the recent reading? Did it get better?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/22/12 at 8:21pm

Sondheim complained in "Finishing The Hat" about meta-musicals being the death of Broadway, but meta-films and meta-television have not killed these more culturally significant mediums.

I think it's somewhat sour grapes in his situation... as one of the few HUGELY significant and successful writers of serious, artistic musical theatre, I'm sure he slightly resents anything that lampshades the fact that musicals, especially musicals that also include dancing, are (behind the suspension of disbelief) inherently absurd, at least in a way that straight plays, film and television are not.

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#6Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:32pm

Bobby - it's a totally different show

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#7Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/23/12 at 8:48am

Darque,, I'm not sure that's fair--Sondheim after all has been well known to allow people to uyse his music when doing parodies (and not to try to come up with something similar the way, say, Forbidden Broadway had to do with ALW';s works).

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#8Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/23/12 at 5:54pm

I wasn't aware that it was a parody.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Did anyone see FELLOWSHIP! at NYMF 2 years ago? It was super funny and they did a good job of putting the story of The Lord of The Rings on stage in a comedy.

If Twilight the musical is half as good, I'll go see it!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/23/12 at 6:12pm

Since the function of music in a musical is to heighten moments with song, dance and staging, the musical as a parody vehicle makes even more sense than any other genre...

Until everyone and their boyfriend has to copy the same idea. It's like the Sh*t ______ Say to ______ videos on Youtube. It was funny when it was new. Now, it's just saturated to the point of being annoying, unoriginal and pedestrian. Or imitating the Single Ladies music video. Or when you live in Chicago, it doesn't take long before you never want to see improv comedy again.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Moneyspider
#10Twilight the musical
Posted: 1/23/12 at 9:11pm

If it mocks the ideology of Twilight, I'm all for it. "the Mormon boy is your best bet, use feminism to insist on carrying the baby no matter what. Marry right outta high school, not like me haha, the Pope just wants you to be a nun or breakfast, if you are a lesbian marry a guy just cuz and you'll be soulmates and yeah you won't really mind he's scoping out everything female."

Videos