pixeltracker

What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?- Page 2

What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#25What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:19pm

I don't think Peters is going to get nominated. The performance was always divisive and a lot of people seem to think (including a couple of Tony voters I know) that by the end of the run, her performance was out of control.

Updated On: 2/7/12 at 01:19 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:20pm

Does anyone think Nice Work is going to be any good?

Not being snarky, just wondering what the advance word on it is.

....but the world goes 'round

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#27What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:25pm

I don't think Peters is going to get nominated. The performance was always divisive and a lot of people seem to think (including a couple of Tony voters I know) that by the end of the run, her performance was out of control.

THANK YOU!!! I've been saying that for MONTHS and everyone keeps saying I'm crazy. The show will be long closed, she didn't get the glowing unanimous reviews that Jan got, and she's in the less showy of the two parts. In a year with fewer options, she might get the nod. But as things are, there are too many people to fill those slots.

Musicaldudepeter
#28What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:28pm

I really think Patina deserved the Tony in 2011 over Sutton. I think Patina's role was the showiest and her performance really deserved the award.. Sutton will have many Tonys to come. Likewise, I think this year Kelli, Audra, Bernadette and Jan will all be nominated, but Elena will take the award. The Ghost lady will not be nominated. It's a year of well known nominees I'm afraid! What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?

random person 112
#29What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:38pm

Yes, but peters could well get a nomination just for being Bernadette Peters. Frankly in that production i think you'd be hard pressed to put phyllis up aganist sally for lead, when they worked it so there was hardly a moment that Bernie wasn't the center of attention.

Musicaldudepeter
#30What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:40pm

of course she will. This is like the Wicked Kristin/Idina Tony debate... both were nominated. Kristin already had her Tony, so Idina won. Bernie has 2, Jan is long overdue her prize, so if either of them were to win, Jan would. Both will definitely be nominated in my opinion..
And yes Peters will be nominated just because its Bernadette Peters, just like Patti was given a nod last year for Women on the Verge.

Michael Bennett
#31What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:44pm

Last year was a much weaker year. I wouldn't use that as a comparison. Peters wasn't nominated for INTO THE WOODS and that was a hit. I still say she sits out compared to the other women in that category. Divisive performance in a show already long closed opposite much better reviewed performances in currently running shows. Sorry, I think NICE WORK is going to have to bomb for O'Hara to not take that last slot. I definitely think Milloti will get nominated.

Updated On: 2/7/12 at 01:44 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:47pm

I hope they give it to Antoinette Perry. I don't think she ever received a Tony.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#33What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:50pm

I wasn't crazy about Bernadette's Sally, far from it, but I'm with Joe, old-fashioned in my belief that it would be better to wait and see how the performances we haven't yet seen, including Roger's, fare (sure, some of us may have seen Roger in London, but that was then, this is now - and one need not look any further to the fact that by most accounts, including notably Brantley's, Peters improved greatly from D.C. to N.Y., to know that performances vary in quality as shows travel), before we begin the prognostications as to whom, including Ms. Peters, will and won't be nominated, let alone as to whom will win the Tony.

As for the dramatic leads, AC, do you think Tyne has a chance for a nomination?

Musicaldudepeter
#34What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:53pm

the Best Actress in a Play category is going to be mighty too - Tyne Daly and End of the Rainbow's Tracie Bennett both have shots at being nominated, and Bennett has a sure fire shot at winning her first Tony too..

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#35What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:56pm

I completely forgot about Daly! Yes, I do think she has an excellent chance at a nomination.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Michael Bennett
#36What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:00pm

I just looked at the clips of Bennett and she looks a little over the top in the UK press materials. Perhaps its not a good representation of her actual performance, but I could see American critics being less kind. We'll see...

I think the nominees will likely be Nixon, Arianda, Channing for sure with Daly, Bennett, Parker and Harris probably duking it out for the other spots.

I imagine Emond will be supporting actress for DEATH OF A SALESMAN.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#37What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:05pm

Let's hope they petition to move her to the featured category. She's above the title, so she's automatically considered leading.

Emond is an amazing actress and she'll probably get rave reviews for her performance in SALESMAN. She could easily be the game-changer in the featured actress race (since it seems like most people have assumed from day one it would go to Light).

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Michael Bennett
#38What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:10pm

I think all those Clybourne Park women are featured as well.

Aside from Emond, you also have the women from THE BEST MAN, Lily Rabe, possibly Daphne Rubin Vega, Meg Tilly etc...

That's going to be a crowded catagory as well.

henrikegerman
#39What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:12pm

While I hope very much that SALESMAN is a triumph across the board, I get the distinct feeling that Emond is going to come away with the lion's share of the praise.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#40What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:13pm

I'm sure the entire cast of CLYBOURNE PARK will be considered featured--it's a true ensemble piece. I'd love to see Christina Kirk, Frank Wood, and Crystal Dickinson nominated (and Wood win in the Featured Actor category).

Lansbury will be nominated because she's Lansbury--that goes without saying. Light and probably Emond (if she's featured) are likely sure things as well.

(And it's the other Tilly who'll be in DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER) What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?

Michael Bennett
#41What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:14pm

I'm going to continue my shocking predictions by saying I bet Lansbury will sit on the bench with Peters. That role in THE BEST MAN is pretty tiny. Yes, she's a legend, but I think the Tony nominating committee is less impressed with legends than the people who post on this board.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#42What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:24pm

If Lansbury got nominated for DEUCE, I'd say she can get nominated for anything. But maybe you'll be right, MB. There are certainly better roles this season that Mrs. Gamage.

Michael Bennett
#43What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:34pm

DEUCE was also Lansbury's return to Broadway after a decades long absence. She's no less a legend now, of course, but that she is continually working and has been on Broadway several times over the last few years makes the novelty of a token nomination for her legend status a little less warranted.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#44What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:39pm

I too think Bernadette will not get a nod. Danny and Jan were too damn good in surprising ways that steered people away from BP. People left the theatre talking about Danny and Jan, Actually I think Danny got the most buzz.

I think it's Audra's year. I think people are really divided on Elena as well. Some people love her and some people hate her performance. I think she has a nom in the bag, but not a Tony.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

henrikegerman
#45What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:44pm

Having said - quite inconsistently that this is all premature - I have to agree completely with Bettyboy. DB gave a splending performance in Follies and I would love to see him win the tony. And who wouldn't want to see AM finally win in a leading category for Porgy and Bess?

Musicaldudepeter
#46What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:49pm

Yes I think similar to last year, the fact that Sutton won for her classic Reno Sweeney, Audra will win her first leading Tony for Bess... DB will probably win Featured Actor, Elaine Paige will also be nominated for featured for Follies

Michael Bennett
#47What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:52pm

I imagine that Roger's performance will probably have grown a lot since London five years ago (and it was already a great performance then) but the revival itself isn't great and I don't think is going to get great reviews. So while EVITA is a tour de force role, Roger may not have the benefit of critical groundswell for her production.

You do have to wonder if the fact that MacDonald already has 4 Tony Awards won't keep her from winning again for PORGY AND BESS. I mean I would think it would, but obviously multiple wins hasn't hurt her before!

random person 112
#48What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 3:06pm

Thank you for bringing that up again micheal. :). But Micheal LuPone didn't exactly have critical darling posted above her head either.

Updated On: 2/7/12 at 03:06 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#49What way will the 2012 Best Actress Tony go?
Posted: 2/7/12 at 3:19pm

I just want Danny to win. That would make me so happy.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello