pixeltracker

What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?- Page 2

What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?
Posted: 2/21/12 at 3:51am

I am listening to the OBCR for the first time in a while. Normally I don't listen to this recording often because I'm not a fan of having Frank sing NOT A DAY GOES BY - and I miss Gussie's presence.

I am noticing that the orchestrations have this really full and bombastic quality. I have not heard this sound on the other recordings or live at City Center. The Leicester recording comes the closest to having this bombastic quality. I am loving this sound, but I do prefer the final/licensed version of the score.

Updated On: 2/21/12 at 03:51 AM

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#26What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?
Posted: 2/21/12 at 4:52am

The orchestra just sounds awful on the Off-Broadway recording, the trumpet player in particular seems to have many near-death experiences.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#27What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 5:38pm

Bumping this because I want to listen to this album for the first time properly. I have access to - OBCR, 2012 NY Cast Recording (with Colin Donnell, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Lin MM, Jessica Vosk), and another which just says "New Cast Recording" (I think this is the 1994 Off Bway Cast but not sure).

Which one's your favorite /recommendation? 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#28What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 6:17pm

I like the original cast album and the 2012 cast equally.  I like the additions made to the score on the 2012 cast and the sound quality is crisper, while I like the brassiness and energy of the OBC.  You kind of have to listen to both to appreciate the best of both Merrilys.

bk
#29What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 6:59pm

Never saw this thread so let me chime in - yes, sixteen players all of whom can be heard perfectly.  Mr. Tunick was the orchestrator, just as he had been for the original.  We could have done it as it was done at the York, with a trio, but that didn't interest me.  As to the studio sound or whatever that means - I listen to all these new cast albums that sound like they were recorded in a closet and I say, "Really?"  There's nothing "tight" or clinical about any of the Varese cast albums - in fact, my goal always was to replicate the sound of the Columbia cast albums produced by Mr. Lieberson.  Anyone who thinks, for example, The King and I sounds "tight" or studio bound is in serious need of new hearing apparatus :)  Or speakers.  I mean, go listen to Bounce sometime if you want to hear a twenty-something piece orchestra recorded completely dry, tight, and studio bound sounding like eight pieces.  The new Follies, too.  Report back, please.  Listen to my remix of Follies and the new Follies and tell me about small sound, dead space, etc.  

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#30What MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG recording do you all suggest?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 11:19pm

The OBC definitely. Just the sweet simplicity with which Our Time is sung breaks my heart every time I hear it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfN9AIqeYxU