Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery

broadwyrm918
#1Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 5:21pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could comment how the SRO line and lottery has been going lately for Book of Mormon? Like how early are people arriving to ensure (or hopefully ensure) a standing ticket (preferably on a weekday)? Also, how many people are typically showing up at the lottery?

I did a past search for related threads, and there hasn't been much discussion on this since the December holidays. I am driving in from the Midwest later this week and would appreciate any information people may have :)

Thanks!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 5:22pm

I would get there around 8:30 for a matinee and 12:30 for an evening.

Lotto has been a bit smaller than usual, probably due to the cold. I'm bad at counting crowds, but they're not spilling as far into the streets anymore, that's for sure.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#2Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 6:05pm

I would strongly advise against SRO, especially in this weather. My friend and I did it in August and even then it really wasn't worth it. Sitting on the ground for seven hours only to stand for the entire show really wasn't my cup of tea (Granted, I had no real interest in the show in the first place.)

I know you. I know you. I know you.

LizzieCurry
#3Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 6:50pm

IMO it's totally worth it; I've done it 3 times. Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery    (Twice in below 30-degree weather.) It certainly helps if you have someone to switch off with.

But it's up to you how badly you want to see the show and how valuable your time is versus your money -- it's pretty much the only way you can guarantee seeing it until the fall, unless you want to pay in the triple digits. $27 is a total bargain regardless.

Updated On: 2/13/12 at 06:50 PM

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#4Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 9:23pm

Do they have standing room tickets for every performance though?

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#5Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 9:27pm

As long as they're sold out there is SRO. So for the foreseeable future, yes, there is SRO at every performance!

jds2001
#6Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 11:18pm

I have done SRO a number of times, and here's a teeny tiny secret: bring a folding chair (like one of those lawn chairs like http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Time-Portable-Reclining-Chair/dp/B00363EKUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1329192945&sr=1-1 ). This will make your wait in line quite comfortable :). They've only given me problems taking it in the theater once, and all they did was make me check it with the coat check (not like I'm going to use it during the performance anyway, so good riddance!).

LizzieCurry
#7Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/13/12 at 11:40pm

And if you don't have one of those, then a phone book/dictionary/Les Misérables will do. I don't recommend bringing a plastic storage tub because those aren't made for sitting; I found out the hard way.

ykurland
#8Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/16/12 at 3:22pm

If I wait in the SRO line, will I still be allowed to enter the lottery?

LizzieCurry
#9Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/16/12 at 3:29pm

Yes. You just can't do lotto if you're in the cancellation line.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#10Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/16/12 at 4:13pm

it's so worth it! I went over the summer and ened up waiting 11 hours. We were about 2 people away from getting into the matinee. But a group in front of us who brought chairs let us use them while they saw the show. it worked out nicely!

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

ykurland
#11Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/18/12 at 5:14pm

Can I buy 2 SRO tickets or only 1?

If it is only 1, am I allowed to hold a space for my brother who would show up around 5p?

LizzieCurry
#12Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/18/12 at 5:23pm

You can get two per person, so yes, you can get one for your brother who doesn't even need to show up at all. If he does intend to join you in line, be sure to tell the person behind you that you're getting two, so they won't think your brother is going to show up later and unfairly buy one or two more.

center
#13Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/18/12 at 5:33pm

Just to add to the pool of knowledge on this, I got there with my line buddy around 1:15 Friday, and we were the second and third people in line. The first person got there at 1, and the last people to get tickets got there before 4:30. It was a nice day (for February) and the beginning of the holiday weekend, so I was pretty shocked at how few people were there earlier.

Elphaba3
#14Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/29/12 at 2:30pm

How has the line been recently? I'm coming this weekend and was wondering when I should get there/how long I should wait. Thanks!

BruceWayne5148
#15Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/29/12 at 2:35pm

It's totally worth it to wait for SRO. Got there around 4:00 2 weeks ago and was about number 14 in line.

Elphaba3
#16Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/29/12 at 2:50pm

Thanks! And when you say 4 you mean 4PM like before a 7PM show or 8PM show?

LizzieCurry
#17Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/29/12 at 3:22pm

When I passed by around 11 a.m. before doing lotto for this past Sunday's matinee, the standing room line was just two people past the stage door. I didn't ask but it was probably just full at that point.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/29/12 at 4:34pm

do people still line-up early even in bad weather(like today)?? Thinking of trying again tomorrow but the forecast says rain and I don't feel like standing in line for more than 2 hours in the rain.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#19Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 2/29/12 at 4:35pm

ACL-They do. If you get there early enough you'll be under the shelter of the theater doorway.

ClimbGuy
#20Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:09pm

what time do you recommend waiting in line for SRO, on a weekday? I know it can change at any time. How many SRO tickets are there? How much do they cost? Can one person wait in line for two tickets?

Also, what about the ticket lottery, how many seats are available for it?

thanks!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#21Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 3/21/12 at 2:21pm

You can indeed have one person stand in line for two tickets-it's two per person, they are $27 I believe. (They were when I did it.) You should get there early. It's 28 tix-so the first 14 people are guaranteed spots. I think it's 20 lotto tickets at $30 each (again, it's been a long time since I tried). Good luck-bring a book and something to sit on!

LizzieCurry
#22Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 3/21/12 at 4:54pm

Right. Standing room is $27.

Lotto is $32.

There are not always 28 spots in standing room, depending on if they're having understudies or new cast members watch the show.

ClimbGuy
#23Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 3/21/12 at 4:57pm

typically do they have all 28 or close to it open to the public?

Also is there a place to sit in line or should I bring a folding chair? Is there a problem with leaving the line for a few minutes to use the bathroom, get food, ect?

Also, does anyone know how many entries there usually are for the lotto?

Updated On: 3/21/12 at 04:57 PM

LizzieCurry
#24Book of Mormon SRO and Lottery
Posted: 3/21/12 at 5:20pm

I've rarely seen fewer than 22 or 23 standing room spots open.

Bring a chair. Make friends and tell the people in front or behind you that you'd like to take a break and go to the bathroom or whatever and you'll do the same for them.

There are usually 200 - 400 entries for lotto -- no exaggeration.