pixeltracker

SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)

SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)

bbango
#1SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)
Posted: 3/8/12 at 12:07pm

Play along! Good insider stuff from a popular broadway blogger. http://www.sharonwheatley.com/2012/03/08/smash-fact-or-fiction-lets-be-bad/
Smash Fact or Fiction?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)
Posted: 3/8/12 at 12:15pm

Thanks for posting this. I went to the one for the 1st episode and it talked about the places where they lived. I was asking myself the same question about how nice their places were.

Just give the world Love.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)
Posted: 3/8/12 at 3:29pm

To be fair, I have heard of situations where the composer has acted as arranger or even helped teach the score to the cast. I don't think it's outright fiction as the author says--at any rate it's one of the inacuracies in Smash that I think is less of an issue (not that I think anyone should look for much reality in the show anyway--it's kinda amusing how, of all the things to pick on the show about, so many theatre people seem up in arms about how it portrays their jobs. I suppose it's so rare to get a show about their world, they aren't used to dealing with the way millions of other professions suspend disbelief when seeing shows about their profession). Still, it's an interesting read.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#3SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)
Posted: 3/8/12 at 3:52pm

Agreed Eric, it would be just about impossible for a doctor, lawyer, detective, etc. to list every inconsistency or inaccuracy a show like House or Law and Order has about their profession. It doesn't purport to be a documentary and it isn't. It's perfectly fair to have other issues with the show, but I think it's pretty irrelevant to state that one reason you don't like it is that it's not an accurate portrayal. Interesting article nonetheless, thanks!

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#4SMASH Fact or fiction (this is fun)
Posted: 3/8/12 at 7:45pm

That;'s exactly it. Fault the acting, the direction, the writing (I certainly have), but I have no sympathy for the literally dozen of blog posts (some on major sites) where people boo hoo about now non theatre people will think THIS is what they do in their line of work, bla bla. Who cares? I mean really, if we're going to go on that way, Smash in many ways IS more accurate than the majority of backstage movies/tv shows/musicals that we HAVE had before, from 42nd Street to Center Stage.

Videos