pixeltracker

How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?- Page 3

How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?

Dollypop
#50How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/8/12 at 1:41pm

I've never really bought any show merchandise. I didn't ever feel the urge. However, I DO cherish items from the shows that cast members have gifted me with. I've actually had some of them framed and they're hanging in my office.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 7/8/12 at 01:41 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#51How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/8/12 at 2:57pm

I rarely buy merchandise. I own one shirt from a regional production of Chess that says "Nobody's Side" because I thought it was cool and more versatile than a cheesy touristy tshirt advertising a show. I keep my playbills with my ticket from the show stored in boxes chronologically.

I do have a few free souvenirs from certain shows- like confetti or handkerchiefs or flowers that were thrown into the audience during the performance. I didn't go seeking it out, I just caught what came to me. Kind of weird, but more memorable to me than a generic tchotchke from the merchandise counter.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 7/8/12 at 02:57 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#52How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/8/12 at 3:05pm

"People (especially the young'uns) are more interested in DOCUMENTING their lives rather than living them. If they don't/can't post/fb/tweet/YouTube it, it didn't happen.

I'm with you, I like my actualy memories. (I must be showing my age!)"

I'm a young'un but I agree 100% and I hate it. I have friends who must have a camera with them at all times and it drives me nuts. Then they upload all those photos and never look at them again anyway.

DefyGravity777
#53How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/8/12 at 5:33pm

I used to get a t-shirt and program at every show I saw. Now I'm always broke so if I get a beverage in one of those plastic cups that is my souvenir along with the Playbill.

As other people said I go to the flea market and get good deals there if I really want something and they have it.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#54How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/8/12 at 10:24pm

If there's a souvenir program, I get it. Always. I've been "collecting" them since I was small and it's just natural now. That is, if I have the money.

I was compelled to buy the FOLLIES pillow from the last revival. Don't ask why.

zerose
#55How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/9/12 at 4:19pm

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do when your refrigerator surface is full?

a) stop seeing shows
b) get a 2nd refrigerator
c) use a metal file cabinet, also handy for storing your Playbills!

BwayEqs Profile Photo
BwayEqs
#56How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/9/12 at 4:21pm

I buy merchandise only when I LOVE the show. Like when I LOVED Wicked, I bought a T-Shirt and the Chistery Doll. I would've bought the CD, but I already had it. The soundtrack is what made me buy tickets to the show.

They all call me a troll. Ok, call me a troll. If I stand on my own, so be it.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#57How important is merchandise to your theatre experience?
Posted: 7/9/12 at 9:40pm

a) stop seeing shows
b) get a 2nd refrigerator
c) use a metal file cabinet, also handy for storing your Playbills!

I'm afraid none of these is practical for me. :) I think I'm going to just display the current seasons's magnets and a selection of others in rotation.

Videos