pixeltracker

Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?

Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#1Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?
Posted: 7/23/12 at 12:39pm

I have some family friends who just saw The Exorcist at Geffen Playhouse, and told me it was basically a boring play about religion with a Magic Show at the end. Can anyone confirm/ agree or disagree with this?

Is the whole play just a filler to have a spooky magic show at the end?

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

ALittlePriest Profile Photo
ALittlePriest
#2Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?
Posted: 7/23/12 at 5:31pm

pretty much.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?
Posted: 7/23/12 at 6:49pm

If that is the case, it's much closer to the acclaimed novel than to the film. Whether that's for better or for worse depends on one's perspective on theatre, philosophy, and the crossover between religion and the explicitly paranormal/supernatural.

While I have mixed feelings across the board, I'm disappointed that Teller's special effects work for the stage is somewhat limited in this go-round, as I'm a big fan.

Owen22
#3Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?
Posted: 7/23/12 at 11:05pm

a Magic Show at the end?

Reagan is levitated. And they do a pretty nice job of it. That is the only special effect, really, in the play...

Of all the deserved or undeserved criticisms thrown at this show, "a Magic Show at the end" really is incorrect...

I also think the performance of David Wilson Barnes as Karras makes up for a lot of bad direction and mediocre writing...

Updated On: 7/23/12 at 11:05 PM

jimmycurry01
#4Exorcist: Boring religion play with Magic Show at end?
Posted: 7/24/12 at 6:25am

Darquegk, have you ever read the novel? The film is almost a scene by scene recreation of the novel. The film strays very little from its source material. In fact, after Rosemary's Baby, it may be the second most faithful book to screen adaptation I have ever seen.

Videos