THE New Normal

#500THE New Normal
Posted: 11/28/12 at 3:07pm

Well maybe replace "gay people" with "human beings" as the straight characters make no sense either.

Updated On: 11/28/12 at 03:07 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#501THE New Normal
Posted: 11/28/12 at 4:07pm

I don't even know who watches this show for enjoyment. It seems to exist only for bloggers to talk down to the rest of us. I think virtually everyone who started out giving the show a chance on this thread has turned on it, and I don't know a single person who watches it anymore.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#502THE New Normal
Posted: 11/28/12 at 10:50pm

Namo, while that quote is not one I'd agree with, she pretty clearly says that New Normal isn't one of his shows she finds radical or worthy of respect--I thought you meant a direct comment about New Normal.

EricMontreal22
#503THE New Normal
Posted: 12/5/12 at 4:53am

Awww, it was the "see Nanna's not all that bad!" episode.

...I think I'm the only one left here even hate-watching this show. Oh well--it's off for six weeks.

myprettycabinet Profile Photo
myprettycabinet
#504THE New Normal
Posted: 12/8/12 at 3:33pm

Dunno if I count, but I'm still watching. Catching up today - I was too busy seeing THE BOOK OF MORMON to care about Andrew Rannells. lol.

I'm just starting the most recent episode, but the Cher/baby-gender episode was not THAT bad. I actually laughed a few times, despite having to shove down indignation at David's gender-bias several times.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#505THE New Normal
Posted: 12/8/12 at 3:56pm

'Not all THAT bad'

If that's the best anyone can say about the show, it's a wonder why anyone is wasting thier time watching it.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

EricMontreal22
#506THE New Normal
Posted: 12/8/12 at 4:06pm

TheatreDiva it's called hate-watching (but you make a good point, and even that term speaks to how lame it is to watch a show you dislike.)

But Cabinet, you do count :P I'd be interested to hear what you think of the last episode.

TheatreDiva90016
#507THE New Normal
Posted: 12/8/12 at 8:00pm

I know the term 'hate watching', and I know what it means. It only applies to the first couple of weeks, when you hope it gets better.

Now, you are just beating your head against a wall.

But that would explain most of your posts.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#508THE New Normal
Posted: 12/8/12 at 9:11pm

I like to hate watch entire seasons sometimes. I gave up American Horror Story, so this is my only hate watch left.

EricMontreal22
#509THE New Normal
Posted: 12/8/12 at 10:09pm

"But that would explain most of your posts."

Never miss a chance do you :) Ouch.

I think hate-watching is a fine occupation :P I could watch the news when doing notes for class the next day, instead I watch a bad sitcom. Meh. (and yes, pay too much attention to it posting here, but forums are for wasting one's time.)

TheatreDiva90016
#510THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 1:42pm

"but forums are for wasting one's time."

Oh, I thought it was to have intelligent conversations with like minded people...

Again, that statement answers so many questions.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#511THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 3:59pm

Jeeze, Diva, leave Eric alone, will ya?

I'm "hate-watching" THE NEW NORMAL, too. I'm glad I now have a term for the activity.

As for "why", it's because there was nothing else on at that time and the subject matter is fairly new for broadcast TV and I was mildly curious as to what they would do with it (answer: not much).

Whether I watch again in six weeks remains to be seen.

FindingNamo
#512THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 4:30pm

I thought we were still using "not digging the ungroovy scene."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TheatreDiva90016
#513THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 6:10pm

"Jeeze, Diva, leave Eric alone, will ya? "

Why? He makes such an easy target.

The term 'hate watching' was brought up in the first few pages of this thread. But maybe I'm the only one who has read the whole thing.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#514THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 8:17pm

Why? He makes such an easy target.

That doesn't sound like the gracious and talented man I met and introduced to my friends and family. Diva, you and Eric share amazing commands of musical theater history. In my book, that ought to be a basis for friendship, not animosity.

Okay. Not really my business, I know. But I'm a child of a broken home and we tend to want everyone we like to like one another. It's probably part of trying to get mommy and daddy back together again.

Also, this is not my first message board experience, but I have never seen one where grudges are kept for so long. (Is the stereotype true? Are we gay men really like bitter old women?) And the weirdest part is the posters who no longer speak to me are among my favorites.

I can't even remember what I did to FindingNamo. I offended Best12Bars accidentally by making a joke that didn't play without facial expressions and tone of voice.

I've apologized profusely in both cases to no avail. I really don't get it.

But back on topic, THE NEW NORMAL would solve this problem by pouring Nana a glass of C****nay.

(ETA whaddaya know? Apparently the banned words hard_-_on appear in the type of wine I was trying to reference in the preceding paragraph.)

Updated On: 12/9/12 at 08:17 PM

EricMontreal22
#515THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 8:43pm

Wow, I find it beyond amusing that h ard-on is even a banned word on here...

FindingNamo
#516THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 9:57pm

Oh for the love of Pete.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#517THE New Normal
Posted: 12/9/12 at 10:34pm

^^^^^Dude, you've been pissed at me and taking swipes for more than a year now. I can take the hits (you aren't all that nasty), but I have never stayed mad that long at people I actually know, much less someone who is just a hat on an internet forum to me.

FindingNamo
#518THE New Normal
Posted: 12/10/12 at 12:17am

I simply do not want to interact with you. I don't want to take part in discussions you're a part of, I don't want to read what you have to say, I don't care what you think you have to add to threads I start. I think one of the things about being an adult is you can just decide you don't want anything to do with somebody and there's nobody with the power to tell you you MUST interact with them. And yet, by invoking me you clearly want my attention. But I wasn't even responding to that. I was responding to the fact that adults who scold other adults about things they aren't involved in come across like self-appointed schoolmarms and I don't like people like that.

< a hat on the internet

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#519THE New Normal
Posted: 12/10/12 at 6:20pm

Well, Namo, one might think that part of being an adult would be acting like one, particularly in a small community such as this. After all, I didn't propose that you and I take a house together in Provence.

Obviously, nobody can force you to be civil. I have no objection to a purposeful snark now and then, but it baffles me when a petty grudge is carried ad infinitum. And that's okay: I don't have to understand everything.

Yours,
The Local Schoolmarm

Updated On: 12/11/12 at 06:20 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#520THE New Normal
Posted: 1/9/13 at 9:06am

I was kind of hoping that NBC would just forget to bring this back after the holiday hiatus. I also told myself I was going to stop hate-watching it, but I do love Matt Bomer, so I had to subject myself to the latest episode, and Christ, was it a doozy.

First of all, remember how in the pilot Bryan just decided he wanted to have a baby? And then in this episode there's a flashback that he wanted to have 3 kids when he was with Matt Bomer!

I wanted to think that Justin Bartha's character must not really know many other gay men if he thought for a hot second that Matt Bomer's character would be interested in Michael Hitchcock, but then they went ahead and gobsmacked me with that nonsensical resolution to that storyline. I know this is nothing more than a cartoon, but even cartoons should have their own internal logic, right?

I was surprised and unsurprised that they actually used the word "sassy" to describe the sassy black stereotype of Nene Lekes.

THE New Normal

Speaking of Matt Bomer, I wonder if he just does these roles because he really wants that role in The Normal Heart or if Ryan Murphy has something on him. Between this and that Glee episode where he sang "Somebody that I Used to Know" to his brother, I figured Murphy must have some kind of vendetta against him or something.

Updated On: 1/9/13 at 09:06 AM

#521THE New Normal
Posted: 1/9/13 at 10:20am

I would love to see Ryan Murphy's collection of blackmail photos.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#522THE New Normal
Posted: 1/9/13 at 10:27am

You just know Ryan Murphy has some gross and upsetting fetishes.

#523THE New Normal
Posted: 1/9/13 at 10:30am

He does have lovely taste in men. Except for that Rannells guy.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#524THE New Normal
Posted: 1/9/13 at 12:27pm

Basically if Ryan wants to bang you, you're cast. It helps if you're a gay. If you're straight, he will make you get naked so he can see your bits.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello