#25Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 12/23/12 at 8:24am

"Any dream Peters?"

Bernadette?

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#26Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 12/23/12 at 8:35am

Does his replacement stage door? Will he sign my copy of Post Sceret?!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 12/23/12 at 1:46pm

I don't think it makes it a good performance if you're aware of him being behind or ahead of the music. That means you were taken out of the show and noticing the mechanics of the performance. That's not a good thing. Nor do I think it's a compliment to say "his singing didn't matter" - in terms of what? Meaning you loved the show so it doesn't matter if he can sing or not? My question is why was he chosen? Are there not super skinny awkward kids who can actually sing that could play the role? He wasn't really part of any of the workshops, so why not take some of those kids?

LayerBoy4
#28Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 12/23/12 at 2:14pm

I caught the show last Friday expecting the worst on all accounts and actually thoroughly enjoyed myself. Taylor was in great voice, only wavering in pitch a little in the first moments after "Are You There" when he was, quite understandably, a little tired. Never was truly off key though, and recovered quickly. I have a feeling Taylor (and the rest of the cast) was probably pretty tired during preview performances when they were still rehearsing during the day. The lyric and script changes were pretty rapid, so I'm sure those day rehearsals weren't easy.

That all being said, Friday after opening Taylor was in great voice, and I really enjoyed his performance as an actor. I think he's charming, and his vocal performance aligns well with his performance as an actor. I also think he makes the re-written role of 'Peter' particularly likeable, in spite of the script stacking the odds against him. Peter and Jason's relationship is much newer in this script, so Peter's angst and attempts to get Jason to commit can easily come across as SUPER clingy and super immature. Compile that with the new staging at the end *spoiler alert* during "Bare" when Peter doesn't really take Jason back at the end, and it really makes it harder to feel for Peter. That being said, I ended up caring so much about Taylor for being so open-hearted that I ended up forgiving those parts of the script.

But yes, I have a feeling Taylor is performing better now that he is well rested. That being said, I also have a feeling "Bare" won't be open through the point at which "Peter" would have to be replaced. We'll see!

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#30Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 1/4/13 at 5:02pm

Though Alex Wyse is potentially the full time replacement, that article was only stating that he (as the understudy) is stepping in for the matinee today and tomorrow while Taylor is in rehearsal for Matilda, not that he was going to be replacing him.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#31Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 1/5/13 at 7:09pm

Caught the show this afternoon and saw Alex Wyse on for Taylor. Boy is Alex talented. He was one of the few shining spots in this utter mess of a production. He definitely rose above the terribly revised material. He and the girl who payed Nadia deserve to be in better shows. I would say that Alex deserves to be promoted to the lead once Taylor leaves, but honestly I'd rather see him do something else completely.

mschwager Profile Photo
mschwager
#32Taylor Trensch Leaving Bare for Matilda
Posted: 1/6/13 at 12:17pm

I also saw Alex as Peter yesterday and thought he was amazing. Also, I think this new production is awesome. Obviously it has problems, but I had problems with the original too. Overall, I think this is a better, clearer show.

Latest Posts