pixeltracker

Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?

Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?

TheHappyPhantom
#1Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 3:05pm

I was just wondering, I'm a designer and have a friend who works in production. We're moving to NY and wanna start networking and getting theatre gigs lined up. Is there a site that lists jobs and things like that, or a good place to start? Is it possible to actually make a living doing this in NY, if you're not on Bway? Any advice would be nice.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 3:07pm

Not sure how current they are, but there are job listings right here on BWW. They're on the left side, just below the message boards.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#2Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 3:13pm

Playbill jobs can be good too. Though I have to say most gigs I've gotten have just been through someone I know from a different job recommending me for something. So once you get that first gig, always be nice to everyone you work with, because it really is a relationship business.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

lightguy06222
#3Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 4:57pm

backstagejobs.com
playbill.com
craigslist.

what kind of designer/what kind of work in production?

Try to find work catching calls as a carpenter or electrician... Frost Lighting and Production, Bentley Meeker Lighting and Production, Tribeca Lighting, etc.

TheHappyPhantom
#4Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 9:56pm

lighting designer and a stage manager.

Musicaldudepeter
#5Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 10:07pm

Updated On: 1/2/13 at 10:07 PM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#6Moving to NY. Where to start looking for theatre work?
Posted: 1/2/13 at 10:26pm

The NYFA website can also be pretty helpful, though they tend to be more administrative-type jobs:

http://www.nyfa.org/opportunities.asp?type=Job&id=94&fid=1&sid=54

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

TheHappyPhantom