pixeltracker

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching "Glee"- Page 5

10 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching "Glee"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:30am

NM.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 3/10/13 at 09:30 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 10:10am

all that jazz- Question. So you think it is believable that Rachel "flubs" her audition but then gets in anyway.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#10210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 10:41am

Well it's not very believable but at least it gave me hope. We Gleeks admire her so much, and I thought that if she couldn't get into NYADA no one could. That's why we needed her to get in.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 10:53am

all that jazz - If it helped you then I am glad for you but IMO giving young people a false impression is not a good thing.

SporkGoddess
#10410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:01am

I am convinced that Glee actually does not like musical theatre. I think that Smash is a terrible show, but at least it demonstrates some love of Broadway. Yes, Glee will sometimes include showtunes, but the writers usually demonstrate very little knowledge of the show that the number is from.

And yeah, I really think that Glee becoming The Blaine Show has really contributed to its downslide. That and the completely uninteresting new kids. I saw a post on TWOP that said that we have no investment in Marley's love triangle because Ryder and Jake are pretty much the same guy.

I'm also getting sick of Glee's joking about its bad writing. Referencing the fact that Glee high schoolers should be deciding on colleges during junior year doesn't fix it, writers.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 3/10/13 at 11:01 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:11am

You "admire" Rachel Berry? Are high schoolers really so starved for role models?

It's interesting to see the drastic difference in opinion in re: Glee even just between teenagers and my age group (early 20s). I can name no one I personally know who thinks positively of the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611
#10610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:15am

I will never understand admiration of fictional characters.

VERY few of my drama club kids have continued to watch this past the 2nd season. My non-drama kids? Never did.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SporkGoddess
#10710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:18am

I'm in my mid-20s and I know a lot of people my age (or a little younger, like early 20s) who watch it. But they all admit that it's ridiculous.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:20am

But they're don't admire Rachel Berry or "need" her to do whatever to achieve some sort of emotional catharsis, right?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

all that jazz
#10910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:20am

Yankeefan, I understand and respect your argument, for we have to realize this show is a major inspiration for young performers, I'm not saying they should give them false hope, but they need to encourage them to persue their dreams. Artists in today's society are largely neglected, and having a show like Glee celebrating us, is really quite meaningful. It's absolutely true that not everyone gets where they want to be, that's why they didn't get in the first place because that would've given false impressions.

Spork. Are you watching the current season of Glee? If you were you would see that they certainly pay a lot of attention to Broadway in the NYC storyline. Glee is known to replicate memorable moments in musical theatre history, mainly filmed musicals because that's what most of the audience would have access to. Although there are still some strictly broadway replicated numebers like The Boy from Oz. It also sometimes gives new twists to Broadway Classics like Rose's Turn and As if we never said goodbye. Smash is my second favorite show on television.

Kad, were not exactly starved for role models for there sure aren't a lot of great ones available, or would you rather young performers idolize Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry.
I'm not saying she inspires EVRYONE who watches the show, maybe only the hardcore Gleeks like myself. Updated On: 3/10/13 at 11:20 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:27am

They're not celebrating artists. They are, quite cannily, exploiting a very exploitable niche audience.

dramamama611
#11110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:33am

B'way, tv, film, the Tonys, the Oscars, the Emmys -- those don't CELEBRATE the artist? There is no inspiration?

How does all I mentioned above NEGLECT the artist? We treat them like freakin' royalty.

I'd rather have an ACTUAL person and their ACTUAL rise to fame be role models than a manipulated fictional story. More importantly, I want their actions as a person (not an actor) to count for something. I'm tired of rewarding awful people (be they actors, athletes or politicians) by celebrating them.

all that jazz
#11210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:44am

There is no doubt that celebrities are the people with the most impact on our society. Our society celebrates artists who are on top, but look down upon those who are trying to get there.

dramamama611
#11310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:47am

How does society look down on struggling artists??

all that jazz
#11410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:01pm

Well for one in some places is not considered a serious profession. It's not "cool" for a boy to be singing and dancing or even to like broadway. Artists need to have a really thick skin in order to survive growing up, let alone the buisness. Performing is not something conventional, it never has but it specially isn't in today's casual loving, careless, unrefined and "practical" society. Maybe it varies from place to place, all I know is where I come from struggling artists are not by any means celebrated.

Updated On: 3/10/13 at 12:01 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11510 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:03pm

I do think that, although the struggling artist is romanticized in media and art (obviously), in practice a lot of people are dismissive.

dramamama611
#11610 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:08pm

Not being celebrated is not the same thing as being looked down upon. Is anyone's struggle "celebrated" before they become successful? You won't hear too much about a politician that never gets elected. Or a teacher that never inspires. Or a doctor TRYING to cure cancer.

I'll agree that many boys are not encouraged to sing/dance - but how does Rachel Barry affect that?

Nothing wonderful comes easy.

all that jazz
#11710 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:19pm

Maybe celebrated was not the right word, accepted would be better suited. I'm not just referring to Rachel Berry, I'm referring to the show as a whole. A show about a group of talented kids from a show choir in Lima Ohio plus a parallel storyline of two college students trying to make it in NYC, certainly celebrates young artists who in real life may be suffering or even bullied because of their art.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11810 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:20pm

Except that Rachel and Kurt are living in a gorgeous apartment and hang out with Sarah Jessica Parker.

all that jazz
#11910 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:25pm

SJP wasn't playing herself, she was a fashion editor and Kurt was
her assistant.

As for the apartment... It is TV after all!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12010 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:27pm

I'm aware she wasn't playing herself.

But it's not like they're living with three to four other artists in Bedstuy, catering when they aren't waiting tables or in line at Actor's Equity to possibly not a non-equity audition slot. At all. They're "struggling" in the most TV of ways.

dramamama611
#12110 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:28pm

And Kurt, just out of HS is a fashion editor's assistant.

Why, yes, it IS TV, after all.

all that jazz
#12210 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:31pm

He wasn't exactly her assistant, if I remember correctly he was an intern, which is very possible.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12310 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:34pm

It's just not very likely. Good thing for plot purposes, Kurt is lucky!

dramamama611
#12410 Reasons Why We Stopped Watching
Posted: 3/10/13 at 12:36pm

Not as a freshman. And not for a theater major freshman (or has that changed?)