pixeltracker

IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY

IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#1IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 3:34pm

I didn't really see anyone talking about here, and I thought it deserved mentioning.

Megan Hilty's debut album, It Happens All The Time, was released last week. If you haven't checked it out yet, you're missing out.

While some of the songs aren't my cup of tea, the versatility of this woman is unreal! She can truly sing anything.
Megan Hilty's "No Cure" music video

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 3:37pm

I couldn't agree more, it's incredible. It also getting more publicity than I expected. I was watching OWN last night and a well produced commercial came on numerous times promoting the album. Not to mention I have my Pandora on shuffle and she's come up on my James Morrison and Adele stations.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#2IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 8:24pm

I created the same post like last week but no one commented haha guess BWW posters aren't so passionate about Ms. Hilty. I for one LOVE her and LOVE the album. She is just so talented and I cannot wait for her to return to the stage. I saw her a couple weeks ago at Carnegie Hall and she was truly divine

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#3IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 8:44pm

I'm so bummed I missed her Carnegie Hall show.

I saw her at Hershey Park in the Fall, and she truly is a wonderful stage presence with a gorgeous voice.

She came out afterwards and couldn't believe people were there wanting to see her. She spent at least a half hour talking with people, signing things, and taking pictures. An absolutely lovely person whose personality matches her talent. Can't wait to see what she does after Smash!

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

iluvtheatertrash
#4IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 8:50pm

I hate the album. Found it boring and only good for one listen... Was so disappointed.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ucjrdude902
#5IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 10:11pm

I can't get "Be A Man" out of my head.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#6IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/18/13 at 10:24pm

She really is a sweetheart. We share a Whole Foods (my claim to fame) and I always see her chatting with people. It's so great to see NICE people have success.

Ham3
#7IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 9:00am

Unfortunately I missed the Carnegie Hall appearance. Saw her last year in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES and she was fabulous.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#8IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 10:27am

"I hate the album. Found it boring and only good for one listen... Was so disappointed."

Could you do us a big favor, Iluvtheatretrash?" Could you tell us what recent album you found much better? And I'm curious if you listened to the whole album -- are you some sort of sadist to continue listening when you found it that awful? I'd love to see what you consider "not boring".

PastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
#9IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 11:54am

For those not aware, Megan Hilty will perform two shows at Joe's Pub on April 23rd.

Megan Hilty: It Happens All the Time CD Release

iluvtheatertrash
#10IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 2:38pm

Yes. I listened to the entire album. Because I wanted to give it a chance as I respect her work. I thought the song choices were dull and a lot of things sounded the same. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I was disappointed.

I'm going to assume you're asking for what album by a Broadway performer specifically, so I'll pull from the past 5 years or so. Here goes:

1. Andrea Burns, A Deeper Shade of Red

2. Rebecca Luker, I Got Love

3. Anne Steele, Strings Attached

4. Kate Baldwin, Let's See What Happened

5. Kelli O'Hara, Always

6. Lisa Howard, Songs of Innocence and Experience

To name a few.

I get the impression that it bothers you I don't like the album. I don't know why it would. I gave it one full listen and found only "The Blower's Daughter" song I would occasionally listen to again. And I WANTED to like it.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#11IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 2:57pm

I wonder why one word in the lyrics to Dare You to Move were changed from the original

Updated On: 3/19/13 at 02:57 PM

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#12IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 3:29pm

"Yes. I listened to the entire album. Because I wanted to give it a chance as I respect her work. I thought the song choices were dull and a lot of things sounded the same. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I was disappointed."

You're definitely not the only person with those thoughts. The AllMusic review expressed similar sentiments.

"When It Happens All the Time was released, Megan Hilty was best known for her show-stopping turns in Broadway productions including Wicked and 9 to 5: The Musical, as well as her role as Ivy Lynn on NBC's musical-within-a-musical TV series Smash. However, the songs she chose for her debut album weren't show tunes or standards; they were contemporary pop with a capital P. Her desire to bring something unexpected and perhaps more personal to It Happens All the Time is admirable, but Hilty's approach to these songs is too reverent and stripped of her best work's vibrancy and nuance...

...As always, Hilty is a dynamic performer with a beautiful voice, but It Happens All the Time is often so sanitized that a livelier set of more traditional songs might have made for a better debut."

http://www.allmusic.com/album/it-happens-all-the-time-mw0002477577

This is a super low key folk/R&B tinted Adult Contemporary album in every sense. The big, bad, belty Megan from the Bombshell album was pushed far off to the side for this project. I can completely understand why someone would find it bland and boring.

ucjrdude902
#13IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 3:38pm

Her album is #18 on the itunes Pop Charts. Pretty impressive.

BroadwayBrat
#14IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 3:58pm

I will be seeing her at Symphony Hall in Boston on May 24 and I am really looking forward to seeing her. Happy to hear that she's nice!

ucjrdude902
#15IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/19/13 at 4:14pm

By the way she was on Rachel Ray today, and Wendy Williams this Thursday I believe.

iluvtheatertrash
#16IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:06am

Thank you, latitude. I got the impression Patash thought I was trying to be mean-spirited. Sorry if I made it seem that way. I respect her a lot, but thought the album was a tremendous disappointment.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#17IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:12am

I always have loved Megan. She has floored me every time I see her on stage. However I feel badly that she has been saddled with Smash and this lackluster album. It's very boring and is trying to be something Megan is not. Her dynamic presence does not read. It makes me sad. She deserved better

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#18IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/24/13 at 6:16am

I think I know what you mean, Bettyboy, but I'm not sure I entirely agree. The album reminds me of a few of the quieter contemporary pop songs she has sung on SMASH. (I'd give you titles if I knew them, but I don't know that much about pop.)

I can understand why it's dismissed by or an acquired taste for those expecting a "Broadway" sound. Personally, I'm glad I had limited music on my new phone, so I was encouraged to listen several times.

ucjrdude902
#19IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/24/13 at 9:54am

She's had some pretty adorable interviews lately and her commercial is popping up more and more.

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#20IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/24/13 at 2:02pm

I can't say I always enjoy her singing on stage, but I think this album is absolutely lovely. I have heard nuance in her voice that NEVER comes through on SMASH. Very pleasantly surprised!

Wymbish - I've listed to "Dare You to Move" a few times to try to pick up the one word. Which is it?

jonbrianblake2
#21IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/24/13 at 3:36pm

I always wonder about CDs by Broadway performers because we often have our own expectations about their voices and talent.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Megan's CD. I saw the ads everywhere on the internet and heard a radio interview she did that featured a lot of the songs from the CD. I like that she does get to use the big part of her voice for "Dare You To Move", but also the more quiet, nuanced parts throughout the set of songs.

Here's a link to the interview:
Megan Hilty interview on solo CD and future of SMASH

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#22IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME by MEGAN HILTY
Posted: 3/24/13 at 6:33pm

I have the new Hilty album on a playlist with Natalie Maines, Jennifer Nettles, Alanis Morisette and Adele. And even though Hilty is using about 10% of what she's got in terms of power, she holds her own quite well, I think.

Videos