pixeltracker

What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?

What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?

moncruzz
#1What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:59pm

I tried to do some searches, but no clear consensus came up. I know some shows won't be in previews until April, but I would like to buy tickets ASAP. I'm looking for two of the best musicals I can possibly watch in NYC. I live in San Francisco so I would also like to avoid anything that might be touring SF in the fall or spring of next year. (SHNSF's last season sucked big time except for BOM)

I know I'm interested in Matilda and possibly Peter and the Starcatcher. I have no idea what Pippin is about, but it also sounds interesting. Should I just buy tickets for Matilda and one show now or is there any show worth waiting for when the reviews pour in in April? Thanks!!

Updated On: 3/27/13 at 06:59 PM

rorschach37
#2What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:18pm

Peter and the Starcatcher is a MUST SEE. I'm not sure if Once is stopping in SF next year, but I would reccomend it as well. Haven't seen Pippin yet, but it's a good show in general. I'm really looking forward to this production.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#2What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:37pm

If you're In New York during the summer, then Shakespeare in the Park is a must! For one, the productions are almost always a delight but more importantly SITP is quintessential New York: there's nothing quite like watching a performance in Central Park, under the stars, on a warm summer night. THE COMEDY OF ERRORS will be performed while you're here directed by Daniel Sullivan and staring Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Hamish Linklater.

Tickets are free, but you have to wait in line and get to the park pretty early in the morning. However, even that can be a fun experience, especially if you get to know the people around you.

More information can be found at the link below. Have fun in NYC!
SITP 2013

moncruzz
#3What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?
Posted: 3/29/13 at 6:51pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I might just go ahead and stick to Matilda and Pippin. I am confident Jekyll and Hyde will make its way to SF during its tour run and same goes with Peter and the Starcatcher.

Play Esq, what time/day is Shakespeare in the Park? and how much of my day will be spent getting tickets, waiting in line for good seats, etc. I tried to go on the website, but no info yet till after April 15. Thanks!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4What musicals/plays to watch in Summer/June 2013?
Posted: 3/29/13 at 6:58pm

Depending on the cast, and exactly when you go will really determine how long your time investment is. However, it is likely that you will be in line from at the latest from 7 am to at least one. There is no way to determine good seats from less good seats as they are given out randomly.

To be honest, I would suspect that your short time in NY could be better spent.

You will never find a consensus on what the best 2 or 3 shows to see will be. Every show has people that love it and every show has detractors.

Right now, the three most buzzed about musicals seem to be:
Matilda
Pippin
Motown (a jukebox musical)

While I have noting bad to say about Motown, I'd reccommend the first two.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.