pixeltracker

As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?

As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?

BroadwayStar4 Profile Photo
BroadwayStar4
#1As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/3/13 at 9:02pm

I would love to have a career similar to Sierra Boggess'. She was in Les Miserables, Little Mermaid, Phantom of the Opera, etc. What a dream resume.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/3/13 at 9:14pm

Hugh Jackman! He's done it all.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#2As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/3/13 at 9:48pm

I always admire the career progression of someone like Donna Murphy: Starting in the chorus/as an understudy, then replacing a principal, then getting a big break and successful jobs, and then moving on to some TV/film while still staying active in theater.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#3As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/3/13 at 10:00pm

I'm not an actor/dancer (anymore), but as a Director and Choreographer I would love to take the same path as David Cromer and Kathleen Marshall.

I love working on new works, but I am always drawn to the 20th Century Post-Modern classics and Golden Age musicals. They are both masters in those styles (Respectively).

*edited because of Auto Correct and a little 420*

Updated On: 5/3/13 at 10:00 PM

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#4As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/3/13 at 10:34pm

A personal track I dream of emulating is the Mike Nichols/Joe Mantello-style career; possessing a fluidity between acting and directing (or, if I ever gather the nerve, the Sam Shepard/Eric Bogosian/Tracy Letts wing and dabbling in playwriting... though I'll never harness a tenth the talent any of them have). Nichols also is equally versed in stage and screen, and equally respected in each. What are role models for if not to aspire to the greatest heights?

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

sephyr
#5As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 12:56am

Hugh Jackman's notoriety in film and stage and Kristin Chenoweth's diverse musical theatre resume.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 1:01am

Lea Michelle, cause she is so well-liked by her co-workers.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#7As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 1:08am

I've always thought of Norbert Leo Butz's career in this way. He gets a lot of work, and is taken seriously as an actor and a singer. He's well-known and respected in the broadway community, but he's not like a "celebrity" which I like because I would never want the pressure of being a mega-star. Also, his talent has made it possible for him to age out of the stereotypical "young, handsome male lead" roles and still have a respectable, steady career.

eatlasagna
#8As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 1:14am

I'm going to see Hugh Jackman for me..

and if were to choose an opposite gender... Lea Salonga... she's just an amazing Filipino talent... always looked up to her in that regard

Marcellus2
#9As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 4:34am

Norbert Leo Butz, Raul Esparza, and Christian Borle for being able to flip back and forth between musical and straight play. Also Santino Fontana. He's done some awesome shows. I don't know if he was good in any of them, but he's gotten some great roles.
Updated On: 5/4/13 at 04:34 AM

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#10As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:16am

A very tough choice between Meryl Streep and Pee-Wee Herman.

iluvtheatertrash
#11As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:37am

Harvey Fierstein

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

TheFirst5Years
#12As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:59am

Danny Burstein.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#13As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:14am

Alice Ripley. She can sing but she continuous pushes the boundaries and has proven what a strong actress she really is. She gives fearless performances and makes strong choices always. And, she seems like such a genuine, nice person.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#14As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:57am

Two big names that could not be more different, but had a very similar career arc: Martin Short or Darren Criss.

Young, quirky entertainer forgoes the "slave in the chorus" route to form a small company of like-minded quirky entertainers, and breaks out independently as a result. Gains respect throughout the years as an auteur of slightly oddball theatrical entertainment as writer and performer, and has the freedom to choose what comes next as opposed to just working through whatever comes up.

broadway guy
#15As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 12:11pm

Hugh Jackman.

broadwaybabe1234 Profile Photo
broadwaybabe1234
#16As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 3:01pm

Sutton Foster. i would love to start as a dancer in the ensemble and work my way to do original roles on broadway.

[believe]

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#17As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 3:07pm

Jeff Stryker

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#18As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 3:22pm

Jeremy Pivin

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#19As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 5:34pm

Surprised no one mentioned John Lithgow. A pro's pro, and well liked and respected.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#20As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 10:18pm

Lithgow is incredibly respected with a wide and varied career.

I think it's interesting what people's choices reveal about them: a fair number of people want to do things the traditional way and live the gypsy life, others want to be the consummate professional or the big star. A single art form, with so many varied lifestyles and goals.

eyehrtfood
#21As an actor, whose career would you want to emulate?
Posted: 5/4/13 at 11:31pm

Lithgow would-be my choice, too. He took theater success into movies, then back to theater, then to huge TV success, back to theater, with movies continuing. He is well known enough to be on producers' short list for Bway shows, and well enough off from syndication, no doubt, to choose work as he pleases. Equally at hoe with comedic and dramatic roles, too,
Would Patrick Wilson be another actor with a solid career in several mediums, too?

Obviously, there are bigger stars than both, but guys like the above could lead fairly normal lives, too.

Updated On: 5/4/13 at 11:31 PM

Videos