pixeltracker

In-depth Update on Karen Olivo- Page 3

In-depth Update on Karen Olivo

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#50In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:27pm

She might have not been "near the top" but she won a goddamn Tony Award and starred in more broadway shows than most people could even dream of landing, but that really isn't the point. She wasn't happy and she wasn't fulfilled. Success isn't everything and you'll have to learn that eventually. Kill to get to the top and then be miserable there. Never give up on the dream you had once even if it stops being your dream. Sure, sounds like solid logic to me.

As a 'student' I find Karen Olivo to be a wonderful role model and if I ever reach 1/10 of her success, I hope I have the sense to drop it all if it no longer makes me happy.

Rainbowhigh23
#51In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:30pm

"Success is NOTHING...without someone you love to share it with." Billy Dee, Mahogany

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#52In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:31pm

I'm not saying what she did was right or wrong

You can't because it's not your life.

I can't not help but to feel sad when someone abandons something that millions of people would kill to have, including myself.

What she's doing has nothing to do with you or those millions of people. If you feel like doing something you don't enjoy that's causing you to suffer and be miserable, go ahead, but don't expect that your dreams equate to someone else's reality.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#53In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:35pm

It is NOT the way your brain works. A belief is not inherent, it is something you chose (and/or were taught.)

Think of this: should she REALLY have stayed just to see if she would've gotten further? At what cost? Her health? Her sanity? Her wellbeing? When is enough enough? Should she have stayed until she became a bitter hag if the jobs stopped coming?

What about the job she takes away from someone that WOULD love the experience?

I wish her nothing but joy and clarity.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Liza's Headband
#54In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:38pm

"I'm the guy who always who always gets angry at the ending of Pal Joey and The Devil's Wear Prada and It's not my fault, that's just how my brain works."

There is medicine for that kind of thing.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#55In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:42pm

I wish her Joy as well, and that she finally seeks whatever it is she is seeking. Again, I'm not condemning her for her actions, because like Matt said it is not my life to judge. Succes comes before happiness to me, I made that decision long ago and I'm completely aware that it was not a healthy one, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not something that I would recommend but it works for me.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#56In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:44pm

It reminds me of many people I know across the country, all doing what they love, often for a living - acting, teaching, directing; and yet they feel like failures because they never "tried to make it big in NYC." Ridiculous, but it's how they feel, and no arguments, anecdotes, or observations can convince them otherwise.

Liza's Headband
#57In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:46pm

"Succes comes before happiness to me, I made that decision long ago and I'm completely aware that it was not a healthy one, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not something that I would recommend but it works for me."

Example?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#58In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:50pm

Succes comes before happiness to me, I made that decision long ago and I'm completely aware that it was not a healthy one, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, as long as you're making unhealthy decisions. Just don't get so sad when others choose to make healthy decisions. I'm sure one day you may change your mind and make your AA sponsor proud.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dramamama611
#59In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:52pm

I talk to my students (particularly my seniors) about this very thing, Newintown.

I did the NY thing for about a year, and had a few off off jobs, but there was something about the lifestyle (not knowing if I could make rent or buy groceries) that just didn't set well with me. I made a choice to leave and through a variety of other things, found teaching. I could not be any happier with my success, and my job. I am so lucky to be able to say that nearly every day.

I'm halfway done with my summer vacation and I simply cannot wait to get back. I miss my kids and my work.

Success without joy is nothing.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#60In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:54pm

(re: allthatjazz) I just think that is problematic thinking. You have to be happy first in order to enjoy your success or you'll always be reaching for something more no matter what you accomplish. Where does one draw the line?

Updated On: 7/26/13 at 05:54 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#61In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 5:58pm

This Onion article feels relevant to me.

Unambitious Loser With Happy, Fulfilling Life Still Lives In Hometown

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Updated On: 7/26/13 at 05:58 PM

dramamama611
#62In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 6:23pm

And just how will you determine that you've reached success? A Tony Award? An Emmy? An EGOT? And until then?

Life happens making other plans. Don't squander it and wonder why you are sad and alone at 40 -- regardless of whether you have reached those pre-determined goals.

Liza's Headband
#63In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 6:30pm

"Succes comes before happiness to me, I made that decision long ago and I'm completely aware that it was not a healthy one, but I wouldn't have it any other way."

What's really sick is that it's THIS type of thinking that kills dozens of Hollywood celebrities every year. Perhaps the most recent and notorious case being Heath Ledger.

Do you really want to end up like him? Are you willing to sacrifice your common sense and life for your professional career? For a role in one movie? Goodness gracious.

broadwayboy101
#64In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 6:36pm

If success is more important than happiness to you, you clearly just want fame - acting has nothing to do with it.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#65In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 9:48pm

I recently listened to the episode of The Nerdist podcast which featured Rick Moranis, who similarly retired from acting to focus being an attentive father to his young children. In the interview he seemed like a caring, genuinely happy man who was at great peace with the decisions he'd made regarding his career. If anything, stepping back gave him a greater foundation upon which he could draw for the few gigs he picks up here and there when he feels comfortable and/or passionate about specific projects.

To me, in a deeply personal way, I believe success is the turning point when you feel empowered to make decisions based on what you *want* to do, not what you *need* to do (for standard of living essentials, for the strengthening of a career, for professional obligations).

I wonder, given all that jazz's romanticism towards the great divas and legends of old, if he'd similarly criticize Grace Kelly for retiring from acting after starring in only five films. Sure, she won an Oscar, but she was "nowhere near the top" - why she didn't even make the AFI's Top 10 Female Stars (she was #13). Or does becoming a Princess supercede acting success?

Eh, he'd probably rather gripe about stealing Judy's Oscar.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#66In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 9:53pm

Jazz's problem is that he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about 9/10 times.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#67In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 10:39pm

"Where does one draw the line?"

It's different for everyone, some people may dream about marrying the love of their live, raising a family and buying a house in the country where their grandchildren can visit them and that is perfectly alright. For me it's an Oscar. (you can laugh) But yes Drama, plans change and God does work in mysterious ways, so who knows I might wake up one morning and decide to become a priest. But since I don't know if such changes will happen or when they will happen, all that is left for me to do is to dedicate myself 100% to whatever it is that I'm doing at the moment and work towards where I want to be in the future.

"What's really sick is that it's THIS type of thinking that kills dozens of Hollywood celebrities every year. Perhaps the most recent and notorious case being Heath Ledger."

I won't lie, that's actually a very scary thought and I've always been very cautious on the matter. That's why I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, I don't want anything to stray me away from the path. It deeply saddens me every time I watch a documentary about Heath, MJ, or any other artist that ended up down that dark and painful road.

jnb, I know it's kind of a double standard but l love Princess Grace almost as much as I love Evita, even though she indeed stole Judy's Oscar. In-depth Update on Karen Olivo

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#68In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 10:45pm

Lord.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#69In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 10:46pm

Even Thora Birch's eye roll doesn't fit this level of ridiculousness.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#70In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
Posted: 7/26/13 at 10:58pm

Just remember, jazz, upon receiving your arbitrarily-defined happiness-and-success-bringing golden statuette, the words of wisdom of the great Dustin Hoffman: "He has no genitalia and is holding a sword."

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.