Summer in Chicago

iNick1224
#1Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/25/14 at 11:35am

I would post this on the Chicago board but it doesn't look like anyone really posts there. Anyways I'm heading to Chicago sometime this summer to visit relatives with flexible dates. I would like to see something that only Chicago offers. I was thinking steppenwolf and maybe second city... Any suggestions on good theatre or entertainment?
Thank you!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#2Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/25/14 at 1:33pm

Well, Paul Thompson keeps a pretty good posting of events over on the Chicago Board.
Besides Steppenwolf, check out the Goodman and Chicago Shakespeare for higher priced entertainment. The Drury Lane Oakbrook and Marriott Lincolnshire have really stepped up their games. I don't know what the summer offerings are.
Then there a ton of smaller theatres - The Theatre in Chicago website is a pretty good resource for listings and reviews.
Theatre in Chicago

#2Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/25/14 at 1:34pm

Both of those are good choices. Perhaps this link will help you- Chicago has hundreds of storefront theaters, many of which do very good work. Pick something and dive in.

I'd also recommend Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, an improve-based show that has been running in Chicago for over 20 years- but never the same twice. It spawned the "Urinetown" bunch to give you an idea of it's sensibilities and while quality is obviously uneven, it's never dull or less than thought-provoking and is only about $15 a person (Ticket prices are random, as is the order of the scene presented). get there early- most shows sell out.
Theater in Chicago

Marcellus2
#3Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/25/14 at 2:03pm

Look into some of the storefront theaters. The Hypocrites is one of my favorite storefronts in Chicago. They do awesome work. TimeLine Theatre does great stuff too.

Jacobonce
#4Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/27/14 at 4:32pm

I agree with storefronts. The Equity theatres are usually not bad, but I've seen some really amazing pieces at the smaller houses in Chicago.

I have always really enjoyed shows at American Theatre Co., Porchlight Musical Theatre, etc.

http://www.hottix.org is a great resource for last-minute 1/2 priced tickets.

Enjoy your time in the city!

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#5Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/27/14 at 5:23pm

Unfortunately, summer in Chicago is not a very good time to see theater. The folks recommending storefronts are on the right track, but most of the really swell storefronts go dark in the summer months. If you want a taste of the Chicago storefront experience, check out Theater on the Lake. Every summer they gather some of the best storefront/non-equity theater that has run in the previous year and give these productions one week runs. Since the seasons not over, the productions that will be appearing have not been announced yet. You can check out their website for updates: http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/events/theater-on-the-lake/

The big houses run shows in the summer in an attempt to snag the tourist crowd. There are some things that really look worthwhile on the schedule this summer.

Steppenwolf has a Bruce Norris world-premiere directed by recent Tony winner Pam Mackinnon. The cast has been announced yet, but I'd imagine it'll be worthwhile.

The Goodman has a major revival of Brigadoon with up and coming Chicago musical director Rachel Rockwell. Word on the street is that this production may lead to greater things. The Goodman is THE prestige theater here in Chicago, so it's worth the trip just to see the institution.

Chicago Shakes is doing Henry 5... but there shows are always hit and miss. The throw a ton of money at them, but I'm not sure they're always worth it. The theater itself, set out on Navy Pier, is absolutely beautiful. The view of the city skyline from the top floor bathrooms is the best view in the city. I'd check the reviews before I'd buy a ticket, though... and the tickets are EXPENSIVE. If you're there later in the summer, you might check out their Children's Show. They do one every summer, and they're usually fantastic. In the past they've done shortened Shrek, shortened Beauty and the Beast, shortened Suessical... etc. Though it sounds uninteresting, these productions are always fully produced and often star the cream of the Chicago theater community. They haven't announced what they're doing yet, but keep an eye out. Tickets are usually about 30 dollars.

Victory Gardens is doing Death and the Maiden with Golden Globe winner and Grey's Anatomy star (former star?) Sandra Oh. It's directed by the artistic director Chay Yew and everything he's done recently has been super-duper-fantastic. It's a significant theater that often goes unmentioned when people ask these questions. It's currently housed in the Biograph theater, which is where gangster John Dillinger saw a movement before he was shot in an alley around the corner. If you're lucky you'll see a Chicago Gangster Tour Bus when you're leaving the theater.

Of course, The Last Ship, will be trying out in Chicago over the summer... if that's of interest... but it's not quite what you're looking for.

Second City is almost always a good choice. The main stage and the ETC stage should both be great choices. Too Much Light Makes the Baby Goes Blind is a Chicago long run... but it's more slam poetry than it is Improv. Slam Poetry makes my skin crawl, so... you know... if it's the kind of thing that you like it'll be the kind of thing that you like. Also, take a look at IO. They're the beginning and the end for long form improv. Literally nobody does it better. See TJ and Dave for the best improv in the country (they do the Sonic commercials, if you're not familiar with Improv). See the Deltones if you'd like to try an improvised musical. See the Improvised Shakespeare Co if you wanna see... well... I'm sure that's clear. If you can't see any of those... see a Harold show.

That's all I've got for now!

Jesus saves. I spend.

iNick1224
#6Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/28/14 at 12:37am

Thank you all, i have a better idea now! :)

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
#7Summer in Chicago
Posted: 1/28/14 at 1:07am

Also check out Goldstar.com/Chicago

http://www.goldstar.com/chicago

They list advance tickets for many Chicago theatres (including many storefronts). Currently they have 84 shows posted. They usually sell about 1-2 months in advance so if you are coming in June or July look for performances online in May or June.

The bigger theatres often have 1/2 price last minute programs and you can get a good seat an hour or so before the performance time. Both Goodman and Steppenwolf offer this service and they can be house seats released at the last moment.

Hope this helps.

Videos