Baritone and Soprano duets

11actress96
#1Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/26/14 at 9:26pm

So my Grandfather is having is semi annual BBQ and has finally asked me to sing a duet with him. I'm thinking I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables (long back story made short favorite song promised to sing together) however if he says no I'd like to have a backup. He is a Baritone and I am a Soprano... 2? 1? whichever the low soprano is I keep getting confused b/c my music teacher keeps switching me. I can also sing alto but not as well. If you have any suggestions please let me know thanks Baritone and Soprano duets

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#2Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/26/14 at 11:40pm

Look for YouTube clips of Thomas Hampson and Kathleen Battle's concert at Avery Fisher Hall from the early 90's. Their program included Irving Berlin's "An Old Fashioned Wedding" and "You're Just In Love" with Battle taking on some high notes not written in the score. These are two lovely contrapuntal duets that can be sung either by a baritone and a mezzo or a baritone and a soprano.

If you feel like tackling opera, "La ci darem la mano" is a very famous duet sung by the characters of Don Giovanni and Zerlina from DON GIOVANNI that's specifically written for a baritone and a soprano. Good luck!

jwsel
#2Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/26/14 at 11:50pm

Perhaps Wheels of a Dream from Ragtime, which was originally sung by a baritone/soprano.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#3Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/27/14 at 5:12am

If I Loved You from Carousel and People Will Say We're In Love from Oklahoma might work.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#4Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/27/14 at 9:04am

Til There Was You, from The Music Man

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Queen of the Night
#5Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/27/14 at 10:02am

"The first man you remember" from Aspects of Love. It's a father-daughter duet, so it would be appropriate for a grandfather and granddaughter too. The daughter's part is not written really high because it's written for a teenage girl.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#6Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/27/14 at 11:13am

"The First Man You Remember" would be a touching choice. "I Don't Need Anything But You" from Annie is nice too.

Seeing as you are related a love duet might have too much of an ick factor.

"Old Fashioned Wedding" could be cute, but maybe change some pronouns first. You could be asking your grandfather to foot the bill for your fancy wedding and sing her part as written. He could sing "You'll have an Old Fashioned Wedding" instead of "We'll"/"He'll vow" instead of "I'll vow", etc.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Tink2 Profile Photo
Tink2
#7Baritone and Soprano duets
Posted: 5/27/14 at 5:10pm

Phantom of the Opera- title song
What Do the Simple Folk Do- Camelot
Anything You Can Do- Annie Get Your Gun
Only Make Believe- Showboat (may be too romantic?)

Latest Posts