pixeltracker

Downton Abbey Series 5 Discussion with Possible/Probable Spoilers- Page 2

Downton Abbey Series 5 Discussion with Possible/Probable Spoilers

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#25Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 9/30/14 at 3:43am

I assumed it was important enough for three scenes because they wanted to point out exactly what it was like then. It was a stark contrast to today. Or was it? Birth control is still primarily a women's issue, when it clearly takes two to tango. There is still, in many areas and cultures, a huge amount of shame directed at a woman who wants to prevent pregnancy. I think it also took up a great deal of story this week because it pointed out what a different woman Mary is now than a few seasons ago. It also pointed out that Anna had no idea what she was going to purchase and after several years of marriage, has yet to conceive. She's obviously using the rhythm method, at most.

Edith's story line is breaking my heart. First, she gave Marigold to a couple in Switzerland and then went back and took her away. They never even commented on that. Now she has given her to another clueless woman who thinks of the child as her own. The husband knows, but the wife just thinks this rich woman is coming in and taking over. I know this is horrible for Edith, but it's also horrendous for a child to be given then taken away.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Gothampc
#26Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 9/30/14 at 9:22am

"It also pointed out that Anna had no idea what she was going to purchase and after several years of marriage, has yet to conceive. She's obviously using the rhythm method, at most."

If we are to follow the previous storylines (which in soap operas you don't always have to do) Bates was in jail and then Anna was raped. So maybe there's not a lot going on physically between them because of these incidents.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

JerseyGirl2
#27Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 9/30/14 at 9:27am

Yes, but he's been out of prison for four years.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Gothampc
#28Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 9/30/14 at 9:38am

"Yes, but he's been out of prison for four years."

Maybe he's harboring the secret that in prison he discovered man-sex.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#29Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 9/30/14 at 4:22pm

I wasn't wondering what it was.

I was wondering what it was made of.

JerseyGirl2
#30Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 9/30/14 at 11:27pm

I assume she purchased a diaphragm and that it was made of rubber. They were mass-produced around that era.

degrassifan
#31Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/1/14 at 12:55pm

I assumed it was a diaphragm as well, but I guess I just wanted confirmation.

Gothampc
#32Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/13/14 at 12:17pm

Julian Fellowes is really slipping in the writing. Molesley just said "I've got too much on my plate" meaning he has too much work to do. I think that's a rather modern phrase.

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 12:17 PM

JerseyGirl2
#33Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/13/14 at 12:36pm

It seems the phrase started being used in the early 1900s.

Gothampc
#34Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/13/14 at 12:49pm

Is there any proof in that?

JerseyGirl2
#35Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/13/14 at 1:40pm

Well, it's 1924, currently. Oxford's earliest citation of the phrase was 1928. It's feasible that it was used in conversation earlier. Of course, they have also used the phrase on she show before. You have to just ignore certain things to enjoy the show, I guess.

Gothampc
#36Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/13/14 at 2:11pm

At least Cora is getting a storyline this season so Elizabeth McGovern becomes more than just a source of jokes about poor line delivery.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#37Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/14/14 at 2:46pm

Robert's prescient foretelling of a second World War in the latest episode was a little much, especially coming from a bumbling oaf like him.

I am enjoying this season so far, however.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#38Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/15/14 at 12:48pm

What is Barrow's medical condition? What was in that magazine he snatched from.. whatshername?

JerseyGirl2
#39Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/15/14 at 1:46pm

The magazine said, "Choose your own path..." and had a picture of a woman and a man. Was he on testosterone or something? Were there anti-gay therapies then?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#40Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/15/14 at 2:06pm

He was pale, shaky and sweaty. It must be some kind of horrible gay aversion therapy.

JerseyGirl2
#41Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/15/14 at 2:26pm

At first, I thought narcotics, but the magazine proved otherwise. It wasn't all that clear.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#42Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/15/14 at 3:48pm

Yes, he did seem to be in opiate withdrawal (or at least how it's often portrayed on television and movies).

Gothampc
#43Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 10/20/14 at 3:54pm

*spoilers* *spoilers* *spoilers*

Edith is going to kidnap that baby, you just wait and see!

Mary's storyline is becoming a snoozefest. Who will she dangle along next? If Julian had the nerve, she would really get a comeuppance. Why is her life all about men? You never see her with the baby.

And why are all the men ignoring the London women in favor of Mary Crawley, country pig farmer?

The Thomas storyline is being drawn out too long. We need more information about what he's doing. When the upstairs family starts to ask him what's wrong, it's time to reveal to the audience what's going on.

Mrs. Patmore suddenly comes into some money and she decides to buy a house with it? Why doesn't she erect a monument to that nephew she was weeping about last week?

Glad the schoolteacher left. The character was not well written.

Rose falls in love with a Jew. Not so shocking after last season's black love affair.

Updated On: 10/20/14 at 03:54 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#44Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/2/14 at 6:11pm

Tonights episode so far was the best of Series 5.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Gothampc
#45Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:46pm

***spoiler alert***

So nobody in the family thought to go look for Edith at the publishing company? They are all so stupid that an outsider had to think that up?

I think that Julian Fellowes telegraphs too much. Ooh, remember how badly Larry behaved the last time he was at Downton? Well just go ahead and ruin the plot for the audience. Larry is going to be nasty again. Ho-Hum.

And the Anna running to Mrs. Hughes scene was out of place. Why should she tell it around that Edith had a baby with her? That scene made no sense. What's Mrs. Hughes going to do about it? Run and tell Carson?

And what stupid plan to say Edith adopted the baby. When the child gets older, don't you think people will be able to see a resemblance to Edith?

JerseyGirl2
#46Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/2/14 at 11:10pm

My first thought last week was that she would be easy to find at the publishing house. The idea of it taking someone outside the family to think of that is absolutely ridiculous. Also, right now, Marigold is staying with the woman who is absolutely heartbroken that she's being taken away? Keep stabbing people, why don't you?!

Gothampc
#47Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:18am

"Also, right now, Marigold is staying with the woman who is absolutely heartbroken that she's being taken away? Keep stabbing people, why don't you?!"

I find the family dynamic interesting. Mary can toy with several different men and nobody thinks badly of her. Edith tries to give shelter to a baby and everyone is down on her. Edith should have stayed in London and carried on her life there.

JerseyGirl2
#48Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/3/14 at 11:57am

And, the farmer's wife was supposed to be handled by her husband. She went straight to Cora the day after Edith left. I won't buy her keeping quiet for a second.

Gothampc
#49Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/3/14 at 12:17pm

"She went straight to Cora the day after Edith left. I won't buy her keeping quiet for a second."

It's nice to know that anyone can just waltz into Downton Abbey and see the lady of the house. How realistic is that?

And I thought it was odd that they bring Anna into the storyline when they have enough drama with Mrs. Drue. Is it show economics? Since they already pay Joanne Froggat, they might as well use her rather than the actress who plays Mrs. Drue?