pixeltracker

Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe- Page 2

Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#25Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 3:29pm

There were more miracles in the Middle Ages, and it certainly would have taken one for a 33 year old woman to have an adult grandson.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#26Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 3:36pm

FYI (not that Pippin is supposed to be grounded in reality): Women in the Middle Ages were married around 12-13. Life expectancy was very short, particularly for women, who were lucky if they made it to 40.

However, I still urge you to listen to the clip so kindly provided and perhaps watch the interview on The View where Andrea Martin talks a little about her approach.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#27Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 3:36pm

@ GoSmileLaughCryClap - Betty White is 92.

I don't see what the problem is with a person being a few years younger then the character they are playing. It's the stage for goodness sake- people play all kinds of ages at different ages.

Darreyl with an L!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#28Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 3:41pm

All I'm saying is that, even is Berthe bore Charles at the age of 12, and he sired Pippin at the age of 12, Pippin would still only be 9 when Berthe was 33.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#29Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 3:43pm

newintown-this is a fantasy, you do realize that??? They have done a reasonably good job casting these people age wise. Why do you need to nitpick every frigging detail?

brdway411
#30Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 3:49pm

Pippin is 38 y.o. So a guess anything goes now. I am so skipping this cast.

Updated On: 9/24/14 at 03:49 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#31Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 4:02pm

Am I the one who said Berthe would have been 33?

Actually that myth of the 40 year old life span is just that - the average is significantly lowered by high peasant mortality, but aristocrats (including royalty) often lived into their 80s and 90s.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#32Love her, but Lucie looks too young to play Berthe
Posted: 9/24/14 at 4:09pm

Having birthed this thread, I happily concede that there are many here who happily embrace a formidable and vibrant Granny.

I actually don't care all that much about this, and it's interesting that it has generated strong opinions.

In fact I started this thread partly as backhanded way to state that I think Lucie Arnaz looks great. She's also a great person, and I'm happy she's back at work.

I promise that I will get to a performance when she's in town, and then dig up this thread to report on my 1st person thoughts.

Cheers,

GSLCC

Videos