pixeltracker

MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway- Page 3

MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#50MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:20pm

The OP has been proven wrong, but if you don't like what they have to offer, don't go to that theater. They don't have to provide shows with tons of diversity, they will offer what will sell to their base. Seeing shows about white, rich people works for them I guess.

Pootie2
#51MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:32pm

So the real gist I get from this thread is wonderfulwizard11's post upstream, about MTC being nonprofit and shouldn't be sticking with safe/profitable conservative programming. Kad said that the subscription model is dying off, so if the old white people's children don't consistently buy into that model, the theaters would be forced to evolve as well. What other possible recourse is there?

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#52MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:45pm

"You said this thread was "moot" despite the fact the topic had broadened significantly."

Not really since we are still talking about the same theater. I will retract and say the original statement posed by the OP is now moot.

"As long as we're being anecdotal, the preview of On The Town I saw last week featured ONE (1) non white audience member in the orchestra section."

Since your demographics page was nothing but a racist posting a racist photo, that has nothing to do with anything theater-wise, here are some actual demographics on who attends Broadway theater. The audience to "On The Town" shouldn't shock you.

Actual demographics

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#53MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 6:56pm

How can a photograph be Racist?
It wasn't doctored.

Wilmingtom
#54MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 7:20pm

I really don't believe that "playing to their base" has anything to do with diversity. Their audience, rather sophisticated, will attend an accomplished production whether it's exploring the African-American, Asian, WASP, Indian, LBGT or whatever other experience. Build it well and they will come, period.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55MTC's Friedman Theatre- The Whitest Stage on Broadway
Posted: 10/1/14 at 7:30pm

iWannaBEaSedaris, are you seriously not going to admit you were wrong regarding this theater having nothing but white actors in the past 2 years? Really?

Hm, a side by side comparison to a black subway dancer and an ape? Yep, that's pretty racist.