pixeltracker

White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues- Page 2

White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues

javero Profile Photo
javero
#25White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues
Posted: 10/1/14 at 8:43pm

"If the sperm bank had delivered a white donor's sperm [to a non-white recipient], would we be so quick to call a lawsuit against them by the parents racist? I highly doubt it."

That's a bit of a red herring that presupposes a non-affirmative reply, which isn't consistent with your routine reasoning. But, please don't take it as an indictment.

The two items at issue were the arguably incendiary headline and the alleged negligence of a sperm bank operator. To me, Newser preyed on the deep-seated fears of its readership with that headline. The Chicago Tribune in contrast opted for a much classier version while allowing it's readers to interpret the facts on their own accounts.

Like you, I have no opinion on whether the lawsuit has merit or not.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 10/1/14 at 08:43 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#26White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:07am

I don't feel indicted. But I didn't intend it as a red herring. I intended it as an illustration that some parents might have reasons for wanting to specify the race of their sperm donor that might not be at all what one would expect.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#27White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:04am

PDF of Plaintiff's Pleading

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#28White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues
Posted: 10/2/14 at 7:32am

Thanks, Javero. It looks, at least at first glance, to be a viable pleading to me. It appears in fact that there may well be no factual dispute that there was a breach of contract.

As the drafter and plaintiff might readily concede (if the facts aren't disputed), the pleading is also consistent with the U.S. not being post-racial. Far from it.

But all one has to do is look at the news hourly to figure that out.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#29White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues
Posted: 10/2/14 at 8:04am

An added wrinkle is that the recipient in this case is a lesbian.

I don't know what you mean.

Let me attempt to put this into perspective. There are still plenty of parents who absolutely do not want their son or daughter to be born (or turn) gay. If that was not the case with anyone on this message board then consider yourself fortunate. I'm acquainted with several members of the GLBTQ community who at some point during adolescence were either expelled from their homes or beaten up by a parent and/or siblings due to their orientation. What if those parents had been able to determine the child's orientation at birth? Suing God was not an option?

That did not provide any perspective. Your comparison to being born gay with this case is irksome. Very "othering".

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#30White Woman Given Sperm From Black Donor Sues
Posted: 10/2/14 at 4:11pm

She makes a lot of great points, I hope they get a great pay out from all of this.
Interview