THE LAST SHIP Reviews

neonlightsxo
#75NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:19am

Thanks for sharing that. Riedel obviously doesn't know that they shot a TV commerical over the summer. I wonder if that's the commercial he's talking about or if there's a new one in the works.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#76NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:45am

Riedel undoubtedly knows about the extant tv commercial, which plays fairly regularly. The one he is talking about is a new, better one, based on production videos, and if it is edited well, I think it will help (esp since the one I have been seeing would never have encouraged me to buy a ticket to the show).

massofmen
#77NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 10:14am

HOgans looks like i was right concerning the nut. If you have any other questions I will be right here to answer any of them.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#78NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:09pm

This might have fared better had it opened in April 2016 - right before the Tonys.

Doubt this will make it until than. The curse of the Simon on musicals appears to be alive and well. It is too bad for the actors but nothing you can do about it.

Poster Emeritus

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#79NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:32pm

You mean April 2015?

I don't know, Mr. Roxy. There are a lot of shows opening in the spring. They may have thought they were doing themselves a favor by opening now when there was less competition.

I thought the critics were much more generous than I would be-and it's still not selling. We'll see how the new ad campaign works out.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#80NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:38pm

mass-you may be technically right (that it is barely not making the nut rather than barely making it, as I suggested) but that does not make your conclusion correct. we shall see. get back to me when you are doing more than taking uneducated guesses.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#81NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:42pm

dreaming-it is quite a bit too early to say it is "not selling." It has very experienced and successful producers who will bring to bear all of their collective resources. Although the post review sales are not good, it is also clear that this falls into that category of show that does not survive on review-generated sales. So what Riedel reports is not necessarily relevant. Of course, that doesn't mean everything is rosy-just that the story is yet to be written, and I agree with you that anticipated new ad is going to help write that story one way or the other.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#82NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:47pm

I've seen the show twice, and I would see it again IF they had a rush. Kind of stupid on their part not to have one at this point. Get as many people in that theater as possible to generate some favorable buzz.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#83NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:51pm

They do have a lottery and student ticketing, so it's not like they aren't offering anything in that regard, though.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#84NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:57pm

Like Carol King, Sting's fans are an older demographic. A lottery and student rush is good if you're 21, but 21 year olds don't even know who Sting is. The producers need a rush that is available to everyone.

massofmen
#85NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:57pm

Updated On: 10/31/14 at 12:57 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#86NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 1:05pm

"The producers need a rush that is available to everyone."

Shows tend to do rush or lottery, not both. That said, I have to imagine if you show up for the lottery, you will either win or be offered lottery loser seats at near-rush prices.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#87NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 1:32pm

A lottery and student rush is good if you're 21, but 21 year olds don't even know who Sting is.

Well, the really stupid and ignorant ones don't and those few probably aren't interested in anything on Broadway.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics