The Last Ship Lasting

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#175The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:43am

Why are we talking about the fall? The show has to survive to the Tonys first. If it does and is still running in the fall, there will be no talk about stop clauses (which are ridiculous anyway-they would never invoke it in this scenario). Seller is doing what good producers do. It's not about faith so much as good business decisions (especially when you admittedly made some bad ones first). I think the real indictment here is of Spotco. Seller has had good fortunes with them going back to Ave Q, but they were young and hungry then. Now they seem no different than Serino Coyne.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#176The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:44am

Bad choice to take the Simon. Too many recent early casualties there.

Poster Emeritus

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#177The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:19am

Saw The Last Ship yesterday afternoon, orchestra section was sold out couldn't see the mezz. I went in with low expectations and wound up really enjoying it. The score is amazing, lush, driving, smart lyrics, great performances - sharp staging. Yeah there's the one key plot turn which is odd but once I went with it there was no issue. This is the kind of show I would attend just to listen to the score. Far superior to Finding Neverland which was a frustrating mess in Boston. Far more accessible than Fun Home which is more of an art house offering. I saw the other two low brow musical comedies in NJ and they don't deserve nominations so its only An American On Paris which will qualify as big Broadway competition for best traditional musical.

Up In One
Updated On: 11/24/14 at 11:19 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#178The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:33am

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 11:33 AM

neonlightsxo
#179The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:37am

dreaming, stop stating your opinion as fact. Many of us, and many of the critics loved the score.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#180The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:39am

"FAR FROM PERFECT books have been a part of musicals that have run for years and years."

Yes, but all of your examples are fun shows, jukebox musicals, or shows with some sort of spectacle (drag queens, chanedeliers, etc.) This doesn't rise to the level of jukebox, with only 2-3 previous Sting songs, and only one that was well-known, so yeah, if you're going to tel an original story, with original music, about an event no one knows about, where the cast is entirely made up of plainspoken, earnest blue collar workers, then a weak book stands out more, because there's nothing else pulling your focus.

Sure, if Collin Kelly-Sordelet came into one of the scenes painted green, or wearing thigh-high red heels singing about how they give him sex appeal, I might more easily forget the weird book moment of the previous scene. But if the next scene, just builds on it, and keeps going...

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#181The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:54am

dreaming-I have seen Once, I have seen Gents Guide and I have seen Fun Home. Fun Home is no Once and it is no Gents Guide. That's not to suggest I didn't personally prefer it to both of the other two you mention, but to suggest it is accessible in the way of the other two is just a fan-blind delusion. The clear-eyed perspective is that they are going to have a VERY tough road to hoe. I wish them well and will be pulling for them, but I won't be holding my breath.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#182The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:58am

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 11:58 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#183The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:00pm

Lesbian coming of age stories set in funeral homes where the closeted gay dad kills himself isn't as accessible as Irish heterosexuals falling in love or a British murder farce?!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#184The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:04pm

This will be my last post: It's all about...MARKETING. The Last Ship has yet to show a decent way of marketing it.

(Once didn't take off until after the Tonys.)

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#185The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:07pm

dreaming, yes it is about marketing, but the funny thing about marketing is that it isn't worth squat if people don't want to buy what you are selling. It's fine to speak in generalities, but generalities sink ships.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#186The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:09pm

I like your metaphor-careful it doesn't wax prophetic for your show. Only time will tell. There are plenty of offerings coming.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#187The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:11pm

Lesbian coming of age stories set in funeral homes where the closeted gay dad kills himself isn't as accessible as Irish heterosexuals falling in love or a British murder farce?!

Yes. Not just from a marketing perspective. The show's style is dense - I love it - and if I had a vote - I would vote for it - but when considering a Broadway audience. Fun Home is a tuff sell.

Up In One

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#188The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:16pm

I thought Loose Lips sunk ships. Just kidding

I enjoyed it but have no feeling that it will last to long. Sad but this is the true nature of Broadway. It is a business. If your product does not sell, no matter how worthy, it is toast

If you have someone who (in another post) saw a show 7 times and will see it again, you see why producers feel they can charge whatever they want. If enough people are like this person, they could charge $ 250 a ticket and to some it would make no difference. They will see 1 show multiple times instead of seeing 7 different shows

As good as the show is, it ain't selling and it unfortunately is not destinied to succeed. I used to be sad about these early closings but I no longer do.

Poster Emeritus

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#189The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:19pm

"I used to be sad about these early closings but I no longer do."

Mr. Roxy-I've begun to agree with you on that-I just enjoy while it's here and am glad to have the opportunity to see what I can. (Doesn't mean I LOVE everything I see-but the opportunity to see it is a gift.)

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 12:19 PM