#2Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Posted: 11/30/14 at 3:45pm

Yes

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Posted: 11/30/14 at 4:39pm

Like Cirque, I find if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

I am not a fan of spectacle, and do not enjoy this type of show.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Posted: 11/30/14 at 5:43pm

It's super touristy and one of those shows if you've seen it once, there is no use going back (maybe once every so often).

I first went about 15 years ago when I was 12. I made a return visit last year because I was curious.

I've never seen so many disruptive people in a theater (again, because there are SO many tourists). My mom and I had aisle seats, and there were so many latecomers blocking our view as they were walking down the aisle. People were coming in even much later into the show. So many people were also recording on cell phones and iPads. Not one usher said anything. I complained about the girl recording with her iPad to an usher, who eventually spoke to the girl. But 20 minutes later, she took it out again to record.

I don't know if this was just my performance, but the ushers there do not seem to enforce any rules when it comes to recording inside the theater or latecomers.

It was perhaps one of the most disruptive and unenjoyable theater experiences I've had in regards to the audience.

The show itself isn't that great with the exception of the Rockettes. All the filler stuff in between the Rockette numbers is not that entertaining unless you're a kid. I do remember the Nativity scene being pretty cool, but that was about it. I wish the show was strictly the Rockettes.

Are you looking for yourself and a friend/family member? Or are you planning on going with any kids?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#4Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Posted: 12/1/14 at 11:31pm

I saw it last year out of curiosity and i have to echo the frustration over how disruptive the audience members and ushers themselves were. The ushers were seating people - walking them down the aisles and then asking rows of people to stand and let them in - in the *middle* of scenes/songs, rather than waiting until the applause between scenes. And the latecomers being seated was surprisingly happening in a constant stream throughout most of the length of the performance, which was horribly distracting and annoying. I definitely won't go back to see it again - not worth the frustration.

broadwayguy2
#5Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Posted: 12/2/14 at 12:56am

Well, if one is silly enough to think the Christmas Spectacular is a "theatre experience"... It is an arena spectacular experience. Staged as such, treated as such, and populated in the house as such.

Videos