pixeltracker

2016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?

2016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?

APrice.Indiana
#12016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:09pm

We all know NBC is producing "The Music Man Live!" in 2015. What are you hoping to see in 2016? I would personally like to see Mary Poppins or any other Disney.

RENT_is_Wicked2
#22016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:12pm

Well Disney isn't affiliated with NBC, so I would think that it would be harder to do so.

Starship
#22016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:14pm

White Christmas with Julianne Hough, The Wiz with Janelle Monáe as Dorothy, Patti Labelle as Addapearle/Evillene, and Mary J Blige as Aunt Em/Glinda. Oh, and Hello, Dolly! with Queen Latifah. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!

Updated On: 12/7/14 at 09:14 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#32016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:20pm

Definitely the Latifah DOLLY!

Is THE MUSIC MAN a sure thing now?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Liza's Headband
#42016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:24pm

No. It has never been confirmed, Nowack. They simply optioned the property, which gives them the exclusive right to produce a live television broadcast over a fixed amount of time (the exact amount is not public knowledge). Massive corporations, like NBC and Disney, do that all the time. So it's always possible that THE MUSIC MAN never comes to fruition.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#52016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:33pm

Are we even sure they are doing another one after Peter Pan?

Liza's Headband
#62016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:36pm

Publicly, NBC is saying "yes." Behind the scenes, I would venture to say "To Be Determined."

At the end of the day, NBC answers to NBCUniversal and they answer to the shareholders of parent company Comcast. If they were not happy with the financial outcome, I have to imagine NBCUniversal would shut it down. So, I imagine we'll find out soon enough (Jan or Feb)

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#72016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:38pm

Oh Calcutta

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#82016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:06pm

I really hope they don't do "The Music Man" next year. I don't think it will draw in a lot viewers. They should do "Bye Bye Birdie".

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#92016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:14pm

How about "Bye Bye Birdie?"

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#102016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:23pm

Little Shop starring Megan Hilty.

candydog2
#112016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:24pm

I don't think any of those will be picked. It would have to be either a well-known family musical, or a musical based on a well-known family story. That's why they chose The Sound of Music and Peter Pan. I'll be very surprised if they actually go with The Music Man next year.

They'll probably go along the route of something like The Wizard of Oz, Oliver, or Grease.

Liza's Headband
#122016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:25pm

Just as long as they have a legitimate A-list superstar (ie. Underwood) and well-known television star (ie. Moyer) featured together, they'll do well with pretty much any recognizable family-friendly classic: Birdie, Dolly, Music Man, Anything Goes, etc. I firmly believe the star power holds more weight than the property brand recognition.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#132016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:28pm

^ Thinking about it they could probably do any show that wanted if they had big enough names.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#142016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:31pm

"They'll probably go along the route of something like The Wizard of Oz, Oliver, or Grease."

Fox has already optioned Grease.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#152016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:34pm

cats or evita!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#162016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:38pm

The Wizard of Oz, Oliver!, Cinderella, The King & I, Meet me in st Louis are all shows that would make a brilliant television musical.

skylight2
#172016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:44pm

Cinderella. They could stunt cast a lot of roles in that show.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#182016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 11:03pm

Do you know what stunt casting means?

Mrtrobz
#192016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 11:07pm

Oliver! would be amazing but there could be a rights issue, same goes for Oz. I could see them going for Oklahoma but I love the idea of Oliver, Sam Barks for Nancy.

Starship
#202016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 12:02am

I don't think Sam Barks is really a big enough name...I feel like she's on the same level Allison Williams was on (in terms of recognition).

Mrtrobz
#212016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 1:51am

They could get a name for Fagin and Bill. :)

MoDance0934 Profile Photo
MoDance0934
#222016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 2:57am

Disney owns ABC, and Disney would never give NBC the rights to do a broadcast of their show. Maybe ABC will do live broadcasts on their own, but I highly doubt it. NBC would do great if they did a live production of West Side Story, Dream Girls, or Oliver. Maybe even Annie.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#232016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 3:05am

It's kinda silly to hinge so much of the choice on being kid-friendly when the broadcast runs way past most kids bedtimes.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#242016 NBC Live Musical? What do you want?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 7:45am

The idea that the plug is being pulled here seems so premature. This was the best Thursday night (the most important TV night of the week) for NBC, beating all the other broadcast networks that week, and was adjusted slightly up when accounting for DVR viewing.

I guess we may never know, but I have to imagine that even with all the rehearsals, sets, costumes, and team members required to pull off this production - it's cheaper than it would cost for the sports rights and production team to broadcast the NFL that night. As long as that's the other big Thursday night option, I think we've got a musical coming our way.
More total viewers than Football...