First Time NYC Visit

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#1First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 4:27pm

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to New York for the first time this year (I specifically want to go to see Kristin Chenoweth in On the Twentieth Century because I love the show and her), but planning the trip has been difficult. We were hoping for early June (right around Tony time) for a Thursday-Monday weekend, could anyone help with suggesting a nice and affordable (hopefully they aren't mutually exclusive) place to stay? The hotels suggested to us were all bonkers-expenisve (something like $1000 per person per night, which I didn't even know was a thing...why does it cost more just because there's another person in a 1 bed-room?). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Any other suggestions of what to do and see that weekend would also be terrific :)

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

neonlightsxo
gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#2First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 4:54pm

And you know, I thought I remembered one recently, but with not being able to search the board for threads or anything, I figured someone would answer or post a link. Thanks!

Wow, that thread's question is so similar to mine I now feel silly.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 1/6/15 at 04:54 PM

KathyNYC2
#3First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 4:54pm

My friend who travels a lot always stays in the Luzerne..which is at 79th Street and Amsterdam. It's one short block away from the subway that takes you directly into theater district but far enough away to enjoy a little peace and quiet and get to see more of a NYC neighborhood instead of a tourist trap. It's not cheap but no where near the prices you have quoted. And I hear it's very nice.

Some good options in the thread above also.

neonlightsxo
#4First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 4:56pm

"but with not being able to search the board for threads or anything"

Not sure what you mean. There's a search feature. I used it to retrieve that thread.

Updated On: 1/6/15 at 04:56 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#5First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 5:11pm

So, turns out I have been reading the board for 2 years and always thought that search up there was for the news site only! I suck at interneting.

Thanks Kathy! Looking into it.

Updated On: 1/6/15 at 05:11 PM

KathyNYC2
#6First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 7:30pm

Just as a general tip..if you stay in the theater district, even if you find a good hotel rate, it's harder to find more reasonable food and restaurants that are not often ridiculously crowded at certain times of the day. You can but you really have to look (and no more Edison Hotel Cafe..wahhh).

Once you get out of the touristy areas, you can generally find more options for reasonable places to eat.

I am not saying don't do stay in the theater district if you find the convenience most important..I am just saying if you are looking at prices, you should take this into consideration.

indytallguy
#7First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 8:06pm

I just did a random check of Marriott and Hyatt properties Thurs-Sun for the first two weeks in June and both brands had some options around $250/night, so you should not have difficulty finding a decent rate.

NYC rates change dramatically. I'm coming in this weekend and my Friday night room at the Hyatt Place Midtown was $179 a month or so ago, then $149 about two weeks ago, $114 last week, and now $98! So book something now, note the last day to cancel on your calendar, and then start checking options again (at your reserved hotel and elsewhere) beginning about 4 weeks out.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#8First Time NYC Visit
Posted: 1/6/15 at 8:16pm

The OUT NYC is gay friendly and has sleep share accommodations ranging from %65-$147/night (average $100/night).