pixeltracker

David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep

David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep

AwesomeDanny
#1David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 2/23/15 at 5:13pm

Previews have started for Kansas City Rep's production of Angels in America, directed by David Cromer. Is anyone planning to see this production? Angels in America is my favorite play, and David Cromer is one of my favorite directors, and I think he is perfect for the piece.. It looks like he's working with a fantastic cast, as well. He directed the piece and played Louis in a production in Chicago back in 1998 in what I have heard was a really stunning production. I am extremely jealous of anyone who gets the opportunity to see this production, and I would love to hear your thoughts. The plays run in rep through the end of March.

FindingNamo
#2David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 2/23/15 at 5:14pm

Me too on all counts.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

indytallguy
#2David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 2/23/15 at 5:56pm

I'm seriously contemplating a trip to see it, but Claybourne Elder left me cold with his performance as George in Signature's SITPWG, so I remain on the fence.

pathman2
#3David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 2/23/15 at 6:34pm

Seeing both parts this Saturday. I'll try to post something on Sunday.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:50pm

I think Claybourne is sooooo overrated. He's so boring on stage. I saw him in Road Show - snooze - and One Arm - snooze. Sure, he's cute. I get it. But he's a boring actor. And he's married (dating?) the artistic director of Kansas Rep...so that seems shady.

FindingNamo
#5David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:52pm

"One of the first things you grasp on the Internet is that gay men don't like each other." -- Justin Sayre

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

pathman2
#6David Cromer's Angels in America at Kansas City Rep
Posted: 3/1/15 at 1:59pm

Saw both parts yesterday. The cast is outstanding, each and every actor. The staging unfortunately is mostly boring and sometimes completely awkward. The set consists of three huge "stone" steps with a backdrop of clouds for every act except the first act of Part 1 (why?). Each scene takes place on one of the three steps with set pieces carried/rolled on/off rather slowly since each "step" isn't that wide.

The Mormon Visitor's Center diorama scene highlighted it, but the visual effect was of each scene as its own diorama given the narrow playing space on each step. I'm not sure if that was even the intention and I think I'm making it sound better then it was, because it wasn't the least bit theatrical. The only scene I can think of right now that may have benefited from this setup was when Harper crawled down from the top step to first merge her dream/hallucination with Prior's on the lower step. But, overall, the whole piece just didn't flow and many scenes felt "off." I loved Cromer's stagings of Our Town and Tribes, but I really felt he was at a disadvantage here in such a large proscenium theater.