pixeltracker

Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June- Page 3

Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June

LarryD2
#50Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:08pm

I saw last Friday's matinee. Rush put me in the house-right box, which offered a full view considering nothing is played on the sides. I didn't see the show with David, but I found Alexander quite engaging. He has great energy. He's maybe not the best actor, but he had the audience eating from his hand and kept them rapt throughout. 

I've really enjoyed Headly and Perez in the past here but they're both quite bad here. I agree with Whizzer that Headly's part isn't great, but she surely doesn't do anything to make it better. Perez was phoning it and rushing her lines like she had a flight to catch. 

The supporting cast was mostly strong, with Houdyshell doing her usual great work. Understudies were on for Molly Ranson and Jake Cannavale; both did fine. The play isn't great, but there are some definite laughs, and Alexander was fun to watch. He looked like he was having a ball.

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 12:08 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#51Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/15/15 at 11:48pm

Does anyone know whether Jason Alexander comes out after Friday matinees?  Thanks!

AnarchyinthePreK Profile Photo
AnarchyinthePreK
#52Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 1:47am

He did last Friday. 

ChiTheaterFan
#53Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 1:57am

"He did last Friday. "

Thanks!

bfreak
#54Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:27am

Yes, Jason Alexander usually comes out after every performance, both matinees and evenings. It's kinda funny because usually when a "name" is in a show they don't do the stage door in-between shows but both Jason and Larry David did throughout the coarse of this show's run, which is actually very nice.

ChiTheaterFan
#55Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:58am

This is great info. I don't usually stage door (have only done it once) so I'm new at this. Thanks. :)

bfreak
#56Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:22am

Yeah. And I haven't stage doored with Jason but I saw a few YouTube videos and he actually makes sure that he signs and takes pictures with every single person waiting so don't worry if you are a little farther behind the barricades.

actorsnonactors Profile Photo
actorsnonactors
#57Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 11:11am

Let's look at the grosses. 82 percent of potential. A 91.6. I think they have enough juice to make it to the fall, at the very least.  It's very possible another LA friend of Mr. David's will come in and commit to another six week run. Maybe a female? Would the script convert well? Would Julia Louis-Dreyfus play?  So many possibilities. Just do a run of Seinfeld / Curb actors... Tambor would be great, depending on show renewals / schedule.

Tom5
#58Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 11:25am

This will likely be the end for its Broadway run - every week in the black. I doubt it will ever be done regionally (Unless LA) because of large cast, many sets and  all-star cast. It will, however,  be adapted by David for film. Whether that will be cable or a  large format feature film remains to be seen.

LarryD2
#59Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/16/15 at 11:27am

It will likely tour next year with Alexander.

actorsnonactors
#60Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/27/15 at 10:39am

"Taking nothing away from Alexander. there will be a big drop off in sales. It will no longer be a hot ticket."

I'm really glad to see how wrong this post is.  There was such a bitter glut of nay-saying from folks...yay for straight plays breaking theatre records! Alexander has been in for weeks, is considering an extension, and they're still selling to 82 percent of their gross potential which is fabulous. I hope the next lead down the pipe has as much success. 

I wonder what Ray Romano is up to?

Updated On: 7/27/15 at 10:39 AM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#62Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:45pm

""Taking nothing away from Alexander. there will be a big drop off in sales. It will no longer be a hot ticket."
 I'm really glad to see how wrong this post is.  There was such a bitter glut of nay-saying from folks...yay for straight plays breaking theatre records! Alexander has been in for weeks, is considering an extension, and they're still selling to 82 percent of their gross potential which is fabulous. I hope the next lead down the pipe has as much success. 
I wonder what Ray Romano is up to?"

Fish in the Dark is closing this Saturday,  August 1, so Jason is not considering an extension as far as been publicly announced.  Are you referring to them considering extending past this Saturday?  Is that even feasible at this point?

ChiTheaterFan
#63Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:58pm

Sylvia is going into the Cort so I think this is it. 

Updated On: 7/29/15 at 04:58 PM

LightsOut90
#64Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/29/15 at 8:08pm

Saw it today, having seen it with both guys, noticed some slight dialogue changes, significantly the Pretty Pretty Pretty Good line towards the end of act 2. Jason really gives it his all and his energy is great (they guy does a front flip onto his back at one point, terrific)

actorsnonactors
#65Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/30/15 at 3:29pm

"""Taking nothing away from Alexander. there will be a big drop off in sales. It will no longer be a hot ticket."
I wonder what Ray Romano is up to?"

Fish in the Dark is closing this Saturday,  August 1, so Jason is not considering an extension as far as been publicly announced.  Are you referring to them considering extending past this Saturday?  Is that even feasible at this point?
 "

Apologies for my error. Seems like a dreadful business decision to cut bait now...then again, I guess there's many shows we wish had been this astute years ago, rather than hanging around and taking up space. Or not.