pixeltracker

HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews- Page 3

HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 7:47pm

Saw this on Wednesday night and was pretty much blown away. I keep thinking about it. I was not expecting it to be as disturbing as it was. I purposely did not read much about it before seeing it, and that worked in my favor, as I felt very invested in the twists, turns, and messages. All of the performers were terrific, every single one. Marc Kudisch was especially wonderful and in a different season could have been nominated for a Tony. I definitely hope to see this again very soon.

Also, the house was packed, and there was a ton of gasps, screams of laughter, etc. Very vocal and invested audience. 

Updated On: 5/8/15 at 07:47 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#51HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 8:26pm

That's nice to hear! I saw the show for the second time the day of the Tony nominations, and while the house was full it wasn't nearly as vocal as it was when I saw it in previews. Still, they play itself was possibly even better. Marc Kudisch's work, in particular, has gotten stronger- when I first saw the show I wasn't wild about him but I thought he was very strong the second time. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Hairspray0901
#52HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:57pm

I saw this last night and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I didn't hate it, but, I didn't love it either. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the show, other than the fact that a hand puppet is involved. Steven Boyer is incredible; I saw The Elephant Man and was convinced Bradley Cooper was 100% going to win the Tony this year. I then saw Curious Incident and thought, if anyone is going to beat Cooper, it will be Alex Sharp but, now I'm thinking it's anyone's game! A fantastic performance by him.

My friend absolutely hated it; she was offended and wanted her money back. She is pretty religious. (oops...) 

An observation: The right orchestra was laughing hysterically throughout while where I was sitting, in the left orchestra, only seemed to chuckle here and there. I didn't find the first act to be funny at all and was pretty bored until the last scene of that act. The second act held my attention pretty well and the ending shocked me like no other! It was a crazy turn of events and lots of gasping from the audience. I don't plan on recommending it to others, since I didn't leave loving it.

Also - unrelated to the show itself, but, Sutton Foster & whom I presume is her husband were there, so that was a pleasant surprise seeing her in the audience!

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#53HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/11/15 at 6:36pm

Hairspray0901, your observation is really surprising. I was at the Sunday matinee, sitting on the right, and felt like they were playing much more to house left. There were a number of times when my view of the puppet was blocked by another actor. I liked the play, but felt like the director hadn't thought enough about what was visible from some of the seats.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#54HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/26/15 at 10:47am

Saw this on Saturday (we had seen it at EST and at the Lortel) and we still loved it . . . but maybe not quite as much as we did the first couple of times.  Any rawness we had seen before was gone -- this is a very professional production, which you expect on Broadway, so while we weren't disappointed, we weren't blown away as we had been the first two times.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/26/15 at 11:43am

Interesting, Wee, I wondered about that very thing.  In talking to my DD about the show (we saw it together) I said I didn't know if I'd be interested in an additional viewing as I think what makes the show grab you, is the unexpectedness and shock of it all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#56HAND TO GOD (B'way) Reviews
Posted: 5/26/15 at 12:55pm

Between our first and second showings we felt no drop off in the experience at all.  Of course there was more time between those two showings than there was between the Lortel and the current Booth production, so that might have had something to do with it.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#57 Yuck!
Posted: 6/7/15 at 7:24am

I saw this yesterday and hated every second of it.  I was shocked how bored I was.  I usually go for this type of humor.  2 hours of people just screaming.  For violence and blood, Lieutenant of Inishman did it better.  For puppets having sex, Avenue Q did it better.  For a skewer on modern day religion, Book of Mormon did it better.  I thought the performances were very good, set was enjoyable, but other than that, I couldn't wait for this to be over.  This was my biggest disappointment in an overly disappointing season.  My two cents.