Straightest Musicals

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#50Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:04pm

Seriously, dude? You're asking what shows straight men like. That's not really appropriate, but beyond that, your answers will only be vague generalizations, which do not have a lot of truth when you want specifics. 

People's taste are specific. You seem to have a lot of opinions, so if you're trying to pick a show for someone, tell them why you picked.

As an example, my boyfriend lives for baseball and college football. He likes movies with blood, guts, gore, and mass carnage. He likes Scotch, barbecuing stuff, and debates whether small dog is a 'real dog.'. His favorite show we've seen together lately was Violet. He just thought it was really well done.

You can't assume.

Stereotypes still run rampant in society. As a young person, you're the future. Work on getting them OUT of our culture.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#51Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:05pm

Don't you get tired of that excuse?  If only we could HEAR you?  The spoken word is different from the written word.  If that's why we never understand you, the problem is STILL yours -- in your poor communication skills.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#52Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:06pm

"The problem is not the wording. Its the fact that you cannot hear the spirit in which it was said. "

The problem is not in our "hearing" of your question, but is rather your inability to transfer that spirit sufficiently and effectively into writing. 

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#53Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:09pm

This is a repulsive thread and proof that the musical theater has become a ghetto and caters to a smug, self-satisfied minority.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#54Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:11pm

Manly men do not attend musicals. Nor do they eat quiche.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:13pm

Not do they attend Soul Cycle classes.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#56Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:17pm

My sister Soul Cycled behind Jake. To hear her tell it, it was the greatest day of her life.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

jimmycurry01
#57Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:18pm

"The problem is not the wording. Its the fact that you cannot hear the spirit in which it was said." 

Wording always matters. That is the number one thing that causes the ill will toward you; that you are unable to understand the fact that how you put things puts people off.

Just for the hell of it, lets look at a question worded a few different ways. You tell me if wording doesn't matter as long as it is the same question being asked.

Do you think fags should be able to get married?

Do you believe that the sinful homosexuals should be able to enter the sacred union of holy matrimony?

Do you believe that gays have the right to marry? 

Now, essentially this is the same question being asked three times, but the wording is quite different. The wording of the first two would likely be perceived as being offensive to many people. Does the wording make a difference? I'm sure you'd agree that it does. Surely in your composition classes they have taught you how to know your audience and how to write for that audience. I challenge you to return to the original post here and edit it. See if you can rewrite it in a manner that is less off putting to the audience you are writing for. People will be more willing to engage with you if you can learn how to do this.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#58Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:19pm

don't tell me that you've never heard anybody say something like "that is the gayest show ever."

So why is my question all of a sudden offensive when we talk about masculine boys

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#59Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:20pm

My sister Soul Cycled behind Jake. To hear her tell it, it was the greatest day of her life."

That is deeply awesome.  And of course I was kidding.  This thread rocks.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#60Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:21pm

"that is the gayest show ever."

Yeah, that's pretty offensive to me, too.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Phillypinto
#61Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:22pm

jimmycurry, you are going in a completely different direction. I was talking about musicals for goodness sake

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#62Straightest Musicals

"don't tell me that you've never heard anybody say something like "that is the gayest show ever."
So why is my question all of a sudden offensive when we talk about masculine boys"

So you're defending your derogatory question with another derogatory phrase? 

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#63Straightest Musicals

Everyone here needs to unclutch their pearls.

Lots of gays love musicals. Some don't.

Lots of straights hate musicals. Some don't.

Philly asked a completely fair and valid question. Nothing offensive about it.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#64Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:23pm

Shows aren't "gay". They might have gay characters or actors in it, but shows do not experience sexual attraction.

Unless you use gay as an insult, in which case, seek help.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 05:23 PM

dramamama611
#65Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:25pm

1.  Because not all masculine boys are straight.  Just as not all effeminate boys are gay.  Basically when you reduce any human being to only one factor: their race, their sexuality, etc it is offensive.

I am female, straight and Jewish.  Not one of those things DEFINES me fully.  To assume anything about me because of any of them is offensive.

2.  Out of context, a comment like that (the gayest show) can be taken any number of ways.  Is that complimentary?  Derogatory?  Factual?  USUSALLY when used as an adjective, it is negative and only used by idiots.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jimmycurry01
#66Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:29pm

"jimmycurry, you are going in a completely different direction. I was talking about musicals for goodness sake"

No, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am saying that how you word everything you type makes a difference. People don't like you here because you fail to understand how to word what you are saying. Learn how to word what you have to say in a way that makes you sound like a reasonable, logical, and intelligent human being and you will find that people are willing to get along with you. Instead you go about calling people stupid, you offend as many as you can, and have become a troll. It seems that you only exist here to get a response. If you want to fix this, then you have some things to work on. If you don't, I believe you will find yourself blocked my the masses.

Phillypinto
#67Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:34pm

when i said "that was the gayest show ever" I actually remember when I was doing Xanadu and people said that because it is a gay show! Yes straight people LOVED it too, but i would consider that a gay show because of the music and dancing and drag and roller skating and girly-ness of the show! Yes i know there are masculine boys who hate musicals, and effeminate straight boys or whatever, but the reason i use stereotypes is because there is a lot of truth found is stereotypes whether you want to believe it or not! 

dramamama611
#68Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:37pm

BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO PERPETUATE STEREOTYPES.

Why do we bother?  It is clear (again) that you have no interest in learning/changing/admitting you may have erred.  

Phillypinto
#69Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:37pm

I understand what you are saying Jimmycurry but i really do not see my question as offensive, and not everybody on here does either.  If i worded my question differently it would still be the same question so i don't see what it matters. Would it be better if i said "What musical would straight men like?" That was what i wrote down first but thought that it would be offensive, and not accurate since i know straight men have enjoyed shows like Xanadu and Kinky Boots. Then i worded it the way that it is now. I dont really think it matters what way i would have worded like, you people would have slammed me for it no matter what just because its me!

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 05:37 PM

jimmycurry01
#70Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:39pm

"when i said "that was the gayest show ever" I actually remember when I was doing Xanadu and people said that because it is a gay show! Yes straight people LOVED it too, but i would consider that a gay show because of the music and dancing and drag and roller skating and girly-ness of the show! Yes i know there are masculine boys who hate musicals, and effeminate straight boys or whatever, but the reason i use stereotypes is because there is a lot of truth found is stereotypes whether you want to believe it or not! "

You are right, there is truth in stereotypes. Again, people would likely have carried out a lengthy conversation about this topic with you if you had asked the question in a reasonable fashion in the first place. Unfortunately, you didn't, and you refuse to attempt to solve that by simply restating your question in a manner that people don't find offensive, so this is what you get. Go ahead, wallow in the attention you are getting, it is probably what you were after in the first place.

Phillypinto
#71Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:41pm

I just added more to my last reply. If you can think of a better way to word it, let me know! But it doesn't matter cause there is no way around it !

Liza's Headband
#72Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:44pm

Listen, fruitloop. Ya need to go. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#73Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:47pm

What's even your purpose for asking? It's not like you stated in the original post that you're taking someone to a musical who has in the past exhibited a dislike for traditional, flashy, big song-and-dance musicals and would like to see something in a different vein. Instead, we just get a questions that is inflammatorily written which appears to be written with the intention of provoking a fight.

jimmycurry01
#74Straightest Musicals
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:48pm

If you had initially said something along the lines of , " While living on campus I noticed there is a stigma against musical theatre majors on campus. A lot of people view musical theatre as something gay. Why do you think this is and can you think of any shows that might change this preconception of musical theatre?" You would not have had to get around the question, you could have asked it head on and in a reasonable way that would have created an open dialogue on the topic without offending anybody. It is too late now, but in the future, just think about what you write before you write it.