pixeltracker

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread- Page 8

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#175Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/3/15 at 10:24am

Wow. I don't think I can say much that hasn't already been said. I attended the matinee yesterday and it will go down as one of the best theatre experiences of my life.

As soon as the lights went down and the actors began to appear on stage, I was flooded with such an overwhelming joy and feeling that we were all about to experience something very special together. I was certainly transported.

I have a special soft spot for Jake Gyllenhaal now (and the boy can sing!). He was a great Seymour and had fantastic chemistry with Ellen Greene (damn girl!) and it was beautiful to see him defer to her especially at curtain call. Thinking of him as one of the biggest movie stars in the country and the kind of roles he plays, it was really special that he chose to take on this part. You can tell he loved it and loves theatre. Ellen was clearly overwhelmed by the ovation at the end, I could see her face pretty well and it looked like she just didn't know how to handle all the adulation. Beautiful.

I think there were quite a few "big shots" there. I was sitting directly across the aisle from Norm Lewis and a few rows back from Alan Menken!

Also, someone who couldn't attend was asking about Playbills. I grabbed a couple that (crazy) people left behind ... hit me up if you want one!

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#176Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/3/15 at 11:05am

I saw this in 1983 in LA at the Westwood Playhouse (I know Ellen Greene was there because I remember being so happy that she got to replicate the role in the movie).  I would have loved to see this.  She still sounds fantastic.

brdway411
#177Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/3/15 at 12:19pm

"Man, what an amazing evening in the theatre that was. The sort of thing you'll never forget. The atmosphere in the audience was electric. It was a very appreciate and loving crowd. 
I can't add much to the praise about Greene and Gyllenhaal, really. Greene is definitive and had Gyllenhaal had more rehearsal time, he may have become a definitive Seymour. Killam is a natural comedian and I hope this isn't the last we see of him onstage.
if there was a weak link, it was Joe Grifasi as Mushnik- he was the least comfortable and sure, and his take on Mushnik not particularly inspired."

I agree with the comment on Joe Grifasi, he wasn't bad, just not comfortable.

brdway411
#178Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/3/15 at 12:33pm

"THIS just warms my heart so much.  If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Jakey struggles a bit to let go of Ellen's grip and then walks off stage to allow her to take the final bow (before they all come out to applaud her again and take one last bow).  What a class act he is.  

THIS should have been this year's Hollywood Bowl musical.  "

who ever filmed this started after we had already been clapping for 2 minutes. That was the 2nd or 3rd curtain call for Ellen. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#179Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/4/15 at 12:12am

This was the most blissful night I can remember in the theater. If there is a heaven, mine looks like this.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#180Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/4/15 at 12:41am

Love letters to Ellen Greene aside - I thought that this was very uneven in terms of the cast & the direction which never came up to the collection of experience that the leading lady brought with her. It must have been very disorienting to anyone other than Ellen in this. She really is a unique talent that you would think we would have more of but don't. From my mezz seat I felt I was back in the Orpheum watching the thrill of her eccentricity again with little difference. That alone is something special about Ellen & a testament to all of us to never give up & to certainly honor those that don't.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#181Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/4/15 at 12:48am

It really was so unbelievably moving to see how many people came for her, and leapt up for Howard Ashmsn's name. Sometimes I feel like there is no New York theatre "community" in any real sense. This felt like a community thanking and loving one of its own who so deeply deserves it.