pixeltracker

Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next- Page 3

Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next

rjm516
#50Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 9/29/15 at 9:13pm

Aaron would be great as Chris!!! I really didn't like the one on the West End. I saw him as Marius too and he reminded me way too much of an old Katherine Hepburn. 

BroadMagTech
#51Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 9/29/15 at 10:43pm

I have read several articles and they all say that only a few theatres can handle the technical size and scope of Miss Saigon. The theatres that are mentioned are the Lyric, Broadway, and Winter Garden. I think the Lyric might be too big. So what will it be, the Winter Garden or Broadway. Although Cameron Mackintosh can try convince ALW to close School of Rock, I think both the Broadway and Winter Garden are up for grabs. Thoughts?

Updated On: 3/5/16 at 10:43 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#52Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 2:18pm

Kim and the Engineer are cast: http://www.actorsequity.org/CastingCall/browse_notice.asp?NoticeID=39427&NoticeType=1

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#53Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 3:33pm

Hopefully, this won't start the same argument that is going on in the Harry Potter thread, but Chris and his friend (John?) would provide perfect opportunities to cast non-white actor-singers in roles usually filled by white performers. Sadly, Kyle Jean-Baptiste is gone, but I would have seen him as a good choice for Chris.

Audrey Liebross

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#54Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 3:49pm

AHLiebross said: "Hopefully, this won't start the same argument that is going on in the Harry Potter thread, but Chris and his friend (John?) would provide perfect opportunities to cast non-white actor-singers in roles usually filled by white performers. Sadly, Kyle Jean-Baptiste is gone, but I would have seen him as a good choice for Chris.

John is usually played by an actor of color in most professional productions (Peter Polycarpou excepted obviously). However, I don't believe his race is ever specified in the script, nor is Chris' for that matter.  John also seems to usually be cast older than Chris, but again, to my knowledge the script never specifies that. 

Kyle Scatliffe or Joshua Henry would both be great choices for either role.

Updated On: 12/27/15 at 03:49 PM

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#55Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 4:13pm

John does sing that one line "Stop drooling white boy, you're losing your cool," but I think that's the one time Chris's race is mentioned.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#56Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 4:24pm

Joshua Henry for John! He'd be perfect!

Dave19
#57Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 6:49pm

AHLiebross said: "Hopefully, this won't start the same argument that is going on in the Harry Potter thread, but Chris and his friend (John?) would provide perfect opportunities to cast non-white actor-singers in roles usually filled by white performers. Sadly, Kyle Jean-Baptiste is gone, but I would have seen him as a good choice for Chris.

Audrey Liebross

"

The only thing I find strange about that casting notice is that John must be "non-caucasian". The original John was caucasian and worked fine. Any race can work fine for that role.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#58Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 8:32pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "John does sing that one line "Stop drooling white boy, you're losing your cool," but I think that's the one time Chris's race is mentioned."

The alternate line is "farm boy," which I think can be used if Chris is non-white or both John and Chris are white.

Dave19, the original John WAS white, but very few after him were.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#59Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/27/15 at 10:55pm

Despite the affecting story and the brilliance of the music, I doubt I will see "Miss Saigon." I borrowed the original cast album from the library and couldn't even get all the way through. The story is too tragic, and it apparently isn't relieved by any comedy -- Boublil and Schoenberg made "Les Miz" seem cheerful by comparison.

I cry at the end of "Les Miz" every time I see it, but it's definitely an uplifting tale. When I listen to "They're Our Children, Too" and think about a mother's killing herself to give her child a better life, I become thoroughly depressed. BTW, I haven't seen the Broadway version or the touring version of "If/Then" either because, when I saw a Washington, DC preview, I cried my eyes out and became thoroughly depressed by the ending of the Beth (?) scenario. What can I say? I cried at the end of "Lincoln," even though I already knew the ending.

I believe that a musical must have substance in its story to become timeless. However, if the show's substance leads to a thoroughly unhappy denouement, I can't embrace it, despite its gravitas.

Audrey Liebross

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Dave19
#60Miss Saigon closing; Broadway next
Posted: 12/28/15 at 7:25am

I think you will love the show Audrey, it definitely has a lot of comic relief.

It is better than Les Miserables in my opinion.