News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for seaweedjstubbs

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
Member Name: seaweedjstubbs
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
 Aug 29 2024, 09:34:57 AM

^And that “vision” just isn’t enough for a lot of people. And that’s ok. I know it must suck reading other people’s negative opinions about your favorite show, but as long as the show makes you happy, why should you care what anyone else thinks? Maybe you could start a BACK TO THE FUTURE Appreciation Thread specifically for you and fans of the show to talk about how much they like it? I think that would be a better use of your time and make you happier than respo

OH, MARY! Reviews
 Aug 20 2024, 10:21:10 AM

Cole hasn’t missed a show during either run yet.

STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
 Aug 6 2024, 03:50:46 PM

blaxx said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "One of Broadway’s curses has just been broken."

It's never the theater, it's the show that people want to see or not.
"

Exactly. And let’s not ignore the fact that the current tenant at the Marquis has done exceptionally well since opening, even if the production itself is subpar. I do wonder how long THE WIZ could’ve maintained the numbers it’s been pulling if it weren’

Happy 5th Anniversary, MOULIN ROUGE!
 Jul 26 2024, 10:55:40 AM

I mean, it’s still the anniversary of the show’s opening regardless of COVID. That’s how anniversaries work. Pretty much every Broadway show that has had a milestone anniversary since COVID has just ignored the shutdown in its accounting. Wicked, The Lion King, Chicago, Hadestown, Aladdin, and now Moulin Rouge. It just gets messy and complicated when factoring in the shutdown. Maybe it’s a bit of false advertising to say “Celebrating [insert number] Years on Broa

Musical adaptation of film SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED from Nick Blaemire and Ryan Miller (Guster) to premiere at BAM
 Jul 18 2024, 10:19:55 AM

LOVE that movie and love Trensch! Fingers crossed this is good!

Protesters at Suffs tonight
 Jul 2 2024, 11:01:37 PM

Jeez. There are SO many things worth protesting right now, and they choose a Broadway musical? The Supreme Court just destroyed our democracy, but sure, it’s SUFFS that’s the real problem. Can’t roll my eyes hard enough. 

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 23 2024, 11:23:39 PM

Slightly off topic, but I just passed by the Majestic today and saw the new digital marquee. I absolutely hate digital marquees and think they’re making theatres look cheaper. Not to mention that they photograph horribly. So sad that yet another theatre has had their marquee replaced with a digital one. I guess it’s only a matter of time before they’re all that way. Sigh. Ok, rant over.

MOULIN ROUGE! Broadway Casting Thread
 Jun 21 2024, 11:00:05 AM

I’m not a dedicated Aaron fan, but it’s not too hard to figure out. He departed the show shortly after its 500th performance in 2022, then returned for 12 weeks in 2023. Considering the fact that he’s known for hardly ever calling out, I’d estimate that he’s somewhere in the upper 500s. Now for an exact number, that would definitely take a devoted fan!

This past weekend of understudies
 Jun 18 2024, 09:28:25 AM

Some sort of respiratory virus has been making the rounds at different shows recently, so that could be part of it. Before COVID, there was the whole “show must go on” mentality, and actors would just power through whatever sickness they had. We’ve heard stories about actors performing with the flu running offstage in between scenes to throw up in a bucket. After COVID, those stories stopped sounding “heroic” and just started sounding stupid. Why put your he

ELF Returning to Broadway this November
 Jun 14 2024, 06:27:36 PM

According to an Equity casting notice, ELF THE MUSICAL will return to Broadway November 16th and run through January 4th. Directed by Phillip Wm. McKinley and choreographed by Liam Steel.

THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Jun 14 2024, 03:04:36 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "Why is nearly every cast recording of The Wiz unwilling to record all three versions of Ease On Down the Road as they are performed in the show? Too repetitive?

But then there's a reprise of Ease On Down the Roadin act two? I don't remember that in the tour. How does that fit in?
"

They sing a slowed down “emotional” reprise when Dorothy is saying goodbye to the three friends. It’s…..a choice.

Loo

THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Jun 7 2024, 04:15:41 PM

^ This production opens with Dorothy singing a bit of “Soon As I Get Home” to establish Dorothy feeling lonely now that she has moved to Kansas to live with Aunt Em after her parents died, so that’s the “Preprise.” All the other songs you mentioned were dropped for this production, and we only get Glinda’s version of “Believe In Yourself.” The Wiz is an unrepentant a**hole in this version.

Hairspray (Revival)
 Jun 6 2024, 06:17:27 PM

In case you couldn’t tell from my username, Hairspray is my favorite musical and has been ever since I first listened to the cast recording. I’m also a Black male. Maybe my love for the show blinded me to some of its issues, but I never really thought of Tracy as a “white savior.” Tracy’s initial plan to get the show integrated fails and gets everyone thrown in jail. After that, she’s ready to give up, until Motormouth convinces her and everyone else t

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 May 31 2024, 05:36:46 PM

From the casting breakdown released today:

BREAKDOWN

GYPSY (Broadway)

SYNOPSIS: Rose, an ambitious “backstage” mother, treks across the country with her daughters searching for both survival and success with their homespun vaudeville act. Along the way, they encounter others in the shabby theaters they perform in who are similarly burdened by finding their own ways of surviving in show business. As times change, Rose is forced to adapt as vaudevi

Disney will launch North American tour of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in 2025, Broadway stop next?
 May 21 2024, 01:37:18 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "The tour will be using the tier 3 touring contract. Disney could afford to tour this on the highest level contract, so I’m shocked equity approved this."

I feel like Equity has no real power over this. They can’t even stop tours from going non-union, so how would they control what tier a tour goes out on? The good news is, this tour should sell extremely well, so the cast will hopefully make a good amount of overages. I’ve heard that the BEETLEJUICE tour has been selling so well that the cast is actually making more than they would’ve on a full production contract due to the high overages.

THE WIZ Previews
 May 12 2024, 11:08:11 AM

This show made me sad. Mostly sad for the performers who are so talented, yet are stuck in a production that looks SO cheap, even some community theatres would be embarrassed by it. I was hoping folks on this board were exaggerating but wow, every time a new scene began I was taken aback by just how terrible everything looked. I truly wonder how much work Hannah Beachler (Scenic Design) and Sharen Davis (Costume Design) actually did on this show. If I were them, I’d be too embarras

THE WIZ Previews
 Apr 10 2024, 12:05:50 AM

nativenewyorker2 said: "All I’ll say is the audience here is having 1000% more fun and has 1000% more energy than the audience I saw the immersive Cabaret with…and 1000% cheaper.

could be a case study in theater snobbery
"

……or maybe they are two extremely different shows that invoke different responses in audiences? CABARET is a very dark musical, and from what I understand, this production amps that darkness up. I&rsq

THE WIZ Previews
 Apr 3 2024, 03:27:44 PM

These reports make me wish we’d gotten the 2006 La Jolla production that was supposed to come to Broadway or the Encores production from 2009. From the clips I’ve seen of them, they both seemed to have possessed much more imagination and creativity, especially when it comes to the costumes. I can’t get over how cheap and just……bland these costumes look. To those harping on the original production also looking cheap, at least it had a distinct look and visi

Happy Feet on Broadway?
 Apr 3 2024, 12:52:22 PM

That film hasn’t really had much staying power over the years. The original film was pretty fun, but the environmental message felt VERY forced and kind of out of left field. The sequel didn’t do as well at the box office and wasn’t well received by critics. I don’t think it would be a wise decision to put it on stage.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/3/24
 Mar 6 2024, 09:34:25 AM

^ Except jukebox musicals and musicals based on movies aren’t selling out theaters either. At least, not when they’re mediocre, which they increasingly seem to be. Have we already forgotten about ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE, KING KONG, SUMMER, THE CHER SHOW, ALMOST FAMOUS, ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME, MRS. DOUBTFIRE, TOOTSIE, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, and NEW YORK NEW YORK? Nearly all of them were rejected by audiences and closed within a few months. Audiences a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You