News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for seaweedjstubbs

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
Member Name: seaweedjstubbs
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE WIZ Previews  May 12 2024, 11:08:11 AM

This show made me sad. Mostly sad for the performers who are so talented, yet are stuck in a production that looks SO cheap, even some community theatres would be embarrassed by it. I was hoping folks on this board were exaggerating but wow, every time a new scene began I was taken aback by just how terrible everything looked. I truly wonder how much work Hannah Beachler (Scenic Design) and Sharen Davis (Costume Design) actually did on this show. If I were them, I’d be too embarras

THE WIZ Previews  Apr 10 2024, 12:05:50 AM

nativenewyorker2 said: "All I’ll say is the audience here is having 1000% more fun and has 1000% more energy than the audience I saw the immersive Cabaret with…and 1000% cheaper.

could be a case study in theater snobbery
"

……or maybe they are two extremely different shows that invoke different responses in audiences? CABARET is a very dark musical, and from what I understand, this production amps that darkness up. I&rsq

THE WIZ Previews  Apr 3 2024, 03:27:44 PM

These reports make me wish we’d gotten the 2006 La Jolla production that was supposed to come to Broadway or the Encores production from 2009. From the clips I’ve seen of them, they both seemed to have possessed much more imagination and creativity, especially when it comes to the costumes. I can’t get over how cheap and just……bland these costumes look. To those harping on the original production also looking cheap, at least it had a distinct look and visi

Happy Feet on Broadway?  Apr 3 2024, 12:52:22 PM

That film hasn’t really had much staying power over the years. The original film was pretty fun, but the environmental message felt VERY forced and kind of out of left field. The sequel didn’t do as well at the box office and wasn’t well received by critics. I don’t think it would be a wise decision to put it on stage.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/3/24  Mar 6 2024, 09:34:25 AM

^ Except jukebox musicals and musicals based on movies aren’t selling out theaters either. At least, not when they’re mediocre, which they increasingly seem to be. Have we already forgotten about ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE, KING KONG, SUMMER, THE CHER SHOW, ALMOST FAMOUS, ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME, MRS. DOUBTFIRE, TOOTSIE, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, and NEW YORK NEW YORK? Nearly all of them were rejected by audiences and closed within a few months. Audiences a

Broadway Cares ripped for directing funds to Gaza  Feb 14 2024, 10:45:08 AM

Perhaps BCEFA speeches after shows vary show to show, but whenever a show I’ve been a part of makes a speech, we always mention that BCEFA sends money to many different causes, including disaster relief and recently the war in Ukraine. Are people getting BCEFA confused with the Entertainment Community Fund? That is the charity dedicated to helping support actors and other members of the entertainment community in need. BCEFA directs some of its funds to them, but they are not the same o

Fantasia was Robbed!  Feb 5 2024, 10:58:17 PM

Fantasia was indeed fantastic in the film. But if anyone robbed her of an Oscar nomination, it was the film itself. I don’t know whose decision it was to cut Celie and Shug’s fight that precedes “I’m Here” in the stage musical, but it was the worst decision they could’ve made for the movie. It robs “I’m Here” of all its power. The direction of the song didn’t do Fantasia any favors either. They just didn’t stick the landing wit

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development  Dec 28 2023, 04:34:52 PM

I very much enjoyed it, but there were several choices made that left me scratching my head.

SPOILERS AHEAD

As is typical with movie musicals, the new songs written weren’t as good as the songs in the musical. “She Be Mine” was my favorite of the new songs, yet I couldn’t help but wish they’d gone with “Somebody Gonna Love You” instead. “Our Prayer” would’ve been much better than “Keep It Movin’” and s

A Strange Loop Mini-Tour  Nov 6 2023, 01:14:55 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "It won the Tony for Best Musical. It should go to conservative states and cities, same as other shows. I don't care about loss of revenue or whatever... there are people in these places who need to see this show. Vulnerable ticket buyers who will feel less alone, ignorant morons who might learn a thing or two. We should not repress ourselves. Isn't that what the spirit of the show is all about?"

After the terrible audience response to the

COMPANY Revival On Tour - News & Discussion Thread  Oct 9 2023, 05:18:39 PM

jimmycurry01 said:

I don't think i have been to an equity touring production that hasn't used a slip to announce an understudy, and I have been to many.

"

Interesting! Maybe it’s a show by show thing? None of the tours that I’ve worked on used understudy slips, and I genuinely can’t remember getting an understudy slip in any of my Playbills from tours I’ve seen recently.

COMPANY Revival On Tour - News & Discussion Thread  Oct 9 2023, 09:32:34 AM

n2nbaby said: "seaweedjstubbs said: "n2nbaby said: “Matt Bitter needs a lot of work. His Broadway counterpart is as hilarious, and he just didn’t nail any of the humor.”

Matt Bittner is currently out of the show and will rejoin the tour later. You saw one of his understudies.

"

If that was the case, there was no slip in the Playbill and I’m 99% sure the cast board was empty.

"

COMPANY Revival On Tour - News & Discussion Thread  Oct 8 2023, 11:51:18 PM

n2nbaby said: “Matt Bitter needs a lot of work. His Broadway counterpart is as hilarious, and he just didn’t nail any of the humor.”

Matt Bittner is currently out of the show and will rejoin the tour later. You saw one of his understudies.

Biggest Tony Award Snubs Ever  Oct 7 2023, 04:52:51 PM

Patrick Vaill getting snubbed for his Jud Fry is something I just don’t understand. Such an incredible performance.

2024 Tony Awards will be held at Koch Theatre, Lincoln Center  Oct 4 2023, 05:18:18 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "And adding onto my “stair catch” comment, I seem to recall that Ariana and Julius actually spent a full week together (in and out of the rehearsal room) to forge a closer bond leading up to the iconic moment. I definitely remember them sharing a bicycle one of those days (per Ari’s Insta story), and I believe they saw a few shows together too."

They were already close friends long before the stair catch. Julius played Quique in the

THE WIZ National Tour and Broadway Discussion Thread  Sep 20 2023, 09:55:06 AM

Judith Franklin has a picture on her Instagram holding her script that says she’s the understudy for “Glinda & Addaperle,” so the role is definitely in the show. Perhaps it’s now a dual role and Deborah Cox will do both? Maybe they’re trying to keep that a surprise until opening? I have no clue. Guess we’ll find out next week! I’m excited!

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23  Sep 19 2023, 05:51:02 PM

Bill Snibson said:

“Let's not forget that productions are incurring big costs due to covid testing and taking on covid management teams."

Most shows dropped weekly testing requirements and let go their COVID management teams back in the spring. People only test now if they’re feeling sick.

Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID live-action movie musical - News & Discussion Thread  Sep 8 2023, 03:09:36 PM

KevinKlawitter said: "When I watched this movie in the theater I had the distinct sense that there was meant to be a song for King Triton that was ultimately cut.

Turns out, I was right!

He was the worst part of the movie IMO, so I’m glad they cut this. His casting sounded good on paper, but wow was he completely lifeless.

"

The non-Equity Hairspray tour uses Jack O'Brien's original direction and Jerry Mitchell's choreography.  Aug 25 2023, 02:21:32 PM

Not only did they sign off, they were actively involved in rehearsals when the tour kicked off two years ago. Most Non-Equity tours use the original direction and choreography from their Broadway counterparts, unless it’s a brand new staging like PETER PAN will be.

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Aug 14 2023, 02:46:58 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Voter said: "It looks like she has previous touring experience under her belt.... a smart choice!"

Yes, but playing a Dynamite in the non-Eq tour of Hairspray isn't the same as carrying this whole show. Hopefully she turns out to be more like Sutton Foster, less like Linedy Genao :)
"

Doing a Non-Eq tour probably gave her MORE stamina. Those schedules are brutal. And there’s no need to put down oth

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Aug 4 2023, 04:55:00 PM

AKarp2013 said: "ACL2006 said: "What roles were posted in the casting notice? Or might it just be for swings and understudies?"

https://www.playbill.com/job/monty-pythons-spamalot-broadway-nyc-epa-08-16-23-08-17-23/6a630893-3e9b-4eae-8d6b-8a10d887e617

All major roles listed. Interestingly Sir Galahad and Patsy are the only roles listed as already being cast.
"

The casting notice on Equity’s website only has Arthur and Lancelot open. The rest say “This Role Is Cast.”

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You