pixeltracker

Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended- Page 4

Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#75Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/28/15 at 9:27am

I'm a guy, and I'm not upset that I don't have a vagina, and I'm not upset about feeling offended or left out of the Vagina Monologues.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#76Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:00am

PRS, I wish you continued good health and am glad that you're doing so well in your recovery from stage III cancer. I also applaud your willingness to have people discuss how many, um, testicles you have -- you have undoubtedly inspired many men to realize that life is still worth living after cancer surgery.

Ace Katherine Plumber, I applaud your courage in telling people about personal matters. I have only one question: Are you REALLY a plumber? Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be  Offended If so, here's the one about a doctor who is getting ready to pay the plumber and says, "Your charges as a plumber are higher than mine as a doctor," and the plumber answers, "I know -- I used to be a doctor." [Yes, it's a groaner.]

Audrey Liebross

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#77Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:08pm

"""Because some dipsh:t brought him up."
What the hell is your problem?
 "

Anything goes in comedy, remember? I mean I laughed, so it's ok, right?"

It's fine. Just legitimately wondering what the problem is.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#78Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/28/15 at 9:45pm

"Gaveston writes:  "[T]he constant objectification of females gets just as boring after awhile as gay men who speak only in double entendres or quotes from show tunes."
Amen on the objectification of women. Question: is a gay man's quoting from a show tune, which I often do even though I am neither gay nor a man, is that a gay stereotype? I know that gay men frequently joke about their platonic interest in certain characters (e.g., Dolly from "Hello Dolly" or the Bea Arthur character from "Golden Girls"), but I'm not sure why they select particular characters."

Audrey, it's not a cliche if you quote a show, and I'm not complaining about the occasional theatrical reference (like the ones we see in this thread above).

I'm talking about a minority of gay men who think it's sophisticated to carry on entire conversations where every response is a quote from a show tune. That's all well and good for college sophomores, but, personally, I find it gets boring pretty quickly.

Likewise, I'm not opposed to an original double entendre; but as with everything else, repetition is tedious.

As for your question regarding which characters are quoted by gay men, I think (i.e., I am about to broadly generalize) that many gay men are attracted to outsized female characters bordering on drag (Dolly, Mame, Fannie Brice) or characters with a gift for snark, sarcasm having long been a gay male response mechanism.

Disclaimer: this is just a personal impression. I am not a sociologist and have not conducted formal research on the subject.

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#79Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:08am

AHLiebross: Thank you; I appreciate that!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#80Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:15am

Upon watching the film Auntie Mame my mother once exclaimed "I think every gay man has modeled himself on this woman!"

When I told a gay friend later he pointed out that at that time in history for gay men who couldn't marry or have families the eccentric spinster aunt must have seemed like an appropriate role model.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#81Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/29/15 at 8:00am

^^^^ Absolutely! Eve Kosofsky Sedgewick wrote an entire book on the subject of gay aunts and uncles and their importance as role models to we who are "differently abled". (Sedgewick's writing is almost impenetrably academic, so just take my word unless you like that sort of thing.)

In my case, it was a drama teacher who had Mame's flair and courage without all the recklessness. That teacher saved me from the tedium of evangelism and remained a close friend until her death 15 years ago. I still thank God for her every day.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#82Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:19pm

The one good thing about all the deletions in this thread is that I'm back to being a lady again!