An Actress as Hedwig

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#25An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:36pm

"...but Hedwig told me herself that she was a woman and that's all that counts."

Well then, that's a horse of a different color.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#26An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:36pm

Gaga would be perfect. Same with Lena. They have the acting skills Pink doesn't have

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#27An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/28/15 at 3:01pm

"A woman is (or not long ago was) under serious consideration for this role, or at least was wanted. But the one I knew of was not a pop star or a musical theatre star. A more "prestige" female actor. "

can you tell us who pleaseeeee

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#28An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 9:44am

"Is there some sort of benefit to having a woman play Hedwig? I admit that I don't see any payoff here, only novelty."

Yes. I totally agree with this. 

rjm516
#29An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 11:01am

I have always wanted to see Pink in this role; I think she would be wonderful. But now, I can't stop thinking about Tilda. I just want to see Tilda in every random role possible. 

WickedGinger Profile Photo
WickedGinger
#30An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 4:27am

I think people are desperate for this due to the versatility of the show. Stunt casting in my opinion is a major draw to this show. (And I use stunt casting in a positive light, on the current Broadway run I don't think there has been a 'bad' Hedwig as such.)

The whole point of the show is to challenge gender and people's perceptions. What another great dynamic for the show to explore a Woman playing a Gay Man who has made themselves into a Female Rock Star!

What could be interesting is once the have explored this could they then find a trans-actress to tackle the role?

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 04:27 AM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#31An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:42am

So Pink can't act but Gaga can?? Please. Pink is the one with film experience and actually received really good write ups for her performance.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

AEA AGMA SM
#32An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:03pm

Gaga must have some raw ability, as she was accepted into CAP 21 when they were still operating as part of NYU. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's still there, or wouldn't still need some major refinement (as she did leave the program early), but at one point in her life somebody saw something in her.

Not that I necessarily am a champion for her to take on this role, but I wouldn't dismiss her as an actress immediately just because she's primarily known for her music and Gaga persona (which, in some ways, is a 24/7 acting gig, because Gaga is essentially a character that Stefanie Germanotta created and developed).

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#33An Actress as Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 7:28pm

Taye is about a week into performances. Usually 2-3 weeks into a run they announce the next Hedwig. Anyone have any rumors?

Videos