pixeltracker

Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City- Page 2

Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#25Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:58am

SLC TV news reporter was outside for the whole show (or most of it) and saw no walkouts! https://twitter.com/BenWinslow/status/626249222862442496 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 12:58 AM

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#26Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:24am

"How was the reaction to All American Prophet - Elder Price's version? And what line(s) in I Believe got the biggest reaction?
And I assume the gasps with Hasa Diga Eebowai may have been louder than usual?"

I think the crowd really liked All American Prophet. I was impressed as the crowd really seemed to enjoy it. Also I heard a few moans like they appreciated it.

The Hasa Diga Eebowai. That did quiet the crowd a little bit. It seemed you got more nervous laughs more than anything else. Although the crowd did cheer at the end of the song 

To the American Moses. That's the part seemed to make people a little uneasy.  Some were laughing and some were in shock. However, I would say it was about the same as a regular crowd.

Also, a lot of people got a big laugh when they make it to SLC and the lyrics are F your woman and etc... That was big. 

At the end when they turn the Book of Arnold to the crowd, the crowd roared. That was much bigger response than I recall getting from the crowd in NYC.  

The reaction to I believe.  The biggest laugh was to the comment about blacks.  Also the Thomas Monson comment got a pretty good reaction.  Along with the comment about getting his own planet and a few others. Although I also feel a lot of people reflected many times during the song, as it was personal to a lot of people which includes active and non-active members of the church. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 01:24 AM

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#27Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:30am

"How many walkouts?"

Sadly, I sat in the second row, so I didn't get to see any walkouts.  I did look back many times during the show and breaks and I still didn't see any walkouts. So my guess was very little to none. 

I honestly believe the crowd was expecting much worse. As I have always described the show, I believe it celebrates religion. Sure the show has foul language, but the missionaries stay within character for the most part. If you go in with an open mind, you will realize it really says nothing bad about the religion. I believe most people got that as I heard comments walking out.

I would say well over 90% loved the show. I heard a few negative comments about a scene or two, but the vast majority loved it.  

broadwaysfguy
#28Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:15am

thanks dave for the fun play by play

AJ holmes is an INCREDIBLE cunningham, and I predict he will have the role on broadway soon

and yes, I love josh gad

and

i think AJ has found a way to squeeze even more out of this juicy role.....

This entire touring cast is a HUGE step up from last years first nat tour, and really is incredible, member by member....broadway level talent throughout the cast and better than any touring cast ive seen in a long, long time....

broadwaysfguy
#29Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:15am

thanks dave for the fun play by play

AJ holmes is an INCREDIBLE cunningham, and I predict he will have the role on broadway soon

and yes, I love josh gad

and

i think AJ has found a way to squeeze even more out of this juicy role.....

This entire touring cast is a HUGE step up from last years first nat tour, and really is incredible, member by member....broadway level talent throughout the cast and better than any touring cast ive seen in a long, long time....

LizzieCurry
#30Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 8:25am

I've seen AJ in every company he's been in besides the 1NT (he was out that night), and he's really, really improved. He's already been on Broadway as the standby, but agreed -- at this rate, I will not be surprised at all if he ends up here full-time.

lunch
#31Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:33am

How many in the audience were actually practicing, believing Mormons and how many were former Mormons, mildly practicing (is there such a thing in the Mormon Church?) or those never affiliated but obviously surrounded by the LDS culture in Utah?

I would assume people who bought tickets knew that they were going to see a satire about Mormonism.  The expectation that there would be large numbers of walkouts seems illogical.

LizzieCurry
#32Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:37am

This is a good point. But my lasting memory of seeing a show in Salt Lake was during the Les Miz tour and a number of people who turned to each other when Gavroche said, "But what the hell." Not that they were going to leave, but that they couldn't believe a kid was swearing.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#33Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:00pm

"How many in the audience were actually practicing, believing Mormons and how many were former Mormons, mildly practicing (is there such a thing in the Mormon Church?) or those never affiliated but obviously surrounded by the LDS culture in Utah?
I would assume people who bought tickets knew that they were going to see a satire about Mormonism.  The expectation that there would be large numbers of walkouts seems illogical."

That is a good question and hard to answer. About 63% of Utah, identifies themselves as Mormon. I seen numbers that only 41% are active members of the church. 

In Salt Lake County, it is about 51% and I have seen some other figures about 40%. I guess it depends on who is counting and whether you are only counting active members or including non-active. 

Then of course you have a large portion of the population that grew up in Utah, and are not Mormon,  but still get the jokes very well. Just like Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I moved to Utah about 21 years ago. So I am not Mormon, but I am certainly relate to the show a lot more than most people out of state. 

As far as the population that attends theater in Utah, in particular the national Broadway tours, I would say the majority would be non-Mormon or non-active as typical theater goers tend to be more open minded and liberal. 

Also, when the season tickets were offered last year, they offered 2 packages. One with BOM and one without BOM. I really wonder how many backed out of BOM as part of their season tickets. 

If I took a wild guess, I would say 20% of the crowd was active. Another 30-50%, non-active, with the remainder being non-Mormon, but been exposed to it daily on some level. I can't imagine there was anyone in the crowd that has never been exposed to it, like you find in other states. 

Updated On: 7/29/15 at 03:00 PM

WickedLittleRentHead Profile Photo
WickedLittleRentHead
#34Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:13pm

This is awesome. I would have loved to witness this firsthand.

Ranger Tom
#35Book of Mormon opening night in Salt Lake City
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:04pm

SLC is pretty much like a regular medium big city.  The real fun would be to see BOM when if it ever plays Provo.