Amelie at Berkeley Rep

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#175Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 10/19/15 at 11:12pm

For whatever it's worth, which might not be anything at all, I saw the show again Thursday night, and very little appeared to be different, though there were some minor changes, but regardless, I still enjoyed the show just as much as I did the first time. Even knowing everything that was coming, remembering the jokes and the imagery, etc, I was still very delighted by the show, still found it very charming and still really loved the music and the sets. I thought maybe I'd find problems with it the second time around, but I really just enjoyed myself all the way around.

I will say though, that while I don't mind the parts about Amelie's childhood, I definitely also wouldn't hate if they shortened that part, but it didn't feel as long the second time around, even though I'm sure nothing changed.

Also, for those saying the opening song needs to be changed, I completely disagree, that opening song, I feel, is perfect, it sets up the whole idea of breadcrumbs that the show builds itself on, the idea that one event or action leads to another and the way random paths end up connecting.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#176Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 10/19/15 at 11:32pm

It's so heavy-handed in introducing the themes of the show though

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#177Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:24am

According to Pam MacKinnon, she hopes Amelie will arrive on Broadway sometime in 2017.

http://playbill.com/news/article/director-pam-mackinnon-says-amlie-aiming-for-2017-broadway-opening-369732

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#178Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:38am

Interesting. I wonder if it was because they didn't want to be in such a crowded season, or if they needed more time to work on it, or both. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#179Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 11/2/15 at 12:07pm

^Or if they're waiting for the right theatre to become available?

In any case, it would seem like a good idea since it is not only a crowded season for the new musicals, but also for the Lead Actress Tony race.

As well as the fact that lyricist Nathan Tysen already has Tuck Everlasting coming in this season.

Updated On: 11/2/15 at 12:07 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#180Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 11/2/15 at 12:36pm

This is such a great decision. I'm so glad this show won't be trying to wedge its way into this hectic season. I still hold out my prediction that the 2016-2017 season will be a duel between Amelie and Anastasia...

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#181Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 11/2/15 at 1:13pm

If Amelie will come to Broadway in 2017, I sincerely hope they will recast Amelie's role, to possibly Phillipa Soo. Is it true she did a workshop/reading? I think she'd be perfect for the role and by 2017, she may be ready to leave Hamilton to originate a principle role on Broadway.

#182Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 11/2/15 at 3:03pm

2016-2017 is looking like another great season for new musicals with Dear Evan Hansen, The Bandstand, Amelie, Anastasia

Jeffrey Karasarides
#183Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 3/22/16 at 9:04pm

It was just revealed that the next production will take place at the Ahmanson Theatre in L.A. from December 4th-January 15th, 2017!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Ivo-van-Hoves-A-VIEW-FROM-THE-BRIDGE-AMELIE-Musical-and-More-Headed-to-the-Ahmanson-in-2016-17-Season-Announced-20160322

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#184Amelie at Berkeley Rep
Posted: 3/22/16 at 10:34pm

As I mentioned in the thread about the Ahmanson season, I think this is a good move for them. Hopefully they are using this time and production to work on the show. If they had gone straight to Broadway, the gap between productions might have been a bit too big for their own good. Plus, at the Ahmanson they will feel how the show plays in a larger house (the Berkeley Rep house was quite small). 

I'm really rooting for this show! I hope they make it to NY! I'm itching to hear some of those songs again (besides the you-know-whats floating around on the internet).