News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jeffrey Karasarides

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Member Name: Jeffrey Karasarides
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: https://www.karereviews.net/
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Carmen Cusack, Nik Walker & John Behlmann to Lead BULL DURHAM, A NEW MUSICAL at Duke University
 Jul 11 2024, 09:56:05 AM

As someone who lives in the area, I would love to see this.

Daisy Edgar-Jones to lead BEAUTIFUL: THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL film
 Jul 9 2024, 03:51:25 PM

Globefan said: "Now that Daisy is gone, who should play Carole?"

My first choice would be a fresh face. It would feel complimentary to Carole's arc in the show as she goes from aspiring songwriter to superstar recording artist. By casting someone who isn't necessarily a household name, it would make things easier for audiences to quickly identify the actress as Carole King.

Did Jessie Mueller deserve the Tony?
 Jul 3 2024, 11:40:13 AM

I previously wrote a whole piece looking back at the 2014 Tony race for Best Lead Actress in a Musical. In it, I made some points I'd like to mention here:

As someone who is also invested in the Oscar race, I've seen countless people on Twitter complain about voters going for biopic performances over portrayals of fictional characters, arguing that it's even harder to pull off the latter as opposed to the former. Common examples they've used are Eddie Redmayne winning for The Theory of Everything over Michael Keaton in Birdman, Gary Oldman winning for Darkest Hour over Timothée Chalamet in Call Me By Your Name, Rami Malek winning for Bohemian Rhapsody over Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born, Renée Zellweger winning for Judy over Saoirse Ronan in Little Women, and Jessica Chastain winning for The Eyes of Tammy Faye over Penélope Cruz in Parallel Mothers. A great name I'd like to use for this scenario is "artistry vs. mimicry."

Playing a real-life person can usually be an advantage to winning an award. Voters who aren't as intimately familiar with the craft of acting tend to find it easier to recognize how a performer is nailing the real-life person they're portraying. Legendary actor Humphrey Bogart once said "How in the hell can you judge one actor over another? The only way to judge fairly is let each nominee do Hamlet." Which I can see his point there. Any acting race will always have different actors facing different challenges, resulting in different kinds of performances. Come to think of it, maybe all five of these nominees should've played the exact same character. Thus, they all at least would've had the same challenges.

I will say that had Kelli O'Hara won for The Bridges of Madison County, then it's likely that Kristin Chenoweth would've beaten her the following year for On the Twentieth Century. Although the latter at least has a Tony for You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown back in 1999, so she's taken care of. Meanwhile, Jessie Mueller would eventually become overdue herself at this point. There was no way she was ever gonna win for Waitress up against Cynthia Erivo in The Color Purple. I don't think she would've prevailed for Carousel up against Katrina Lenk given how strong The Band's Visit was with Tony voters. So in the end, be glad things worked out the way they did.

You can read more about it in the link below.
https://www.karereviews.net/tonys-flashback-best-lead-actress-in-a-musical-2014.html

For the record, I thought Jessie definitely deserved the win.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Jul 1 2024, 06:51:06 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Now they have a few days to themselves before Moana 2 sets out to dominate the box office."

Especially after Inside Out 2 proved that audiences will still go out to see a new Disney movie in theaters and not wait until it's on Disney+ at a later date. Now, Wicked is set to open up against Gladiator 2, which could be this year's Barbenheimer.

Jul 1 2024, 08:57:07 AM

Kristy Cates is a professional actress who’s based in New York City. She made her Broadway debut in the original cast of the smash hit, Wicked, as the understudy to Idina Menzel, and can be heard on the iconic cast recording. She went on to play the lead role of Elphaba on Broadway, in the first national tour, and in Chicago. I had the great pleasure of interviewing her about her time with the show, excitement for the film, and more.

And the Tony Almost Went to...
 Jun 16 2024, 06:25:41 AM

As the Tonys are tonight, let's take a look back at last year's race for Best Musical.

And the Tony Almost Went to...SOME LIKE IT HOT

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 13 2024, 11:07:52 AM

Not only that, but there will also be a special tribute to Chita Rivera, which will feature performances from Audra McDonald, Brian Stokes Mitchell, and Bebe Neuwirth.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Nicole-Scherzinger-Will-Perform-During-Tony-Awards-In-Memoriam-Segment-20240613

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 12 2024, 12:37:12 PM

Presenters have finally been announced. Among them are…

Utkarsh Ambudkar
Nate Burleson
Cynthia Erivo
Jesse Tyler Ferguson
Josh Gad
Renée Elise Goldsberry
Sean Hayes
Taraji P. Henson
Julianne Hough
Jennifer Hudson
Angelina Jolie
Nick Jonas
Idina Menzel
Ashley Park
Jim Parsons
Wendell Pierce
Ben Platt
Anthony Ramos
Andrew Rannells
Solomon Thomas
Taylor Tomlinson
Pete Townshend
Tamara Tunie
Adrienne Warren
Patrick Wilson
Jeffrey Wright

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Find-Out-Who-Will-Present-at-the-2024-Tony-Awards-20240612

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 12 2024, 09:08:29 AM

CBS Mornings just did a segment on Stereophonic, where it was confirmed that the cast will be performing on the Tonys.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 11 2024, 09:41:15 AM

I'm currently watching Live with Kelly & Mark. Idina Menzel is the guest right now, and she just confirmed that she will be presenting on the telecast.

The Drama Desk Awards 2024
 Jun 11 2024, 06:23:19 AM

bwaylyric said: "I know the acting categories are non-gender specific, but I see no point in having two winners. If one winner gets more than 90% of votes, the runner-up still gets an award?"

I think one category should only have multiple winners if it was either a team effort or a tie.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 10 2024, 05:52:06 PM

While no list of presenters have been officially revealed yet, there is confirmation that Pete Townshend will be introducing the cast of The Who’s Tommy on the telecast. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Pete-Townshend-to-Introduce-THE-WHOS-TOMMY-Performance-on-the-2024-Tony-Awards-20240610

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 4 2024, 02:14:58 PM

^Now, it's been confirmed.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Julianne-Hough-and-Utkarsh-Ambudkar-Will-Host-Tony-Awards-Act-One-20240604

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 4 2024, 01:04:57 PM
According to Utkarsh Ambudkar’s Instagram story, he’ll be co-hosting this year’s Tony Awards: Act One (the 90 minute pre-show) on Pluto TV with Julianne Hough.
Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 29 2024, 04:00:08 PM

Jeff Tupolski said: "Rentaholic2 said: "What has Hailey Kilgore been up to?"

Think I said before during the initials rumors, butshe’s my current top choice for Louise. Then round out the main trio with Brian d’Arcy James.
"

I actually would love to see Danny Burstein play Herbie.

May 15 2024, 11:11:58 AM

As today marks the birthday of author L. Frank Baum, the first full length trailer has just debuted.

May 14 2024, 11:46:41 AM

Kad said: "I'm struck by how little of this marketing makes clear this is a two-part movie."

This is probably going to be similar to how the first Dune was advertised. None of the marketing for that mentioned it was a 'Part One' at all. It was only in the finished film that had it titled Dune: Part One. Although in that scenario, Part Two hadn't been greenlit for production yet. With Wicked, both parts were sho

May 13 2024, 01:11:00 PM

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
 May 9 2024, 12:46:39 PM
This year’s recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Tony Awards are legendary directors Jack O’Brien and George C. Wolfe.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jack-OBrien-George-C-Wolfe-Will-Each-Receive-the-2024-Special-Tony-Award-20240509

Disney+ developing Once on this Island film adaptation
 May 4 2024, 04:56:22 PM

I'm currently catching up with last week's episode of Broadway Names with Julie James on SiriusXM. Jocelyn Bioh was the guest, and she said this project is still in the works.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You