Demanding "Star" Roles

Showface
#1Demanding "Star" Roles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:06pm

What are some demanding "star " roles in the vein of Evita or Funny Girl?

Update: I changed the title, so there is no confusion. I mean basically what darquegk said, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the "others fading in the background part"

Updated On: 8/16/15 at 05:06 PM

brdway411
#2Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:10pm

If/Then

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#3Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:26pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:40pm

No one was a star in Millie.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#5Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:43pm

Gypsy, obviously.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#6Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:45pm

Hedwig, perhaps?

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#7Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:51pm

If/Then was certainly the first that came to mind 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:54pm

The producers?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bfreak
#9Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 5:59pm

Cabaret

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#10Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:09pm

Millie is absolutely demanding for that lead role

You wouldn't think of it as demanding but Seymour has to be in every scene except one of Little Shop of Horrors

I would also say: Beautiful, Hello Dolly, and Sunset Boulevard

Ranger Tom
#11Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:11pm

Drood - for both Drood and Puffer

Company - for Bobby

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:12pm

Jekyll and Hyde

Poster Emeritus

broadwayboy972 Profile Photo
broadwayboy972
#13Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:13pm

Wicked

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#14Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:21pm

Charity in Sweet Charity

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#15Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:32pm

What's your definition of a star-vehicle? I feel like there are tons of plays and musicals with big, juicy leading roles, which invites the casting of a star. But the term "Star-vehicle" strikes me as having a slightly negative connotation, as if the show's MAIN purpose is to showcase the star. Definitely shows like If/Then, Evita, Anything Goes and The Audience come across that way. Gypsy was written specifically for Ethel, and is definitely a "star-vehicle," yet it's also one of the most well-constructed, impactful musicals ever written.

Hamlet is considered by many to be the best play and among the best roles ever written, and though many stars have played the role, calling it a star-vehicle seems highly reductive to me.

Company may have a big, meaty leading role, but it wasn't written for a star, and most of the people who have played it have not been extremely famous. Also, one doesn't get the sense from watching Company that the purpose of the show is to show off the star. 

I guess I'm rambling a bit, my main point is that "star-vehicle" strikes me as a reductive term, and though it is a very accurate description of many shows, I wonder where the line is drawn between being a star-vehicle, and being a show with 1 or 2 large, well-written roles. What do you guys think?

Updated On: 8/16/15 at 06:32 PM

Showface
#16Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:37pm

When I say "star vehicle", I mean a show with a clear and distinct lead or "star". It has to be pretty demanding too.

I wouldn't say a "star vehicle" is a bad thing. 

Updated On: 8/16/15 at 06:37 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:44pm

Ahhh, I totally took it to mean the show NEEDED a star.  My bad.

(And yes. Millie is an enormous role)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#18Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:56pm

Ok, if we're using that definition, tons of shows come to mind (many of them include 2 distinct leading roles, rather than one, but I'd still consider that in the same category):

The Elephant Man (title role)

Fela! (title role)

Hamilton (title role)

Hedwig (title role)

How to Succeed (Finch)

The King and I (both title roles)

Lady Day (title role)

Les Miserables (Valjean)

Peter Pan (title role)

South Pacific (Emile and Nellie)

The Visit (Claire) 

Sunday in the Park with George (George and Dot)

Fiddler on the Roof (Tevye)

Forum (Pseudolus) 

Carousel (Julie and Billy)

Equus (Alan and Dr. Dysart) 

Grey Gardens (Edie) 

Man of La Mancha (title role)

Sweeney Todd (Sweeney and Lovett)

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#19Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 6:57pm

Definitely Beautiful, If/Then and Gypsy 

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#20Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 7:04pm

I'd add The Phantom of the Opera for Christine -- it's a VERY demanding lead role, even though the Phantom is treated as the star.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#21Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 7:20pm

The Act

The Visit

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#22Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 7:33pm

I see "star vehicle" as meaning, in this context, a show which, despite not being a one-person show or two-person show, rests so heavily on the talents and frequent onstage presence of one performer that the rest of the cast, solid as they may be, fade somewhat into the background.

Shakespeare has no star vehicle shows- even big roles like Othello, Lear and Hamlet are backed by enormously important and present supporting leads. It's a much more common conceit in musical theatre.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#23Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 7:39pm

The OP is using the term "Star Vehicle" incorrectly.

The term was coined to mean exactly the way it reads- A role that was written to be a vehicle for an already bonafide star. The best examples are Merman/Gypsy and Menzel/ If Then.  The other roles you are mentioning are good roles for leading ladies. (Lupone was not a star before Evita).

Also, The Emcee in Cabaret was written as a small fill in spot to cover set changes in one.  Notice Joel Grey's position on the original title page.  Cabaret was a vehicle for the stars Lotte Lenya and Jack Gilford since it was written for them and they were already known at the time.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#24Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 7:50pm

Lily from On the 20th Century

The Leading Player and Berthe in Pippin

Matilda & Annie

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#25Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 8:10pm

"The Leading Player and Berthe in Pippin"

I'm sorry but how is Berthe a star role? Have you even seen the show, she's in one scene?... Do you mean Pippin from Pippin, who's in almost every scene???